Land Rover Discovery - Purchasing Guide

David Harris

Expedition Leader
HA, thats exactly what I did - walked away. However I do, and have owned many Harley Davidsons over the years, so oil leaks only scare me to a point :bike_rider: but having 2 vehicles in my garage that live by "If its not leaking oil its probably empty" - may be too much for me.

It's not really that big a deal for most leaks. Just use Right Stuff.

d67u57

Adventurer
good read on here and the links.

basically if you want (relatively) peace of mind go with a d1,and you can tell them apart by

the rear lights being close to the bumper...that right?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
D1s do have lower rear lights, also the biggest tell tale is the door handles, if they're flush it's a d1, if they stick out it's a dII

d67u57

Adventurer
well after the reading,im less scared of the reliability issues(d1's) but man o man i see people ask 4-5k on 15+ year old vehicles,rusted too...:)

brushogger

Explorer
Check on Discoweb.org. That's the place to get one. Also great source for used parts. It's the best disco knowledge base around.

brushogger

Explorer
cool. i see none for sale..hmm...

Check the vehicles for sale section. There are quite a few. One is a rust free '95 Connistion green 5 speed with no sunroof and manual seats. No sunroof is a good thing. Arb bumper with winch, Nato steelies and BFG's. You may have to register with the site to have accesss to this section. It's free though.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
That's not completely true, no sunroof isn't a good thing, it's a GREAT thing! One of the most desirable features of a D1/D2 is a sunroofless roof!

d67u57

Adventurer
Check the vehicles for sale section. There are quite a few. One is a rust free '95 Connistion green 5 speed with no sunroof and manual seats. No sunroof is a good thing. Arb bumper with winch, Nato steelies and BFG's. You may have to register with the site to have accesss to this section. It's free though.

right,i didnt reg.

That's not completely true, no sunroof isn't a good thing, it's a GREAT thing! One of the most desirable features of a D1/D2 is a sunroofless roof!

haha. wise words.

justfred

Adventurer
I like my sunroofs. In the summer, I vent both of them when parked, and the vehicle is a LOT cooler when I get back in. Never had a problem with water leakage. Plus I just prefer the "open" feeling.

Daryl

Adventurer
I like my sunroofs. In the summer, I vent both of them when parked, and the vehicle is a LOT cooler when I get back in. Never had a problem with water leakage. Plus I just prefer the "open" feeling.

I agree. I've dealt with sunroof leaks, but if you fix the inevitable leaks properly they don't come back. The sad stories you hear of people with constantly leaking sunroofs is because they were unwilling to 1.) drop the headliner completely. 2.) Completely remove the sunroof. 3.) Clean EVERYTHING, seal it properly, 4.) Clean the drain tubes, attach them properly and replace them if they are dried out/cracking/wont' stay attached 5.) replace any broken pieces. This means not trying to JB Weld the drainbox nipple back on.

So yeah, it's a pain, but do it right and do it once. It's time consuming, but not terrible expensive, even if you need to replace a sunroof entirely. The expensive part is the motor....the glass and sliders are fairly cheap at the salvage yards I've been to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven