JW Speaker Model 8700 J LED headlight for JK Wrangler

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
They're pretty darn conspicuous...

279J%20.7-1.1_zpsnhvl9fhe.jpg

279J.7-1.2_zpsxwjxjvye.jpg

MTSN

Explorer
EDIT: I just heard from JWS ---- the resistor is free-floating and I need to secure it to the Jeep, not the lamp or wires.

I'm curious about the resistor situation. I thought they were advertised as true plug and play, and I would think that would mean any resistors were built into the actual assemblies themselves. I loathe that headlights which cost over $700 require special anti flicker harnesses (which the new headlights address apparently) and tail lights that cost $380 sound like they'll need external resistors. I wouldn't mind the extra hassle of wiring in resistors on stuff that's half the cost, but at this level they really should be OEM quality or better and direct plug and play.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There are a set of LED tail lights that look stock, need no extra things and are available from quadratec for 299.00 a pair.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm curious about the resistor situation. I thought they were advertised as true plug and play, and I would think that would mean any resistors were built into the actual assemblies themselves. I loathe that headlights which cost over $700 require special anti flicker harnesses (which the new headlights address apparently) and tail lights that cost $380 sound like they'll need external resistors. I wouldn't mind the extra hassle of wiring in resistors on stuff that's half the cost, but at this level they really should be OEM quality or better and direct plug and play.
The resistor is already wired in.
I think it's external for cooling purposes.
Jason and I are exchanging messages until his lead engineer is back from vacation.

They're quite bright. I was very impressed backing up with them ---- two reverse LEDs on each side.
It can't be too bright and still be compliant with US/Canadian regulations. There's a threshold on LUX so that an oncoming driver can still see the red and not mistake the vehicle for one going forward.

lysol

Explorer
The resistor is already wired in.
I think it's external for cooling purposes.
Jason and I are exchanging messages until his lead engineer is back from vacation.

They're quite bright. I was very impressed backing up with them ---- two reverse LEDs on each side.
It can't be too bright and still be compliant with US/Canadian regulations. There's a threshold on LUX so that an oncoming driver can still see the red and not mistake the vehicle for one going forward.

Is there a way to "tap" into the post-resistor high beam wire? i.e. to actuate an external relay to turn on an aux set of driving lights (triggered by the high beam). I'm still looking for a solution to prevent relay chatter from the PWM on the high beam circuit.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Is there a way to "tap" into the post-resistor high beam wire? i.e. to actuate an external relay to turn on an aux set of driving lights (triggered by the high beam). I'm still looking for a solution to prevent relay chatter from the PWM on the high beam circuit.
That's another on my to-do list I have with the engineer at JWS. Or an interrupt dongle that you plug between the two H13 connectors that has a cap & resistor in it already and two feet of wire off it to connect to your relay.
I think they could sell a cabillion of them for $25 or so.

lysol

Explorer
Hella just needs to come out with a PWM friendly relay... have a cap and resistor already builtin...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hella just needs to come out with a PWM friendly relay... have a cap and resistor already builtin...
I think there's a Bosch that is happy with a nominal 4v that will work too. The duty cycle of the pwm bottoms-out at 4.6v. I just don't want to splice in that area...
A plug-n-play is better, classier, more professional...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Any updates or new pics? :)
I took some notes and sent the tail lights back to Wisconsin for tweaking. Not sure how long 'til they get them back to me but they (and I) want them PERFECT for release.
As far as I'm concerned, the headlights are ready. I think they're just making enough first.

I asked Jason for a list of links too. Like install, product, FAQ, etc.
And I gotta remind him about a driving light dongle that's relay-friendly....

MTSN

Explorer
Thanks for the update. I think I'll pull the trigger on these when they're released, so it's great to see them field tested and perfected. I had considered selling my Evo2 headlights that are only a few months old because I kept having some annoying issues with the driver's side, however I swapped out the Headlight Revolution harnesses for Trucklite ones and all my issues went away so I'm happy again. The LED tails will help with my rush hour commute and look cool at the same time.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Got the tail lights back today and will install tomorrow.

I replied to your PM, Joe --- but hopefully JWS will make a product that is a plug/play tap off the highbeam circuit for tripping driving lights. It would compliment their TS3000R lights....

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Okay. Re-installed the tail lights. They still need more tweaking though.
....almost ready....

They come with these brackets
jws.tails%20005_zpseqshazwh.jpg

That you attach to the resistor
jws.tails%20003_zpscyued9qm.jpg

jws.tails%20002_zpsgfm0fgpb.jpg

And you clip the bracket to the longitudinal piece of sheet metal inside the tub
jws.tails%20004_zpsyxn4ehiw.jpg

button it up and declare victory
jws.tails%20006_zpss5hxjvm2.jpg

Less than 10 minutes. Need a #2Phillips, a #1Phillips, & a little wrench or a pair of pliers to hold the nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl