Keiko the Tacoma - An Evolution of Needs

Toiyabe

Adventurer
More fun.

Installed dust lights and dust light harness in bumper.

Left is red, right is amber.

Waiting to wire everything the right way with OTRATTW switches and a skygear fusebox. Fusebox should be here in the next few days, and braided sheath is on the way.

Seafood, yum.

At 222k miles, I figured it was time to redo the front suspension. I replaced UCAs, lower balljoints and bushings, inner and outer tierods.

Also installed a rear E-locker skid made by Sky's Offroad Design. It needed some trimming to fit, but it does not contact the gas tank at full compression.

Aligning it has been enough of a chore I'm going back to doing my own.

Lecoq

Explorer
Just read from the start. Really nice places you've been. I like the evolution of the Tacoma as well as the fact that you've traveled with an assortment of vehicles and made it work for you. I'm looking forward to see where this will go.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Very Nice, how do you like the tundra brake upgrade? Is it truly a noticeable difference?

It is a very noticeable upgrade. The pedal is easier to modulate, and more consistent. Also, the added swept area is apparent in a firmer pedal under hard braking. Pad wear is also lower.
I used exactly the same brand and model of pads and rotors, as well as brake lines and fluid, between the two, so I think I've minimized variables.
As an example: I towed a 3500lb U-Haul trailer with mediocre surge brakes about 500 miles yesterday. These brakes really made braking a non-event, even with the horrific drivers around here.
As a note: I do not have ABS.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Lots of wiring.

First, time for coffee.

Wiring in the fusebox from skygear–which is awesome–and making harnesses for the switches. For now, I have the switches installed in the CD pocket, waiting for my plate from Paranoid Fabrication to show up. I used a combination of braided loom and convoluted loom, and ran everything through the passenger side. Skygear was fantastic to deal with, and did an amazing job.

Braided loom.

The dash comes apart. I replaced all the burnt out bulbs with new ones,and removed the orange rubber covers, for a white light. That created an issue later...

Making the harness for the switches.

Fishing it through the grommets.

Switches wired up.

New fusebox in place, mating up harnesses.

Dust lights work.

Adding hardware storage.

So, with the colored rubber condoms off, the difference in light output between old and new bulbs was obvious, and a little splotchy.

So I replaced the 194 bulbs with LEDs.

And now the color is much better, and it is an even white.

Replacing the failed Dorman center support bearing (15k miles) with a Toyota part. Original lasted 205k.

Installed a shock boot over the sliding part of the driveshaft, to minimize damage from flying stones.

A set of budget HIDs from Avec. Quite nice, actually.

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Sp, I've been tinkering in the shop lately.

Paranoid Fab's switch plate. Roughed it up with sand paper, and hit it with satin black. Looks factory.

Then I built a new dining room table for us. Fire blued screws, Birch plywood top, waxed steel frame.

Then I got my bender assembled and bolted to the floor.

Practicing with the plasma cutter.

Reorganized and tidied up the shop. Preparing for the new project...

Toiyabe

Adventurer
The new project.

Where it was hiding. Note the ricer diesel.

As it sat.

The only rust is here:

And the rear bumper, of course.

Heading home.

Engine is kaput. Looks like it broke a piston or rod. I'll know by tonight.

Someone tried to steal the gastank...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven