JK Cab Closeout Kit

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Does anybody know if there are any manufactures planning on coming out with a JK cab closeout kit? AEV does them, but they insist on doing the work, at $30k price tag, and it comes with the bed and other things I don't want. I contacted EVO and talked with Mel. EVO did the Resq1/Discount tire JK. They quoted me between $8k - $10k to close out the cab on my JK. Another option is Burnsville Offroad, who I have yet to contact. All of these have been custom, one off setups that have to go to the shop for the conversion. Has anybody heard any rumors about a company making a closeout and hardtop kit? This idea is to flatbed the back for a FWC UTE flatbed camper, or another type of camper.

uqynuqu5.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
AEV are well known for their custom one-offs.
Did you ask if they'll just do the frame extension and a few other bits and pieces and leave you to do your own flatbed?

-Dan

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I did, and they very abruptly said, not a chance. I even asked about bringing the Jeep to them for the brute double cab conversion with everything, minus the bed. Again, they said absolutely not. To be honest with you, they were kinda rude about it. But if you're in bed with them, I'm sure you could get whatever you wanted. It's a shame, as I already ponied up the coin for their front and rear bumpers, hood, snorkel, and 4.5" suspension.

LowBudget

GPS Man
Some people lack vision...
I have envisioned my LJ with a setup like that. Good luck! Its too bad AEV wants to be boring.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I did, and they very abruptly said, not a chance. I even asked about bringing the Jeep to them for the brute double cab conversion with everything, minus the bed. Again, they said absolutely not. To be honest with you, they were kinda rude about it. But if you're in bed with them, I'm sure you could get whatever you wanted. It's a shame, as I already ponied up the coin for their front and rear bumpers, hood, snorkel, and 4.5" suspension.

Huh, thanks for the info.
I read their forums daily, and I assumed they'd be receptive to such a one-off, just for the fun of it.
I was wrong, bummer.

-Dan

jpat30

Adventurer
That does indeed suck. I think your idea for your jeep would awesome. I really like the Burnsville pic you posted. It definitely gets the creative juices flowing. It is my personal opinion that jeep refuses to produce a closed cab pickup of their own due to an "agreement" of sorts with companies such as AEV. A kinda of you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. AEV produces a lot of product for Jeep and knows that if Jeep decided to produce their own in house version of the brute, it would more then likely result in a substantial loss of revenue for the company. Lets see, would you rather pay 50K for a off the lot Jeep truck or 100K for an AEV conversion. Once again, this is just my personal opinion:)

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
The other option is to get the double cab brute, then simply take the bed off and sell it. But, I don't think that would be a very easy sell. I'd have to find somebody on Pirate4x4 building a very custom rig, who might be interested in the brute bed for his project.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I did, and they (AEV) very abruptly said, not a chance.
Thanks for saving me a useless phone call. I, too, wanted to investigate a project needing a stretched JK frame, and thought AEV might be the go-to place. :(

Good luck with your project and, obviously, let us know if you'll find someone who will take our money . . . or at least discuss it pleasantly.

Inline6

Adventurer
I'm good with the look and concept as well. Thinking the JK platform does not have the weight rating needed. Add a dana 80 rear to it and a 60 up front. Or just put a jk body on a power wagon frame.

aluke0510

Adventurer
Agree just buy a truck. By the time you extend the frame, close off the cab, and put a flat bed on it you will more than reach the GVWR of the Jeep with passengers and fluids. The camper will make you go negative on the legal weight rating of the Jeep, also the weight at which insurance will tell you they aren't responsible for anything since you were operating the vehicle outside of the design limit. Through in supplies for a week and those fridges y'all like, etc. etc. You'll be way over design constraint of the vehicle.

It is already going to be the length of a truck with the payload designed for a truck which you are trying to make work on a light frame that is extended beyond design on a light suspension, steering, brakes...

the59sound

Observer
Look up jeeps j8 kit. It is a DIY kit that makes it a truck. Mopar designed it to be put on at certain dealers however if you can get Mel to put it together then that's an option

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

aluke0510

Adventurer
Or if you just have to have that look I remember seeing a YJ body once mounted on a truck frame. Consider these aluminium tubs for something like that. http://www.aqualu.com/jeep-cabs--boxes.html
CJ, YJ, and TJ versions. To do it properly by yourself if you have all the equipment you need you will probably be looking at 50k in parts. And at the rate most of us Jeep modifiers/restorers move 10yrs... 100k to have somebody do it properly for you. Basically designed to carry the loads you need. Or 30k for a good lower milage full-size truck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy