JK Wrangler 3.8l vs 3.6l Pentastar

jkjp

I owned a 2009 JKUR auto with 4.10s. for 5 years. Around town it was ok. I absolutely hated it on the road. Constantly downshifting, terrible power. I let my son drive it to high school for 3 years then sold it. I now own a JKUHR auto with 4.10s. Better in every way. Much nicer to drive around town and an unbelievable difference on the road. It will now shift into 5th gear or stay there while climbing hills. Also big improvement inside. This one's a keeper. I would say anyone sticking up for the 3.8 hasn't owned both.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Hands down, had a 2011 with the 3.8 and traded it for a 2013 with the 3.6 and 4.10 axles and the auto. Was perfect with 35's... Plus working and oil changes on the 3.8 are a pain.... 3.6 is 30 minutes and done with no mess...

I wouldn't buy anything older than 2012 unless my goal was to swap in a Hemi.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I can change my Oil in the same amount of time with NO mess. I don't understand that logic. buy a new vehicle to make an oil change easier? Really? Like I said, I have driven both, there is not that much difference in them. yes you can pass faster in the pentajesus, but everywhere else its pretty much the same. I owe nothing on my rig, Not taking on a car payment when my rig is perfect. When it dies then yea. I would not get a new Jeep just to get a new jeep and to say I have a pentajesus engine. Its not that good.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
Hands down, had a 2011 with the 3.8 and traded it for a 2013 with the 3.6 and 4.10 axles and the auto. Was perfect with 35's... Plus working and oil changes on the 3.8 are a pain.... 3.6 is 30 minutes and done with no mess...

I wouldn't buy anything older than 2012 unless my goal was to swap in a Hemi.
Oh I don't know, I'm still very much in love with my 06 LJ. There's nothing like a 4.0l inline 6.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Totally agree and my oil change takes about 10 minutes total !

I don't need a new jeep, mine is very well capable/comfy and very paid for !

I do agree that if you have an older jeep and aren't happy with the performance/mileage/comfort--all you gotta do is modifyit or getta new one-

Same old story-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

kojackJKU

Like I said earlier, if the jeep is paid off, and working good, why bother. To trade and take another payment just to say you have more power, I don't understand. You can only drive the speed limit anyways.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Like I said earlier, if the jeep is paid off, and working good, why bother. To trade and take another payment just to say you have more power, I don't understand. You can only drive the speed limit anyways.

I don't think anyone here is worried about speed limits as much as they are the best engine/trans combo for running larger tires and slightly better mileage.....

dstock

Explorer
I don't think anyone here is worried about speed limits as much as they are the best engine/trans combo for running larger tires and slightly better mileage.....

You are wasting your breath, despite many, many people giving actual reasons for why they made the switch, kojackJKU will continue to argue it's a waste of time despite the fact that he has no relevant time behind the wheel of a 2012+ JK, whereas the rest of us have driven both pre-2012 and post 2012 for a couple of years and thousands of miles.

kojackJKU

I do have relavent time behind the wheel, I rent one every time I go anywhere. I have about 4 months total behind the wheel....not just a test drive.

dstock

Explorer
I do have relavent time behind the wheel, I rent one every time I go anywhere. I have about 4 months total behind the wheel....not just a test drive.

So then not on your daily commute, not one that has been modified in any way, not towing a trailer....

epiccosmo

Adventurer
You are wasting your breath, despite many, many people giving actual reasons for why they made the switch, kojackJKU will continue to argue it's a waste of time despite the fact that he has no relevant time behind the wheel of a 2012+ JK, whereas the rest of us have driven both pre-2012 and post 2012 for a couple of years and thousands of miles.

Didn't realize he was a heckler...

I upgraded to the 2013 from 2011 for multiple reasons:

1) Decided I really wanted to wheel and it was cheaper to upgrade from the 2011 Sahara to 2013 Rubicon with 4.10's than to make the 2011 capable of same spec
2) 2013 with auto & 4.10's were "perfect" with 35" tires
3) While I loved my White Sahara I fell in love with Crush Orange
4) Hated the oil change process on the 3.8
5) 3.6 mileage with 35's vs the 3.8 stock wasn't a huge decrease as sticking with the 3.8
6) Read enough bad experiences with the 4 speed auto to not look at sticking with a 2011 or older 3.8

Could go on with more but overall the 3.6 and redesigned interior were leaps and bounds better than 2011/2010 and older.... And trust me, never tried to race anything off the line....

kojackJKU

So then not on your daily commute, not one that has been modified in any way, not towing a trailer....

your point? I have about 4000 miles on various 2012 ups from renting them. No they were not modified, mine is with bigger tires and lift. (2011), and like I said, I don't see the big deal. I will say the 2013 up seats are MUCH nicer. but not worth wanting another car payment.

dstock

Explorer
your point? I have about 4000 miles on various 2012 ups from renting them. No they were not modified, mine is with bigger tires and lift. (2011), and like I said, I don't see the big deal. I will say the 2013 up seats are MUCH nicer. but not worth wanting another car payment.

You've already made my point.

kojackJKU

You've already made my point.

Really? I figure putting 4000 miles which is 8000kms which is more than some people drive their rigs in a year is warranted as ample seat time. Just because I don't own one, does not mean I cannot comment on driving one? Actually I am probably more qualified than YOU as I drive both back to back regularly. Again, mine has larger tires and lift so that makes it more "sluggish" and I don't see a big difference. If someone's JK was dying and they needed to toss a crap load of money at it, yes. its' worth upgrading, but if the jk is working great I do not see the reason to have another payment when you can use that money for other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad