Karavan Utility Trailer VS Northern Tool 5x8?

ryanmcrist

Hey All -
Have you seen the Karavan utility trailers sold at Home Depot? These look exceptionally well made and the sides and gate are removable, making for a much better platform to build on.

https://www.karavantrailers.com/product/5x10ft-steel-utility-trailer#specifications

I was originally looking at the Northern Tool trailer kit, but after all the things i would need to do to shore this up, the Karavan seems like the best option for $1,700!

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 5x10-BT-AL-scaled.jpeg
    5x10-BT-AL-scaled.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 17

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What is the intended purpose for the trailer? I had mine custom built, but I suspect the difference in price can be identified in the quality and materials used. What axels do they have, wheels, what kind of bearings, etc.?

If you're thinking of building an "off road" camper, I'd check some local fabrication shops and see what it would cost for a custom build that can check all the boxes.

ryanmcrist

What is the intended purpose for the trailer? I had mine custom built, but I suspect the difference in price can be identified in the quality and materials used. What axels do they have, wheels, what kind of bearings, etc.?

If you're thinking of building an "off road" camper, I'd check some local fabrication shops and see what it would cost for a custom build that can check all the boxes.
Thanks! I plan to do a square-drop trailer. I've checked with local places in the Dallas area. Very few are interesting in building a trailer frame and those that are, are wanting to charge nearly $5k. Im not exactly sure about the axles etc, but seeing that it's a 5x10 that not a crappy carry-on trailer (where the sides are part of the structure) is somewhat enticing.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Might check with E Trailer and check out the parts.

I would consider building a trailer using VHB tape with bolted connections. Many have been built that way and it's said they are just as strong as any weld.

I think what those shops are saying is that they are busy. If you bolted one together you could always have a welder throw on a bead at any critical joint.

I think you'll want the sides off to build a camper.

Brazos609

Observer
Hey All -
Have you seen the Karavan utility trailers sold at Home Depot? These look exceptionally well made and the sides and gate are removable, making for a much better platform to build on.
https://www.karavantrailers.com/product/5x10ft-steel-utility-trailer#specifications
I was originally looking at the Northern Tool trailer kit, but after all the things i would need to do to shore this up, the Karavan seems like the best option for $1,700! What are your thoughts?
I bought the 6'x10' version five or six years ago when Sam's Club was selling then for $1200-1300. You'll notice Karavan lists both of them with a GVWR of 2990lbs. The general concensus was that they did that to make registration easier and that they actually have 3500lb axles. I hav ebeen very happy with mine. It has towed very well behind my JKU with loads up to 2000lbs for me.

whododat

I have been very happy with mine. I did upgrade to 13 inch tires but had to have my friend raise the fenders. I just trailered my 05 Road King 4 hours to middle TN and she handled like a dream. I have the same idea as you and can definitely see this platform working out. Man, did they go up in price. I think I got mine on sale for 1200.00.

ryanmcrist

I bought the 6'x10' version five or six years ago when Sam's Club was selling then for $1200-1300. You'll notice Karavan lists both of them with a GVWR of 2990lbs. The general concensus was that they did that to make registration easier and that they actually have 3500lb axles. I hav ebeen very happy with mine. It has towed very well behind my JKU with loads up to 2000lbs for me.
Thanks for the info! Any pics you can share? Did you do any mods on it, besides removed the side rails?

tlin

Adventurer
I owned a 5x10 Karavan for ~2 years (until we sold our cabin last October). I absolutely loved it...
  1. Sealed the wood decking.
  2. Installed six of these Keeper Tracks (three per side - front/middle/rear) - worked out great for tie-downs.
  3. Installed rubber "bumpers" along the leading edge of the dropdown ramp (made sure the powder coat didn't get wrecked).
  4. Removed all the round tube plastic cap ends - shipping from Korea to the US resulted in some minor surface rust on the interior tubes which I took down and sprayed w/ Rustoleum as best I could.
  5. Used it...terrific for my own various project and yard needs as well as helping neighbors with their green waste.
The leaf springs were definitely bouncy under a light load - never got around to installing shocks to help with the rebound before I sold it. Rutted-out Forest Service road to a local lake was a big mistake with the lightweight boat I threw in there but that was a "one off" experience.

Loved the utility of it - you already noted the swing-down side and front rails - all came in super handy on occasion and were very well designed.

My use was purely as a utility trailer - not sure about converting it as you mentioned above.

My $.02 - good luck!

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach