K&N air filters

SMD

Adventurer
Except they don't filter as well as a quality paper filter. Dirt is bad for engines.

That's a valid reason for not using the K&N. IMHO, and my anecdotal experience, the MAF-will-die reason is not.

So Tom peaked my curiosity regarding the filtering. I wondered just how much difference in filtering occurred between brands, as well as what kind of particles would not be filtered. One question in my mind being that just because a certain size particle can pass through the filter, doesn't mean that such particles will be encountered in sufficient volumes to be noteworthy. My second question, still somewhat unanswered, is whether those particles cause any engine damage. I have first-hand experience of damage to turbine engines from fine sand, but turbines are operating at significantly different pressures and temperatures than auto engines! Plus those conditions were the fine talcum-like sand found in overseas deserts.
(Dweb may have covered this, but I didn't feel like digging through pages and pages of the discussion since from memory it seems that most of the discussion usually centers on the oil and MAF problems. I think the topic has been covered a few times on ExPo as well.)

Anyway, so this thread is one of the more concise summaries found via Google and has some good data. The K&N web page lists the ISO 5011 standards.
Compare those particle sizes to some of the common particle sizes. Finally, check out the sizes of sand and silt. So Tom's right, the Wix is a good filter to use. Anyone know who makes the OEM filter? In the absence of more info I would use the Wix over the OEM and may actually consider switching now. I'm hesitant only because I still wonder if the difference in non-filtered material passing into the engine causes any significant engine wear over the lifetime of a petrol engine.

And for those of you irritated that this topic is being discussed one more time... tough. I understand your frustration though. I think I rolled my eyes and grinned when I first saw the thread title was listed. "Here we go again" came to mind. These air filter threads are almost as prolific as the "how much tire/lift" threads.

EDIT: One note, yes the diesel link was probably a test of diesel filters. Filters for petrol engines may or may not have similar results. I'm obviously betting they do.

Last edited:

cosmic88

Observationalist
Blinded me with Science!

Here is a thoroughly informative link on automotive air (and oil) filtration with examples of testing on top / popular brands including K&N and OEM style filters. Some of you may have seen this before in the previous "Which Air Filter is BEST" threads... personally I enjoy the constant regurgitation of ALL the "Which [insert topic] is Best" posts because I am amused by opinion based arguments with sprinkles of science. :lurk:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Save this read for a moment in your day when you are truly bored. :coffee:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Aside from all the evidence supporting that K&N filers don't filter as well, their warranty strikes me as telling.
http://www.knfilters.com/warranty.htm
(Emphasis mine)
WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY OUR WARRANTY
Any K&N product used for 1: any type of racing or competition; 2: any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3: any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ ATV use; or 4: any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. All K&N Air Filters not covered by our million mile warranty are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase with no mileage limitation. This includes K&N Air Filters sold for ATV's and off-highway or dual-purpose motorcycles.

So they won't even fully warranty air filters for vehicles they list applications for, if you use the vehicle as intended.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Go ask over on Dweb, one of the tech's where will be able to give you a deffinate answer. For what it's worth my tech told me to bin the K&N and only use LR OEM filters, the K&N's let too much fine dust in & can cause other issues.

Dweb,Thats pretty funny.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
who in the hell drives a million miles in one year.

i never noticed that part in the warranty before.

I had one of their drop in filters in my 1985 toyota about 9 years ago. I threw it away after a year because of all the crap inside my intake. It had been clean when i was using toyota air filters. I would never use one again. ever since then i have been using WIX or OEM.

nely

Adventurer
Hahaha. Oil the wix filter and quadruple the filtration!!!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77