At the beach on South Padre Island.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pennybeach.jpg
    Pennybeach.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 3,172

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dave! The 105 is no longer "mine", but yeah it was a nice vehicle. Unfortunately the 105 never came with the 1HD-FTE which it should have... The only diesel option was the 1HZ. It was the 3rd 105 that I had and the best. I am not too distressed about leaving the 105 as we fly on Sunday to Namibia to (hopefully...) pick up the troopy and start travelling - can't frigging wait. Will keep the forum posted occasionally, as well as 'MUD where the full build and story is:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/248196-78-series-tourer.html
Awesome... I'll be watching that for sure.

Like I said, the Troupy's MY favorite too mate ;)

I LOVE those things. That's litteraly the ONE vehicle I would like to be able to buy new a 78/79 series Cruiser. I wish you could get the new V8-TD without the funny new front end. I like the pointy nose and round headlights personaly. We had both 70 Series Ute's and Troupys with both 1HZ and 1HDT's on the ranch I worked for in Australia and I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten to flog them in every respect over miles and miles of bush. What a truck...

{nostalgic rant over...}

Anywho like I said, Nice rig.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Last weekend, working as a marshal in a very popular Land Cruiser racing series... and a small mishap while doing so.

ep28.jpg

ep29.jpg

http://tucanviajero.blogspot.com/
Ok, that is just AWESOMe to see a 200 out there where Cruisers/Toyotas should be: In the dirt...
But I agree you're pretty balsy being out there w/o sliders in that beast. Am I seaing what I think I'm seeing??? Is that bumper part of the rear quarter panels??? If so that is really lame of Toyota to do that to a Cruiser. An what do you do??? Cut the fender??? I know I've seen 200's already with up-rated Armor.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Ok, that is just AWESOMe to see a 200 out there where Cruisers/Toyotas should be: In the dirt...
But I agree you're pretty balsy being out there w/o sliders in that beast. Am I seaing what I think I'm seeing??? Is that bumper part of the rear quarter panels??? If so that is really lame of Toyota to do that to a Cruiser. An what do you do??? Cut the fender??? I know I've seen 200's already with up-rated Armor.

Cheers

Dave

No the rear bumper is it's own body 'panel'. However it's not a simple unbolt the factory bumper and bolt on an aftermarket one like it is with older cruisers. Just like with his front bumper which required the bumper cover to be trimmed around the aftermarket bumper, the same has to be done with the rear.

Here's a picture from Slee Offroad with one of their rear bumpers. You can also see the seam between the quarterpanel and the bumper.

200rbumper.jpg

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Yes, I suppose you guys are right in that there is some damage risk taking the 200 offroad like that, but I cannot simply stay at home while all the necessary mods are completed. Also, I should say I take pride in using my Land Cruisers the way they are meant to be used.

The weekend the pictures were taken, the 200 sustained some easily repairable damage, but it was during the process of rescuing or recovering maybe 15 stuck vehicles from 11pm Saturday to 2am Sunday.

By the way, the guys were stunned to see this large heavy truck move from here to there, in and out of these difficult places where they had stuck, helping them get out, mostly thanks to the aid of the crawl system. Silly, but it felt really nice. Having owned four 80s (100 series were never available here) I'm finally starting to like my 200 series Land Cruiser after some initial resistance.

ep32.jpg

A broken tail light, that fell victim of a small tree that skillfully hid from my eyes while I was backing up, in order to line up my winch cable to get a straight pull.

ep31.jpg

Small rocker panel damage, probably the consequence of hitting a rock somewhere sometime along the night. I can't really tell where or how it happened.

ep33.jpg

ep34.jpg

ep35.jpg

And a really filthy interior, the result of several recovery operations in the dark of the night, which required open windows in order to call and receive instructions. I really didn´t notice how bad this was until the next morning.

http://tucanviajero.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven