Jeff's Cargo Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The original axle installation was about 3/4" out of square.

Did the trailer sway with this much difference?

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Nice work Jeff... Seems to be a few different builds recently off of cargo trailers. I like it!

How did you attach the "wings" to the chassis? Can you give a closeup? I'm going to do something like that for mine too.

How much wider is the trailer track width than your truck?

Thanks... Don

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Hi Jeff,
What's the interior height like, please ?
Is it "full standing" ?

Interior height is 5'10". I can't stand straight up @ 5'11 1/2".
Next winter I am going to add some sort of a pop up or extended roof.
Doesn't bother me now. Most time spent inside will be sitting or laying down.
Thats is one of the reasons for the kitchen being in the rear accessible from the outside.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Nice work Jeff... Seems to be a few different builds recently off of cargo trailers. I like it!

How did you attach the "wings" to the chassis? Can you give a closeup? I'm going to do something like that for mine too.

How much wider is the trailer track width than your truck?

Thanks... Don

Almost dead on. But I planned it that way.
Outside to outside on the truck is 74" and the trailer is the same. Fenders and wings are 1" wider per side.
Wings are welded to 1/8" 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" angle steel, drilled and tapped from the bottom with 5/16" bolts and through bolted horizontally with 1/2" bolts.
I can jack the trailer by them or stand on them.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Ok, here is the doors

DSCN0005.jpgDSCN0006.jpgDSCN0007.jpgDSCN0008.jpg

Ok, you are going to have to stay with me on this one because it might get confusing.
The trailer came with one large rear door, swinging right hand reverse. I wanted to mount a folding shelf on the door with a hold open @ 180 degrees to put the stove on. When I first mounted the shelf on the original door, it flopped about and there was no way to cook on it. So I tore the door open and it has been slapped together with 3/4" pine.

So, picture #1 is of the new door in a closed position, steel framed, insulated with new paneling. That is a full length hinge you see running down the center line of the doors.
Picture #2 is of the first leaf opened. The second leaf is still latched by a top and bottom manual flush bolt.
Picture #3 is of the second leaf open 180 degrees. You can just make out the flush bolts at the bottom and top of the door.
Picture #4 is of the first leaf folded at a 30 degree angle along side the passenger side of the trailer. I am making a latch to secure this door to the wing/step you see at the bottom of the pic, there by locking the door leaf with the stove on it in it's 180 degree position. Blue tape is where the exterior shower connection will be.
Did that make sense to anybody?
Sorry everything is such a mess, I am moving too fast to keep cleaning up and the ideas are flowing.
The FWC is sitting on its dolly giving me dirty looks.

Jeff

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Interior height is 5'10". I can't stand straight up @ 5'11 1/2".
Next winter I am going to add some sort of a pop up or extended roof.
Doesn't bother me now. Most time spent inside will be sitting or laying down.
Thats is one of the reasons for the kitchen being in the rear accessible from the outside.
Jeff

Thanks. That helps put it all in perspective. Just curious. I like the extended roof idea...

<snip>

Did that make sense to anybody?
Sorry everything is such a mess, I am moving too fast to keep cleaning up and the ideas are flowing.

Gotcha. It's a great idea !

This is great stuff. Keep the ideas flowing ! ! !

The FWC is sitting on its dolly giving me dirty looks.

LOL ! :xxrotflma

Balzer

Adventurer
So if I follow you right the first part of the door swings out, then the second part swings out for the stove, and the first part then creates a sort of shower stall, behind the stove wall/door?

At any rate Im diggin this build!

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Actually the first leaf folds back 30 degrees and is pinned to the wing/step to stabilize the second leaf. I will take pictures of the pin and it's location and it will make more sense.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Door hold open

DSCN0010.jpgSo maybe this will bring it all together.
This is the pin that fits into a tube I welded into the wing/step.
DSCN0012.jpg
Looking from the other side of the door.
DSCN0015.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
In goes the shower.

Ah hot water!
2012-02-08_16-50-41_646.jpg
This is the one thing I am really looking forward to. I don't have hot water in the FWC.
If you haven't seen these before, they come from Europe and are imported and sold by Adventure trailers.
I haven't figured out how to take it apart yet, but I will. I want to put a longer hose on it.

DSCN0016.jpg
I also installed the Fantastic Fan and wired it up.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
A stabilizing situation

DSCN0018.jpg
When I changed the suspension and axel out, the increase in height meant that the stabilizers that came on the trailer were too short and useless.
So I fitted perforated channels through the side steps, welded to the steps and fitted and bolted side plates through the body into the frame.
Very happy with the way they turned out. Very stabil!
DSCN0017.jpgDSCN0019.jpg

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater