Lanterns

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If you put the propane lantern on a standpipe it won't go out right away when you turn the bottle off. My 5' tall standpipe has 15 mins of full blast run time in it. Have yet to time my recently built 3.5' tall standpipe for the trailer.

ddog45

Adventurer
lantern ?

If buy an old wenzel kerosene lantern is there any way I can make it run on white gas? If anyone can help I would be very thankful.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

ddog45

Adventurer
The wenzel I found looks like the petromax lantern that Mike S posted earlier. I figured for 50 bucks I cant go to wrong.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Try to do an online search for a..... Wenzel lantern......!

This! Is very Frustrating!

Do you have a pic and info?

lcsodiver

Adventurer
Yes they work with the citronella oil, but it will "smoke" the glass....

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use that style of lamp with white gas.... think "fire bomb" :Wow1: white gas is very similar to gasoline.

lamp oil is very close to kerosine and diesel fuel, it takes a bit to get them going, gas all it takes is a spark to light the whole mess an fire.

stay safe, and no blowing stuff up...... at least not by accident :wings:

I'm thinking that you are thinking.....about this kind of Lantern.

http://www.lanternsandlamps.com/camping-lanterns/kerosene-lanterns

I've often wondered about getting one and fueling it with Citronella Oil to have light and help keep the bugs away at the same time.

Wal~Mart sells the Citronella Oil.

ddog45

Adventurer
3me3o63laZZZZZZZZZ95v0ea98cdabcba1141.jpg

3n33pd3l9ZZZZZZZZZ95v5fcd4477189e1104.jpg

3n83k73leZZZZZZZZZ95vca4f48d8388f14e7.jpg
Heres the pictures sorry didnt post them earlier. Ive been checking out the petromax lanterns and then found this on craigslist. I have tried to find information on this lantern and havent been very succesful. I was wonderning if this could be made to use white gas.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Thanks to overland journal and Expedition Exchange, I finally saw the "light" (pardon the pun) and got the Black Diamond Apollo lantern right before I left for Iraq, and I have to say that it is awesome. Way better than I expected. I fully intend to get a few more for the camp kit. 2 of these could easily light a dinner table for 6, and it dims. Battery life is exceptional, and runs on rechargable AA's. AA is the only batter I carry, as part of my standardization across all my equipment (except for the surefire).

For atmosphere, I fully intend to pack 2 hurricane lamps with citonella oil in my camping kit however. There is nothing that comes close to hurricane lamps for that nostalgic campsite feel.

I will say, I still have a coleman dual fuel, and as long as it travels in it's plastic case, has never broke off road. My unleaded mogas days are over though, so it's collecting dust.

ddog45

Adventurer
lantern

I have found another good deal on a petromax lantern. I know that no one thinks old school lanterns are cool anymore but I love them. My question is does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these lanterns. I need another lantern like I need another hole in my head.

http://www.petromax.com/lanterns.htm

Let me hear it.
thanks guys and gals

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I have found another good deal on a petromax lantern. I know that no one thinks old school lanterns are cool anymore but I love them. My question is does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these lanterns. I need another lantern like I need another hole in my head.

http://www.petromax.com/lanterns.htm

Let me hear it.
thanks guys and gals

I would say....you now own the Cadillac of outback Lanterns!

Good for you!

It's a Keeper!.......:victory::elkgrin::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I bought one of these Coleman lanterns over the weekend.
37562.gif

Has 4 independent light pods that can be removed from the main lantern and used independently. It runs on 8 (yup.. Eight) D batteries which also do the work to charge/recharge a battery in each of the 4 light pods. I don't know what kind of batter each pod uses yet.

For rechargeable batteries, I normally use Sanyo eneloop NiMH batteries which unlike normal NiMH batteries will hold a charge for up to 3 years when you store them. They loose ~10-20% of their charge if left sitting for a year. Regular NiMH batteries will only hold a charge for a few weeks or so.

I bought both at a local Costco. The lamp was ~$50.

In preliminary testing I will say the lamp is very bright! Much more so than the 2 LED lanterns I already own.

I'll be keeping this lantern in the old canvas case that I used to use with my old propane lantern (w/ the stainless steel screen globe). I also have the hard case (from Coleman IIRC) that prevents the old glass globe from breaking. I highly recommend it for traditional glass globe lights if you don't already use it.:ylsmoke:

HTH.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got several different types including Coleman white gas and propane, several LED including the Black Diamond as well as an older one or two that use a flashlight type bulb in a diffuser. For campouts I'm still partial to my two mantle Coleman for the amount of light it gives off and the nostalgia. I keep the small Coleman propane head in the bus and attach it to either a one pound bottle or the top of the manifold thing that hooks on the 11# tank. My old Coleman Peak 1 single burner backpacker lantern sometimes rides along as well. The other lanterns get used in the tents or vehicles with my favorite being the Black Diamond. A candle lantern does a decent job of taking the chill off a cool evening in the VW or a tent. I also keep LED headlamps in each vehicle and I carry a Black Diamond headlamp and one of those minimalist Petzl headlamps in my pack. Each truck has a Surefire in it and each motorcycle has a LED converted MiniMag in the tank bag. Yep, I carry a lot of light.

I've also been known to carry tikki torches with citronella oil in them to bus campouts- nice party atmosphere and helps with the skeeters.

Almost forgot, I've got a couple of Dietz for when the power goes out too. You can use the clean burning citronella in them but as noted it'll still fig the glass after some use.

Palehorse1

Observer
Not trying to take this off topic but for those that bemoaned the waste associated with certain types of lights who don't need high intensity illumination all the time may want to look into UVPaqlite lights. We have a couple of the medium sized bags and they work very well for us when we just need light to keep from bumping into things around camp. I actually got turned on to them by my favorite sleeping bag manufacturer, Wiggy's Outdoor Gear, as they offer them on their website for less than the manufacturer does on theirs.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
i carry both a propane and a flourescent lantern. i usually place the flourescent lantern on the roof of the jeep to attract all the flying insects away from me.
The flying insects doesnt bother the propane lantern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob