Land Cruiser Questions

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Preface all of that with: "In my extremely biased and narrow minded view"

Please John, we all know how much you love your Hundy, but give it a rest. I am supposing that NONE of the hundys have any leaks or have ever overheated? cracking exhaust manifolds? CV joint failure? Oh, not to mention that you have to pull the entire intake to get to the starter and change the timing BELT every 90k.....

From the factory, in stock form, the 80 series braking distances were almost identical to the 100 series. The condition of your brake system is obviously important.

The 100 is a great rig, I would love to have one, but the sequoia fit the family better. That being said, a 200 series is even better, but the OP is on a budget.

You're right about three things in this post. The last sentence about the 100, the Sequoia and 200.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Then consider better A/C, brakes, no overheating issues...the 100 is the real winner here.

the 80's a dead dog

Read post #17 in thread "Seen in Panama-what model is this".

As to the dead dog reference... My three live pooches LOVE the 80! Never driven a modded hundy, would love to... But maybe not untill I have enough spare cash to have BOTH!:sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Starting to sound like a 80 vs 100 civil war... Folks drive one type of LC wether a 40, 55, 60, 80, 100 or whatever for one reason... They are the best out there, their unique and its the most common vehicle you'll see in National Geographic, global documentaries and what terror militias use to cause friggin havoc. I had Jeeps, other LC's, Suzuki Samurai's, Toyota pick/ups, Isuzu Trooper.... hands down Toyota makes a much better product and lives up to the reputation. Yes, your going to get issues with each model, but when it comes down too it, what can you afford, study and research the nuances of each model, if you feel like you don't have the skills to work on the issues either look at something else or try and step up to the challenge.... a lot of us on here and on other offroad forums have done this and you come to realize its sometimes not that hard.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I currently have a 97 FZJ80 wit 225k... and I'm lucky to say I've gotten away with wheelin it and driving the last 30k miles and it hasn't had the HG replaced yet (knockin on wood).. but my next truck after this will probably be 100 series. My son has a FJ62 with 250k and I don't really think you can kill the 3FE.. Good luck!

Nice post Scottydog! Sums it all up very well I think!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So far the dogs have been rollin' in the back seat as my tools fill the cargo area. The Lab stares at my door until I hit the 'magic button' and he can hang his dopey head out the window. They like it tons more than the extended cab Dodge with only pop out windows!

Klierslc

Explorer
So far the dogs have been rollin' in the back seat as my tools fill the cargo area. The Lab stares at my door until I hit the 'magic button' and he can hang his dopey head out the window. They like it tons more than the extended cab Dodge with only pop out windows!

Cue the animal extremists in 3...2...1....

I let my pup hang his head out the window as well, but there have been pretty heated discussions about whether you should do so. Supposedly a rock could be kicked up by the tires or a passing vehicle and hit the dog. If that happens, I will feel bad, but not as bad as I would making him keep his head inside all the time...

CowboyUp

80 is better and the 80 mpg can make a good discussion with the activists "save the earth" :ylsmoke:. :sombrero:
In the end folks, all cruisers are good just because are Toyota Land Cruiser :victory: :wings:

:coffee:

Corbet

Observer
Corbet, I assume you have stock gearing then? And no great drama driving around Colorado?

Sorry for the late response. Yes stock gears for now. Its slow on the passes especially towing a trailer. Think 25 MPH in 1st gear going up the mountain. I will re-gear when money allows to 4.88's. Not for MPG but to speed things up a little going uphill.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My BJ60 didn't care for the passes in Colorado either! Non-turbo and diesel tuned for sea level = barely 20 mph and a smoke screen James Bond would be jealous of!

Bugspray

Adventurer
Get a 93, is the best, full axles, buss trany, heavy and build like a tank, plus on hwy mpg is 12 to 14, hehehehe :smiley_drive:

Why have some recommended after 93 is better?
Is 93 the first year for larger I-6? what kind of tranny? Which years have center diff lock?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yup, 93 is the first year for the 4.5 liter 24 valve engine. The 4.2 is a good motor, but much older technology. The 93 and newer trucks make better power and get better fuel economy.
My 80 is the first auto trans TLC I have owned, so I am not an expert, but it seems a lot of people consider the trans in the 93-94 (part or all of 95?) to be a bit stronger. The dashboards are different in the 95-97 trucks.
Don't worry about the center dif lock, it is a $10 switch at the junkyard, and 10 minutes to install it. Search IH8MUD 80s tech for "Pin7 and CDL mod". Slee also has all the details on their website, and you can buy the switch from them for $75 (new). Mine came out of a RAV4 from the same era.

Bugspray

Adventurer
Which tranny would be better to adapt to a Mercedes OM617 diesel engine?
91-92 or 93-97? I would think the former since no electronics...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Klierslc

Explorer
91-92 or 93-97? I would think the former since no electronics...please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 91-92s are better for most swaps....

The only downside is the Semi-floating rear axle(which you can swap out with a later full float)

Corbet

Observer
Why have some recommended after 93 is better?
Is 93 the first year for larger I-6? what kind of tranny? Which years have center diff lock?

If your going to leave the drive train alone I'd take a 96-97 to get OBDII and airbags. Option of TRD Super Charger if you want an increase in power.

If your going to swap power plants then the hydro controlled trans probably better bet. Don't know if either is an option for the Merc at this time.

Keep in mind the engine change happened in 93 and the transmission changes in 93/95. All model year details can be found here: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater