Jerry Cans

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I don't have experience with this company, but I do have experience with Wavian. I have several and they are just a leak proof as my surplus cans. I got all my wavians from Rovers North or Atlantic British or someone like that. It was a long time ago.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I may be mistaken, but I think selling new NATO cans in the US is not against the law. Definitely make sure about that before ordering. It would suck to have them seized at port of entry.

Eventhough

Explorer
I may be mistaken, but I think selling new NATO cans in the US is not against the law. Definitely make sure about that before ordering. It would suck to have them seized at port of entry.

Check that. It is very difficult to get a direct answer - BUT - all the research I did into Federal (EPA) laws before my company carried gas cans pointed to that it WAS ILLEGAL to sell or purchase new "non-CARB" compliant cans. Basically the CARB regulations stated in CA and then were adopted by the Feds. IIRC gas cans have to be red, have a spill proof spout, and maybe some other jazz. I can get non-CARB cans aaaaaaaaaall day long but won't sell them for fear of getting wacked with a HUGE fine by the Feds. :-(

shogun

Adventurer
Check that. It is very difficult to get a direct answer - BUT - all the research I did into Federal (EPA) laws before my company carried gas cans pointed to that it WAS ILLEGAL to sell or purchase new "non-CARB" compliant cans. (

When you discuss legal issues, terminology and semantics are important. Perhaps it is illegal to sell non-carb GAS cans, but maybe not illegal to sell non-carb cans. You will note that companies that sell these all state that they are not legal for GAS use. What you do with them is up to you.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
When it comes to customs, I'm pretty sure they go by what it is, not what it's labeled. I can't label 1999 D110 with a PTO mower attachment "agricultural equipment" and import it.
In any case, the ones in the OP link are labeled gas and/or fuel cans.

Eventhough

Explorer
When you discuss legal issues, terminology and semantics are important. Perhaps it is illegal to sell non-carb GAS cans, but maybe not illegal to sell non-carb cans. You will note that companies that sell these all state that they are not legal for GAS use. What you do with them is up to you.

If you want to argue semantics with the Feds or a judge then that is up to you - go for it. From a business perspective I won't touch selling these cans as the potential fines are HUGE. Several business sell them but I won't based on what I've found.

Ghostdog

Observer
Maybe slightly off topic, but here it goes: A friend and fellow motorhead has a couple of older metal Jerry cans he inherited from his father. He is going to give them me, which is cool in itself, but assuming they are in sound condition, any issue in actually using them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3