Jerry Cans

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I ordered one of the 10L cans from Sportsman's Guide, and I'm a little disappointed. It is definitely NOT a Wedco, as I was hoping it might be.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=984598

It looks nice and appears to be well made. The weld mating the two halves of the can is VERY well done. The shape of the can is slightly different than what is pictured. I don't know what the lining is, but it appears to be the same paint as on the outside.

But contrary to what the ad claims, it is NOT "USA MADE." On the bottom, in big letters embossed into the metal, it says "MADE IN CHINA." That's what disappoints me most.

Overall, it's a pretty nice can and will likely be just fine. It's just not what I was expecting or what they claimed.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The listing is certainly misleading, but, based on the layout, it looks like the "Made in USA" only applies to the 20L can.
I can see how it would be very easy to think they both are.

herdnerd

The listing is certainly misleading, but, based on the layout, it looks like the "Made in USA" only applies to the 20L can.
I can see how it would be very easy to think they both are.

I bought 2 of the 20L cans. They have the same Made in China stamp on the bottom. However, I am certain they will work well for the limited time I will use them.

Mark

2013-07-10_11-11-48_982_zps550f585b.jpg

2013-07-10_11-12-28_683_zpsf3d354e2.jpg

2013-07-10_11-13-04_102_zpsc0b16602.jpg

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Well, that blows that theory.
Might be worth trying for a partial refund, maybe the cost of shipping both ways since that's what they'd be out if you return them because of their incorrect information.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Might be worth trying for a partial refund, maybe the cost of shipping both ways since that's what they'd be out if you return them because of their incorrect information.
A refund is not a problem. I've been a customer of SG for more than 10 years, and their customer service is excellent. I sent them an email in the middle of the night about my issues and before noon they responded and offered to refund my money and ship it back at their cost. I'm not going to do that, because it is actually a well-made can.

I currently have a pile of NATO cans, 8 or 10 20L, 2 10L, and 4 5L. I'm probably being picky, but I would really like the can pictured because it would more closely match the genuine NATO cans. The 20 liter can that herdnerd posted is a fairly close match to NATO cans, but the 10 liter they are shipping is shaped differently. It isn't the can they picture, and it isn't U.S. made. The front and rear surfaces are round instead of flat. Other than that, I like it.

I'm going to put gas in it and lay it on it's side in the sun. If it hasn't leaked in a couple of days I'll be satisfied with it, in spite of the fact it's the wrong shape and made in China. I'll live with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1075 1024.jpg
    IMG_1075 1024.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1074 1024.jpg
    IMG_1074 1024.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 32

herdnerd

I sent an email to the company saying they are misrepresenting the product, but I am not asking for a refund. I had a good idea what I was getting into before my purchase. I had read the customer reviews before I ordered and saw several comments that they were made in China. Plus, at that price level, you have to assume they are not US made. They will work just fine for me on one trip a year.

Mark

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
at that price level, you have to assume they are not US made.
Yeah, I guess prices have gone up a lot. The last lot I got from them, used, about 12 years ago were about $10 each and made in Germany. They are quite nice, with little metal tags on them for different fuel types that you can swap.
Not long after a got a bunch of Swedish ones, IIRC, from Cheaper Than Dirt for $10.

cdn_xj

Observer
Has anyone considered these?

I have a Scepter MWC (a blue one) for drinking water and have found the quality to be top notch. Which, it would have to be since they have now been adopted by the UN as well as the US Military in addition to having been MFC and MWC suppliers for the Canadian Forces for quite some time.

I plan on adding an additional blue and 2 black for non-drinking water as well as a couple of MFCs.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Has anyone considered these?

I have a Scepter MWC (a blue one) for drinking water and have found the quality to be top notch. Which, it would have to be since they have now been adopted by the UN as well as the US Military in addition to having been MFC and MWC suppliers for the Canadian Forces for quite some time.

I plan on adding an additional blue and 2 black for non-drinking water as well as a couple of MFCs.

Of course. Those Scepter cans are the ones everybody wants. However, they're now illegal in the US and can only be bought used at high prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3