Just lost my Engine....

Jeeplander

I haven't been on in awhile.... I Just moved into my new home.. in the process on setting up my garage...... bammm... Something happened in #2cly. No warnings....nothing.... Now the next question is....rebuild or grab a new or used engine.... Jeep is a 97 - 2.5L - auto - only 140km's. Only for the fact the body etc is in great shape, I have no problem in dropping the cash..... A new 4dr JK would be nice tho... Has this happened to anyone else?? New, Used or rebuild

Jeeplander

Not sure yet.... Oil pump was fine....I haven't had a problem with the engine, I'm having it checked out by a rebuilder.... I'm very lucky, because It happened here in town.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
What do you mean, something seems to have happened with the #2 cyl? That could mean a lot of things. What are the symptoms?

kjp1969

Explorer
I had excellent results with a used engine for a miata- claimed 80k miles and I dropped it in and revved the you-know-what out of it for 20k miles (it was a street and race car) before selling it. I don't know if you can expect similar reliability from a Jeep engine, but the price is usually right on a junkyard engine, and a changeout is usually just a matter of plugging in wiring harnesses and plumbing.

Photog

Explorer
It could be a few things; but the simple problems with those symptoms are:

1) dropped a valve or valve seat.

2) broken rings

3) broken connecting rod or wrist pin

Depending on the problem will dictate the need for another engine, rebuild or repair.

Jeeplander

and the winning answer..... exploding piston..... I never heard of this before..... Everything else was fine...oil pump...cam shaft etc...... Piston came apart and spread metal into the other cylinders.....3 re-bores and a sleave....and new pistons... Just as well to say a rebuild... Since its apart, I'm going to do the works...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Might want to look into the economic viability of having it rebuilt versus replacing it with a junkyard engine. Look at upgrading to a 4.0 while youre at it! I know you cant be *that* in love with the 2.5...

ChemicalToilet

Might want to look into the economic viability of having it rebuilt versus replacing it with a junkyard engine. Look at upgrading to a 4.0 while youre at it! I know you cant be *that* in love with the 2.5...

More to a 4.0 swap than you think, don't think the 4 cyl auto would hold up and even if you did replace the trans the transfer case is a 21 spline unit, not the 23 spline that comes with 6 cylinder engines, so you are talking the entire drivetrain. So you might as well throw a 5.2 or a 5.9 between the fenders.

It's personal preference but I'd probably end up going either rebuilt or junkyard 4 cyl.

Jeeplander

Just going to do a engine rebuild..... Would love to have a 4.0L, cheaper to buy a used 4.0L then drop it in the 2.5L, I considered that option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater