JK longjevity question

twiisted71

Adventurer
I've not driven a modern Jeep JK. I have owned a 2000 TJ with hardtop and full doors and air-I still wouldn't choose to use it for long distance duty. I've had plush ext cab 4x4s and still would rather my '01 Excursion or Sport Trac. For "non-trip" use give me something fun and classic-I can put decent seats in.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Nothing wrong with your '14 JKU, but

I'm still trying to figure this one out...I'm 6'3'' and in my 14 JKU I need to raise the seat to get proper line of sight. When the seat is cranked to the floor I have a foot of headroom and am sitting too low.

To chime in on the subject in general, my 14 JKU is my 2nd JK and my 6th Wrangler (YJ and TJ's) overall. I have an 11 and 14 year old that occupy the back seat frequently, occasionally a couple hundred pound dogs too. The JKU does everything great IMHO. I used to have a heavily modded TJ, a truck for towing and general DD stuff, and the wife's SUV for family hauling. One day I came to the realization that I love driving a Jeep every day and want one that will do everything in one package. JKU is totally it, reason I'm on my second one is that my 08 just didn't have the power and economy I wanted nor did it tow well enough. After looking at the powertrain upgrade with the pentastar and all the other optional amenities added in the newer JK's that make for a more pleasant DD it was a no-brainer. My new JKU rubicon is comfortable, capable, spacious for the family, tows enough, has ample power, and plenty comfortable for daily use.

Now the above is my 2 cents, so that and a quarter won't buy you a cheap cup of coffee anywhere!

There wasn't anything wrong/w your '08 JKU either, except Chrysler put the wrong diff. gears init-

If you had regeared, you'd be right about even with your new jeep, course everybody wants a newone, so more power toyou !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

b1pig

i've had: (by order of purchase)
96 XJ
73 CJ5
98 ZJ
07 JKU Rubicon

the JK out-rides all of them. the XJ ride was ok, but even in the 3 years i owned it, it was clunky and quirky. the CJ rode like a brick. i put Rancho 1" replacement springs on it, and it actually rode better. but not good. the ZJ. well. that was a machine. 4.0 engine is a beast. the JK? if i had held out and bought a 3.6, i'd sing a different song. as it is, my '07 is a very good rig. the 3.8 is ONLY thing i really do not like. (though i can point fingers at the crummy 42RLE trans also) i've had a '11 journey and currently have a '12 caravan. both came with the 3.6 engine... and it is a very powerful engine.

mods i've made that i consider worth while?
putting a diablo trinity tuner in my JK made "some" difference in driveability.
Corbeau LG1 seats. (wanted Mastercraft, but got an awesome deal)
dead pedal. best $50 i ever spent on that jeep

mods i hated?
K&N intake. sold it. resonance was horrible.

i wouldnt trade my JK for any of my previous jeeps. it rides great. tows many things it shouldn't. goes places it shouldn't.
would i choose a XJ over it? noooo. if i wanted a trail-rig that never saw a wash bucket and soap? XJ.

LL247

Observer
There wasn't anything wrong/w your '08 JKU either, except Chrysler put the wrong diff. gears init-

If you had regeared, you'd be right about even with your new jeep, course everybody wants a newone, so more power toyou !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I totally agree and in retrospect should've kept it. Fortunately the rubi I just got has a lot of nice amenities for a DD that makes it much easier to swallow 2 hours of daily commute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk