JK longjevity question

njjeepthing

Explorer
Having owned both a XJ and a JK, it's a tough call. I liked them both, but for different reasons. Finding a nice low mileage rust free XJ around here is not an easy task either. Trust me, I've been trying to replace my 01 XJ Anniversary Edition and can't find anything nice within reason. (Low mileage, rust free, Decent shape)

Let me throw another one out there for you! Buy and build a Commander. You get 7 passenger seating, the option for a V8 to easily tow your trailer, and it's different! Not a lot of built Commanders out there compared to the built JK's and XJ's around. Sure aftermarket support is tight, but you have plenty of budget to do some cool customizing IMO.

Commander_sw_007.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Hahaha, yeah....................OKAY. Somebody is choosing an old CJ7 or 80's wagon as their DD over a new JKU :rolleyes:. Ive owned a boattload of Jeeps and compared to the JKU, everyone of them rode like ********....except my WJ. Ive had the JKU for over 2 yrs now......I still love it and you couldnt pay me to switch back to an older jeep.

I will admit I HATE the friggin Jeep wave now though.

X2. And the whole older is better is getting old as well.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Having owned both a XJ and a JK, it's a tough call. I liked them both, but for different reasons. Finding a nice low mileage rust free XJ around here is not an easy task either. Trust me, I've been trying to replace my 01 XJ Anniversary Edition and can't find anything nice within reason. (Low mileage, rust free, Decent shape)

Let me throw another one out there for you! Buy and build a Commander. You get 7 passenger seating, the option for a V8 to easily tow your trailer, and it's different! Not a lot of built Commanders out there compared to the built JK's and XJ's around. Sure aftermarket support is tight, but you have plenty of budget to do some cool customizing IMO.

View attachment 193858

X2. My younger brother has one with a mild lift and it is quite capable. With the Rocky Road 2.5 inch lift and electronic traction control it did Poughkeepsie Gulch near Ouray Colorado with little problem.

twiisted71

Adventurer
Hahaha, yeah....................OKAY. Somebody is choosing an old CJ7 or 80's wagon as their DD over a new JKU :rolleyes:.

Well the CJ is fully resto-modded with the 304 V-8, mastercraft seats, A/C, PB, PS. Its kinda like having a '67 Mustang GT fully resto-modded and having a brand new Mustang GT. He said it rides good and its a nice "vehicle" but its not a keeper. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one if given to me. However if it was my $30K+ being shelled out, I'd go a different route. But thats me-others like to have the latest greatest thing out there with all the gov't mandated nanny devices and full factory warranty and for them its money well spent on things they value. The guy I'm referring to bought the JK out of curiosity mostly. 60K miles later, he's done with it, and someone will get a creampuff when he trades it in. I'm not that flush and tend to research my purchases a bit more and then look for that used creampuff to drive into the ground or until necessity forces me to change them out.

irish1371

Adventurer
that commander looks very nice. If there was more stuff open to them for after market I would love to add it to the list of possibilities.

When we go get the wifes overland summit I plan on taking a jku for a weekend. I find I have to sit in a vehicle for more than an hr test drive to find what I like and hate.

I have sat in a few jk's. They were base models and the seats were horrible.(which can be changed) and I found I was too high , looking at the roof line through the windshield( that really annoys me). SO I have to try one loaded with adjustable seats before I say yes or no on the jku. I will be adding a small pop up for "local" trip and we will be grabbing a c class rv for longer trip and then flat tow the jeep behind.

Interesting to hear about the middle of the rear seat on the jku I will have to browse on that some.

Thanks for the help folks it is good to get some input from people who "don't Know you" so they don't tell you when they think you want to hear.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Hahaha, yeah....................OKAY. Somebody is choosing an old CJ7 or 80's wagon as their DD over a new JKU :rolleyes:

I would. I drove a CJ8 for many years and loved it. I have an LJ now and love it but not as much as the 8. There's just something about old iron that is so cool. They're fun to drive and quite engaging. The JK's (I've been on quite a few trips in them thanks to my buddies) are nice but kind of stale.

CJ's were built to be utilitarian vehicles. Basic interiors without all the luxuries and a tried and true four wheel drive system. They weren't meant to get you there in style or luxury but they will get you there.

If you're looking at Wranglers and ride comfort is such a concern, maybe the Grand Cherokee is more in line with that need.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I would. I drove a CJ8 for many years and loved it. I have an LJ now and love it but not as much as the 8. There's just something about old iron that is so cool. They're fun to drive and quite engaging. The JK's (I've been on quite a few trips in them thanks to my buddies) are nice but kind of stale.

CJ's were built to be utilitarian vehicles. Basic interiors without all the luxuries and a tried and true four wheel drive system. They weren't meant to get you there in style or luxury but they will get you there.

If you're looking at Wranglers and ride comfort is such a concern, maybe the Grand Cherokee is more in line with that need.

What's fake four wheel drive systems?

bdp1978

Adventurer

If you guys LOVE driving Old CJ's so much...then why dont you? There are plenty of solid ones still on the market. Also, I think theres a BIG difference in DD'ing for those who live in a city vs those who live in Bumfu*k nowhere. Some of you guys sound like Harley Davidson riders talking about how new Jeeps "Dont Have Soul"

The JK is "Boring"..... its "Stale" ....it's "Uninspiring" ........ WHY? Because it's the best out of the box package Jeep has ever built? Because it can travel across the country comfortably and then still run through moab.....and then drive back? I just dont get some of you guys. So you've got a 2013 Rubicon JKU and a Brand new 1978 CJ7 sitting in your driveway and you're heading out to see the Grand Canyon and then do some trails on the way back.....you're going to take the CJ?

LL247

Observer
I have sat in a few jk's. They were base models and the seats were horrible.(which can be changed) and I found I was too high , looking at the roof line through the windshield( that really annoys me).

I'm still trying to figure this one out...I'm 6'3'' and in my 14 JKU I need to raise the seat to get proper line of sight. When the seat is cranked to the floor I have a foot of headroom and am sitting too low.

To chime in on the subject in general, my 14 JKU is my 2nd JK and my 6th Wrangler (YJ and TJ's) overall. I have an 11 and 14 year old that occupy the back seat frequently, occasionally a couple hundred pound dogs too. The JKU does everything great IMHO. I used to have a heavily modded TJ, a truck for towing and general DD stuff, and the wife's SUV for family hauling. One day I came to the realization that I love driving a Jeep every day and want one that will do everything in one package. JKU is totally it, reason I'm on my second one is that my 08 just didn't have the power and economy I wanted nor did it tow well enough. After looking at the powertrain upgrade with the pentastar and all the other optional amenities added in the newer JK's that make for a more pleasant DD it was a no-brainer. My new JKU rubicon is comfortable, capable, spacious for the family, tows enough, has ample power, and plenty comfortable for daily use.

Now the above is my 2 cents, so that and a quarter won't buy you a cheap cup of coffee anywhere!

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
If you guys LOVE driving Old CJ's so much...then why dont you? There are plenty of solid ones still on the market. Also, I think theres a BIG difference in DD'ing for those who live in a city vs those who live in Bumfu*k nowhere. Some of you guys sound like Harley Davidson riders talking about how new Jeeps "Dont Have Soul"

The JK is "Boring"..... its "Stale" ....it's "Uninspiring" ........ WHY? Because it's the best out of the box package Jeep has ever built? Because it can travel across the country comfortably and then still run through moab.....and then drive back? I just dont get some of you guys. So you've got a 2013 Rubicon JKU and a Brand new 1978 CJ7 sitting in your driveway and you're heading out to see the Grand Canyon and then do some trails on the way back.....you're going to take the CJ?

Yes I would take the CJ 100% of the time. Just for the shear experience of it. It just comes down to personal preference thats all. A beautifully restored back to stock CJ will turn my head way faster than any modern Jeep.

Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, I fully agree with you the JK is the pinnacle of the wrangler line. Not taking anything away from that. I grew up driving CJ's and that ride just feels like a Jeep to me. Who knows, maybe I'm a masochist!

bdp1978

Adventurer
Yes I would take the CJ 100% of the time. Just for the shear experience of it. It just comes down to personal preference thats all. A beautifully restored back to stock CJ will turn my head way faster than any modern Jeep.

Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, I fully agree with you the JK is the pinnacle of the wrangler line. Not taking anything away from that. I grew up driving CJ's and that ride just feels like a Jeep to me. Who knows, maybe I'm a masochist!

No, you didnt ruffle my feathers at all. A restored CJ....any CJ for that matter turns my head faster than a modern jeep as well. I guess theres just 2 schools of thought. I would drive the CJ to and from the office on Fridays etc and love to have one in the garage....but for the long haul and everyday use give me the modern technology and comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk