JK X Suspension help

hackattack

I own a 2008 JK. It has a AEV front bumper with a Warn winch and AEV skid plate. The back has a tuffy security box. The front sags and is now higher than the rear. I dont want to add a lift kit to the vehicle as it will entail replacing more than the suspension. I am looking for a fix for the front and a way to keep the rear level when I add the weight for our excursions. I was thinking of putting in rear coil spring air bags but am unsure of what to install in the front. Is there a heavier duty stock size spring for the front possibly?

AZchris

Adventurer
With all that added weight it seems you may have to go with a suspension upgrade. You may look at a 2-2.5 inch system which will yield you less than that much with all your add ons.

The other approach would be to use spring spacers, but with that much sag you suspension is under a lot of stress, so an upgrade would be a much better option.

hackattack

Well other than the front suspension carrying the winch and bumper the rest of the weight would be removed when we are done for the trip and not carried on a daily basis afterward. I have heard that the 4 door JK's have heavier duty springs all around due to the heavier vehicle. Would using 4dr springs in the front and rear maybe help.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
You'd probably be better off running a medium duty spring from OME. Their spring ride better than any of the OEM Jeep spring I've seen.

jsmoriss

Explorer
You'd probably be better off running a medium duty spring from OME. Their spring ride better than any of the OEM Jeep spring I've seen.

x2 on the OME coils. If you get the right coils, they'll compensate for the extra weight and bring you back to stock height. Get an alignment done afterwards and get the specs for your axle alignment and front pinion angle. If you got too much lift, you may have to get adjustable trackbars to re-center the axles. Your pinion angle should be fine, but if it's under 4 degrees, you'll probably want to replace your front upper or lower control arms to get your caster closer to 5 degrees. David from northridge4x4 should be able to recommend the right coils.

js.

keithro

Adventurer
If you just want to level things out get the ACOS by JKS. They are adjustable, but are $$ for what you are getting. Different springs might be a better answer.

What do you mean by replacing more than the springs if you go with a lift. A JK is light years ahead of a TJ in that aspect. The control arms on my friends JK are amazing from the factory when compared to my TJ crap. We did a 2" OME lift on his JK and he is now very much level with his winch and bumper and clears 33x12.50's on the trail all day long. Kinda annoys me a little....Go with the OME HD coils. You wont be disappointed.

JeepinJon

Observer
If you run a TJ coil from the 4.0 motor you will be close to stock up front for height, and the spring can handle the weight much better (if you want to completely eliminate rake add a 1" spacer too). In the back I would look into the 4 door JK spring. and an air bag combo just so you can adjust it if needed.

skaggs9573

Observer
Mopar sells heavy duty springs, look around some forums and you might find some springs off a Rubicon with the hard top and tow package. And maybe put some 3/4 inch spacers on the front or the rear. I think someone on JK-forum has a set for sale. I have the Rubicon Springs and a Teraflex 2.5 budget boost on mine, with the Skyjacker 3/4 spacers on the front. I'm also running a Mopar front bumper and an 8000lb winch.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
Maybe a leveling kit would be an option? They are a spacer kit with a bigger spacer in the front. My JK does the same thing (nose down). I have the tow package so the back is already "lifted" a bit and I too would live to level it out.

Anyone try a leveling kit (3/4 rear, 1 3/4 front spacers) with 33" tires? Sorry for the hijack!:sombrero:

njjeepthing

Explorer
I have the Teraflex leveling kit with 285's (33's) on my 2 door JK Rubi. Love the way it looks, rides, and took the rake out with my Warn winch on the front. Only thing I did different, and this was suggested by Teraflex was to use a 2.5 coil spacer in the front instead of the 2" that comes with the leveling kit. They swapped it out at purchase for me. Only reason he suggested this was in case I added a heavier bumper up front.

hackattack

I have been looking at the OME 2 inch kit and am now thinking of going that route. All the forums I have read said it was more than 2 inches. I am hoping that is not the case. I am not wanting to lift the vehicle but am looking for a suspension that gives me stock height or close to it. But can be used for adding weight in the form of supplies without sagging after they are in. Thats why the airbags for the rear and heavier duty for the front due to just the bumper and winch there. I may go to the OME as I dont have to replace any brake lines or steering or get a transfer case lowering kit or such. any info on the final installed height of the kit is appreciated.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
I have the Teraflex leveling kit with 285's (33's) on my 2 door JK Rubi. Love the way it looks, rides, and took the rake out with my Warn winch on the front. Only thing I did different, and this was suggested by Teraflex was to use a 2.5 coil spacer in the front instead of the 2" that comes with the leveling kit. They swapped it out at purchase for me. Only reason he suggested this was in case I added a heavier bumper up front.
Did you have to use wheel spacers (assuming you are on stock wheels)? I am thinking of doing exactly what you did. What tires did you go with? I was thinking around 285/70-17 to keep my stock wheels and hopefully no wheel spacers.

njjeepthing

Explorer
Did you have to use wheel spacers (assuming you are on stock wheels)? I am thinking of doing exactly what you did. What tires did you go with? I was thinking around 285/70-17 to keep my stock wheels and hopefully no wheel spacers.

No wheel spacers on mine and I am using stock Rubi wheels. Running Duratrac 285's, couldn't be happier with the tires.

I'll try and snap some pics soon. Suppose to be in the 50's here today, the Jeep needs a bath to get all the salt and sand off of it from all the snow storms.

njjeepthing

Explorer
I have been looking at the OME 2 inch kit and am now thinking of going that route. All the forums I have read said it was more than 2 inches. I am hoping that is not the case. I am not wanting to lift the vehicle but am looking for a suspension that gives me stock height or close to it. But can be used for adding weight in the form of supplies without sagging after they are in. Thats why the airbags for the rear and heavier duty for the front due to just the bumper and winch there. I may go to the OME as I dont have to replace any brake lines or steering or get a transfer case lowering kit or such. any info on the final installed height of the kit is appreciated.
My old 2 door Jk on OME HD springs and 35's for comparison.
DSC_0162.jpg

and my old 4 door on 35's with a Teraflex coil kit.
DSC_0451.jpg

Sounds like you need some AEV progressive rate springs, check them out as well.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/nthdegree_jk/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk