Land Rover LR3 questions

ISUHawkeye

Observer
I am in the market for a new vehicle, and I am considering a used LR3. I have seen a lot of conflicting reviews about their reliability so I would like to get your feedback on these trucks.

I am also looking for recommendations from you about how to prepare the LR3 for camping and traveling.

Pictures and links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

atancreti

Observer
John,
Are you in Iowa?????? Looking at your name ISU and Hawkeye. If your looking at the one at willis in dm, I looked at an 06 and 05 lr3 and they both had BIG problems. Thats all hush hush from my friend who works on the rovers that come in after they are traded into willis. HMMM.

Canol 109

Observer
Lr3

Odd...Conflicting reports then.

I spoke recently to a Land rover Mechanic and he stated that the V8 LR3's were pretty good other than having to replace tires and brakes more than usual due to the weight of the truck.
We have a couple in our club that regularly come out on runs and have never seen or heard of problems...and for such a big beast...surprisingly capable off-road.

Just my two cents...

Some pics in our clubs gallery...check out 2009 and look for John Curtis's 2009 Winter trip to Utah...lots of good pics of his rig.

http://www.roverlanders.bc.ca/

ISUHawkeye

Observer
thanks,

I am from Iowa, and I am looking at some from Willis. I am looking at an 08 so hopefully its good. Any other advice?

Are there many other Iowans on this board?

LtFuzz

Explorer
I don't keep a very close eye on the LR3 community but it sure doesn't seem like there are too many major recurring issues.

The only thing I hear is they eat brakepads pretty quickly

ntan

Adventurer
Brakepads, make sure the alignment is checked. We have an '05 (since new) on the East Coast and it's been pretty reliable.

wcj

2007 LR3 with 56000 trouble free miles. 52000 on goodyear wrangler silent armor with safe tread left. Very nice on highway, competent and comfortable off road. Took it on the White Rim last spring, fold down the back seats and sleep inside, comfortable, dry and secure when it was cold, wet and windy outside. It doesn't have the room of my cab over Alaskan which we took on the White Rim the year before, but it sure was a lot faster and easier on the trail.

brushogger

Explorer
Very capable on the trails traction wise. Your pretty much stuck with stock size tires if you keep the air suspension. If you lose the air springs with oversize tires, the the tires bottom out in the wheel wells and you're at a standstill. I've seen a couple lose the under mounted spare tire from dragging it on the trail. Doesn't seem to be armored underneath very well. At Scarr last year I followed some. They tended to drop parts from the underside, but it was nothing that stopped them. This was on trails that bone stock discos weren't dragging on at all.

D110

Observer
I had one on lease and loved it - that said, make sure you check the drain holes on the roof on a regular basis... I noticed the sound of sloshing water in ours and discovered that cavities in the body had been filling with rain water which was finding it's way all over and leaking out onto the floor in different places.... every time you went around the corner it sounded like the surf was coming in. It apparently was finding it's way in around the sunroof due to the drain channels getting plugged. Kinda made me glad in the end that it was a lease as I'm not sure what the long term effect might have been. That said, my wife still keeps asking if we can get another one.

lindy

Observer
you might want to try "Bullsnake" who is another central Iowa member as he has a nicely equipted LR3.
Cheers,
Eric

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I did a ton of research before buying my 08 LR3 in June. It seems the 05's have the most problems, as the oil pump is inside the engine block (can anybody confirm?). Other than that, the 07s - 09's seem to be pretty reliable so far. I love mine!

atancreti

Observer
thanks,

I am from Iowa, and I am looking at some from Willis. I am looking at an 08 so hopefully its good. Any other advice?

Are there many other Iowans on this board?

That one is sweet. I took it for a drive the other day. I enjoyed it. I would recommend getting it checked out by ryan miller. He lives on the south side. He use to work at land rover des moines (original dealer) He works on these bad boys all the time. He has a lift and all. He works on my stuff. Just because if you have them do a pre purchase inspection, of course they would say its all good when it may not be. But an indy guy is going to tell you.
Just my thoughts.
P.S. Yes there are a couple of people on here from IA.

Mack73

Adventurer
It seems the 05's have the most problems, as the oil pump is inside the engine block (can anybody confirm?).

I believe you are thinking of the Discovery II '03 oil pump issue.

As far as I know, there are no oil pump issues on any year of LR3's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal