jk pop top?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Hi everyone,
Aev built a prototype for sema a few years back, however it looks like they have no plans to build one!

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/show_jk_outpost.php

So then rises the question is there enough interest in the jk crowd to build these??

My name is Derek Weber I have a company call Colorado Camper Van
www.coloradocampervan.com I post on the portal regularly in the van and full size section. We build pop top conversions for vans and Top Bunks. Top Bunks are self contained roof top tents built right here in the USA. The Top bunk line has been around for over 15 years but the Top Bunk company has been dormant for the last ten years. CCV has brought the product line back to life and is now selling new units again.
We are thinking very seriously about manufacturing a integrated pop top hard top for the jeep jk. It would be much like the AEV sema jeep top, we would sell them as a complete unit with either a core charge or take your old hard top in trade. We would like to keep the price around 3000 but that number may go up or down depending on how r&d goes.
My question to the forum is how many people would really be interested in spending 3k on a top like that for their jeep?
If your seriously interested drop us a line on the contact page of our web site and tell us what you would like to see in a JK pop top.
Thanks
Derek

Jeepster

I'm in, where and when do I send in my deposit?????? It's a gotta do and would be just super spectacular. I pull a completely rebuilt M416 trailer, but don't like the RTT price, so I sleep in the back of my 4dr JK on a super nice air matteress and like sleeping back there, so the JK poptop would be uber perfect for my taste. I loved my old Westphalia VW campers and the pop top.

I will sign up on your web site to keep track of how ur doing on the project. It's certainly not for everyone, but with all the 4dr JK's out there, I would think demand would be pretty good as many folks are hesitant to do a trailer thing and just keep their adventure traveling with a minimun of hardware and complexity. Good luck !! :victory:

2manytoys

:drool: I'd be very interested in one. Like Jeepster said where and when do I send in my deposit? If you can keep that price point I think your going to be very busy. Will you still have the ability to remove the top and run a standard soft-top?

Desert Dan

Explorer
I'd be very interested

Do you have any preliminary drawings of what you have in mind?

Keep it simple and light weight. Maybe a bed up top and an optional single bed bench on one side and a lightweight kicthen set up on the other side?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Very cool I figured this would get some people excited. To answer some questions I am currently staying focused on just the pop top conversion it will not involve any interior build out on the actual jeep, however that could be a option I would love to build an interior for a jk much like a drifta kitchen
http://www.drifta.com.au/
I am just getting started on my van interior build so customers have an example of my interior work. The hard top would still be removable and a soft top could be installed in its place. The top bunks are under 100 lbs so this whole set up should be whatever a JK hard top weighs plus 75 lbs. I agree weight and strength are top priority. As far as sleeping arrangements go it will sleep two adults and up to two children if you add two we bunks to the inside of the top bunk. A Wee Bunk is a steel framed hammock/bunk with a safety net for a child (up to 100 lbs) to sleep in.
Thanks
For the interest.
Derek

dsw4x4

Adventurer
A Jk roof is approximately 90 inches long that is 7.5 feet long. So that leaves three possibilities
1. A six foot bed with a access hole about 18 inches by 34 inches wide. Not sure if this will work or not till I get a top here to measure up and look at to see if that is possible.
2. A six foot six inch bed with a removable panel that would allow you to climb into the bedding area you drop the panel back in place and go to sleep. This my least favorite because it would be awkward to fumble around with the panel to go to bed.
3. And last is you access the top from the outside using a supplied collapsable ladder. I may be leaning toward this option because chances are the rear of your jeep packed with coolers and such. This way you would not have to unload your jeep to go to bed just pop the top and go to sleep. When your done climb out put the ladder in the top close it and hit the trail.

Is there any Jk owners on the front range willing to work with me??
Derek

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
JK pop top seems like a no-brainer and such an untapped market (or maybe "un-filled" :???: ) for those not wanting to go to the fully built XV-JP. Wildboar I belive also has a grandios plan for a modular multi-configuration top/RTT/Awnings.

But...I will never run a JK (unless they one day offer the RUbi in a 2Dr. LWB Diesel 6spd Manual Variant...) so for me:

Could you figure out a pop-up based on the 1st Gen 4Runner??? If you can build a top for the JK, the 4Runner shouldn't be too hard at all. There are no doors and it's got all the nessescary mounting points etc. All I really want is like a Westfalia style or even a Dormobile style pop-up for the rear removable section (read: not over the cab) and no bunk built in, just want it for headroom above the existing bunk. COurse I guess it could flip out over the hood ala the XV-JP and create a seond bunk in that area. My goal is for something I can swap my regualr hard-top for when not needed but then have the pop-up for extended trips with the GF where we sleep in the back of the truck. My planned rear drawer-system will take up alot of the room below the bunk that translates into a raised bunk and decreased head-room. I don't need to stand up, I just want to sit up and have room to stretch and get dressed...

I'm sorry for the day-dreaming ramble.

Cheers

Dave

dsw4x4

Adventurer
4 Rescue,
That build seems reasonable, get a hold of me through my web site if you really want one. I have several options for your ideas. For a build like yours I could find a used top locally and build it then you could pick it up or even have it shipped. Let me know.
Derek

BPage

Adventurer
4 Rescue,
That build seems reasonable, get a hold of me through my web site if you really want one. I have several options for your ideas. For a build like yours I could find a used top locally and build it then you could pick it up or even have it shipped. Let me know.
Derek

Derick I hate to be that guy that ask the stupid question but have you seen the thread "JK/J8 Flippac rumor??"

They seem to be working on a similar build at a similar price... and they already have the prototype built?

Last edited:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Bpage,
Thanks for the heads up I have heard and seen the jk flippac. Either way it does not really concern me I do not want to make flippacs. I like the flippacs however in a rainy climate storing a wet tent over your head to drain into your jeep every morning is not something a lot of people want. I would imagine flippac will address this somehow but I am sure there will still be people out there looking for something different ie "lighter and more affordable". Every RTT and flip out or pop up camper is different and has its place in this world. Sportsmobile has made pop tops long before I decided to, but I have quickly found out that there are people out there that want something different than what SMB offers. I enjoy thinking out of the box and building these custom pop tops and top bunks and as long as I can find clients wanting variety then I get to keep doing what I enjoy.

I would be very interested in picking one of these up for my JK. Though it would be a couple years before I got to doing that, but I am still very interested. Now I am 6'3" tall (or long) would I be able to lay down comfortably? Either way, I say go for it and demand may be just a prototype and a picture away. I'll keep looking back for updates. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3