Jeep Wrangler 2 door Gullwing door

mikebrewer

next steps

As the prototype progresses i will be sure to post all the details about what going on with this project. still deciding on whether it should be all clear with locks or semi metal with locks in the aluminum portion. let me know what you think.

Whaler

Adventurer
I too would love to have this option on my XJ. I took inspiration from this guy's hatch window made for the 60 & 80 series cruisers: http://wagongear.com/shop/flip-up-hatch-window/ The XJ's rear panel isn't perfectly straight, but the "roll" is slight enough that a straight metal window frame might still work... which would be far easier to fabricate.

mikebrewer

getting closer

right now Ive figured out exactly what hardware ill be trying to use and the way it will be mounting into the window. Im planning on having it mount in a two part system that sandwiches onto the existing lip where the glass is glued to.(this is to ensure a watertight seal) I'm also working on the finish of the window and some of the mounting screws to make sure it has a great look. Im thinking that that the perimeter piece that holds in the hydraulic window on the outside will have some flush mounted allen screws similar to whats found on the poison spyder rock armor. Im getting closer and closer to a finished product so ill be sure to keep you all updated about everything thats going on. after this jk one is complete i will look into having one made for the xj.

thanks

Attachments

• P8010051small.jpg
    P8010051small.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 85

mikebrewer

progress + rotopax and Maxtrax mount

This coming Monday ill be sitting down with the fabricator and a Cad expert so that we can dial in exactly what we want for the first run. I should be getting some more information about when it should be done and how it will be made. i will also be able to provide some images on a 3D version of it. Also ive been looking at things that would mount well on the side of the all black metal version(which i like to call the utility window) The 4 gallon rotopax would mount perfectly in the space and im also considering doing a Maxtrax mount for it as well. i measured out the maxtrax, and on a 2 door jk it would be the perfect size to not interfere with teh door and not go past the end of the car. (the maxtrax mount would look like the defender pictured below). Both options;the rotopax and maxtrax would be supported by the internal gas shocks and wouldn't effect the windows ability to open. Like always let me know what you all think and ill be sure to keep you all updated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 65
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 57

Gonzzo

Observer
Hey mikebrewer:

I got your p.m. and replied but I'm not in tune with tapatalk so just want to make sure you got my reply.

Keep up the good work! .

mikebrewer

production

just got back from my glass guy ad we are a go. the first prototype is being made right now. ill post photo updates as it is made.

mikebrewer

IMG_1315.jpgIMG_1316.jpg

still need to have some detail related stuff done and to work out how to glass is going to fit. As of now there is just an aluminum panel but soon there will be the clear glass that was talked about before. the all aluminum was done to work out the proper sizing. powder coating will be completed after the product is finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal