Land Cruiser Photos

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Those are the 8" Thule towers. The RTT is the Grand Tour which is the tallest Maggiolina and the crossbars are an inch or so above the top of the RTT shell.

Maintaining the ability to carry surfboards was a priority for me in selecting a RTT and the main reason I went with the Grand Tour. I have had about 70lbs worth of longboards up there and I was able to crank the tent open with the boards on top - great for overnight theft protection since they're 12' in the air. There are plenty of pics in the Autohome catalog of people with kayaks and windsurfers on the RTT crossbars. I believe the limitation has more to do with COG than the strength of the RTT. The top of my Grand Tour crossbars is about 9' off the ground which is pretty high to have an extra 200lbs swaying around.

OneTime

Adventurer
Does anyone know how high above the roof regular Thule or Yakima racks sit? Im trying to figure if I can get my 80 with 33" and 2.5 lift and Yakima or Thules in my 7' garage

Box Rocket

The old school owner of Cruiser Outfitters, Daryl, and his beautiful hand made FJ45 that rolled on Moab Rim. Doh! If he didn't have that front roll bar he might have died. It was largely due to these tall skinny 34 x 9.5 Super Swampers related to lack of sidewall stability...

So I gotta ask what year did the guy roll his cruiser? The reason I ask is we were sitting at the trailhead of 21 road outside of fruita Colorado waiting for some guys from Cruiser outfitters and they never showed. The back story I got was that someone rolled in moab so they couldn't make it over. I am thinking this was 1999 or so.

1999 sounds right. They had my old FJ40 in there shop at the time doing a frame-off.

hieronymus

Adventurer
My 80 has undergone some minor changes.....ARB winch bumper with 12.000lbs winch on ther front, sparewheel carrier on a steel African Outback bumper at the back, a Long Ranger fueltank underneath, a new windshield, fuelpump modification, an intercooler, turbo pressure adjusted and now it looks like this:
P1010842.jpg

and this:
P1010843.jpg

But today I went for a spin in the woods and this is what happened:
P1010830.jpg

I got myself stuck (a little bit on purpose, to try the winch!):

hieronymus

Adventurer
Very sharp Cruiser Guy!
Although I don't live there this trip was on the Belgian border, the southeast of Holland.......

hieronymus

Adventurer
And get it ripped off by some branches....no thanx!
Besides, 'real men' have their air intake turned around anyway...look at these DAKAR-cars:
rv4wd_rally_1005jpg.jpg

ver20074200701041587662011.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I was told by ARB guys that you can actually create a low pressure zone behind the snorkel if it is turned backwards, thus not allowing for full breathability for your engine. I assume this is only a problem at highway speeds. If you only turn it back off-road I don't see a problem. The Dakar trucks you show pics of obviously make me wonder who is to be believed!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
In high dust conditions it is best to have it turned facing backwards. If you watch "Long Way Down" you'll see the problems the support trucks with these snorkels had in North Africa with lots of dust.

Good point about getting snagged on branches too.

The rest of the time facing forward is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven