Lanterns

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I'm currently searching for a used Coleman white gas lantern in my area. Even though I'm only 22, it's what I remember from camping as a kid.

herm

Adventurer
I really like having one fuel. I use no-lead in a lantern and a stove. just pour some out of my septers and we are ready to go. no extra containers or battery wast. also, it is cheap and easy to get.

perkj

Explorer
IMO nothing beats a Coleman 237 Lantern. They are a 500-550 candle power single mantle lantern that can run on just about any fuel....kerosene, white/coleman gas, unleaded, diesel, etc. Its primarily labeled as a kerosense lantern, but because its the largest generator coleman ever put on one of their lanterns, it'll burn just about any liquid fuel you can throw at it. I have 3 of them and mainly run kerosene in them. They were made from the '40s-'60s and they are built to last. You can find them from time to time on ebay, but expect to shell out well over $100 for one in fair-to-good condition.

The best way to describe the light output from one of these babies is that it will light up your campsite plus the two adjacent campsites. :D

Coleman still makes a single mantle Kerosene lantern rated at 500 cp...its the Coleman 639C and sells for $80-$90 new. These can only run Kerosene and white gas (or a mix of the two) but nothing beyond that due to its smaller generator when compared to the 237. When compared to a 237, you can notice that its got a bit less light output....though its still a strong, bright light.

If you're a white/coleman gas only type person, then the Coleman 236 is the 237s sister lantern that only is capable of burning white/coleman gas....its rated at 500 CP, but again doesn't quite match the light output of the 237 in a side by side comparison. Again made from the 40s-60s, Coleman no longer makes a single mantle 500 CP white gas only lantern

here is a nice video showing 9 of them burning at once....note because they are kerosene and give off no carbon monoxide, you can burn them indoors too (if you don't mind the smell ;) ):

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We just picked up a couple smaller LED lanterns. They run off batteries or can be solar charged or chraged with a USB cable. Since I have a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter in the truck, we are always good to go. We also have one other that charges with a USB cable or else can be hand cranked for power. No messy oil or need to carry propane bottles here!

Colin Hughes

Explorer
When I opened my twenty plus year old Lantern box and the glass was broken for the third time, we decided to look for a new lantern knowing we would likely be facing a fire ban this year. Although I have always had a candle lantern, great little item, we bought a Coleman led rechargeable, both 110 or 12v and with three settings, it works really well. Even taking it into the tent with no fear of a fire. We are just back from a week in Killarney and it worked very well.

Fire bans don't generally mean you can't use a lantern. The same way you can still use a gas stove or grill, and even a gas fire pit. I like the Black Diamond LED lanterns I've got a few orbits for the kids and a few apollos too. I don't need the Titan but I'm sure it's good to. I like not having to worry about anything with the lanterns other than batteries with the kids being so young 3.5 & 2.5. I love the sound of a liquid fuel lantern though.

wyojoe

Adventurer
I have a couple of inexpensive propane lanterns, though I'm not sure of the brand. They may be the inexpensive Coleman lanterns. Anyway, the newer one came with its own case for transporting it, which has worked well to protect the globe. I tend not to use it much when camping, unless I go to the trouble of setting up my distribution tree on my propane cylinder.

Most of the time I just use a Coleman rechargeable LED lantern. I have two of them and they work quite well. They don't have the light output of the propane lantern, but they are easy to use, with essentially no danger of fire. With a summer like we're having this year, that's a good thing. Plus, I can use them inside my trailer or tent without any problems.

Adventurer
HI All,
Fascinating thread. Very little agreement. I guess that's healthy and we will continue to see lantern development in the future.

I have transitioned completely to propane both for lighting and cooking. See below for the exception. No more white gas. For general camp lighting I use a Coleman propane dual mantle. I bought the plastic case and have not had any broken glass. Actually, I never broke glass even before I bought the new lantern and the case. I always transported my old Coleman in the original cardboard box. That's pretty amazing when you consider the box and lantern were about 50 years old and still ticking.

Mantles are a pain. I can't deny that. I figure every time I pack the lantern in the car to get somewhere, I WILL have to replace mantles when I make camp. It's a given. Fortunately they are available everywhere and are cheap. Walmart has good prices where I buy them by the dozen. So the real issue is having to go to the trouble of actually replacing them. Not hard but still a pain. The tradeoff is nothing lights up a campsite like a mantle lantern. So, I continue to use them. I do miss the white gas slow turn off "feature". The hiss? Not so much.

For more subtle lighting I use a Black Diamond Apollo LED Lantern. It's very good in the tent or when I want more atmospheric lighting around the camp. I don't like having to deal with two lanterns but each has their strengths and weaknesses. The Apollo takes up very little room, is very battery efficient and I can read by it.

While this is off subject, I truly like the Coleman dual burner propane stove. I think it is a big improvement over the while gas stoves. I see no tradeoffs.

Sparky

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
Hmmm my coleman dual fuel has been all over the place with me. No broken globes (and I don't have the carry case) and rarely do I ever have to replace the mantle. As to those who find themselves pumping them all the time, you are probably due for a little maintenance. Working properly the lantern should burn the whole tank without need of further pumping (sometimes I have to pump it up after an hour or two but then it goes the rest of the way) as the heat from the lantern adds pressure as you go. A new generator installed does wonders.

GPER

Observer
I have a wire screen globe for my lantern , I have had it for years but have never used it. I just haven't broke a glass one yet.

Adventurer
Hmmm my coleman dual fuel has been all over the place with me. No broken globes (and I don't have the carry case) and rarely do I ever have to replace the mantle. As to those who find themselves pumping them all the time, you are probably due for a little maintenance. Working properly the lantern should burn the whole tank without need of further pumping (sometimes I have to pump it up after an hour or two but then it goes the rest of the way) as the heat from the lantern adds pressure as you go. A new generator installed does wonders.

HI Matt,
Boy, I'd like to know your secret for not ruining mantles. The only thing I can think of is you never go off onto tough roads. That's the only way I can think of. If true, that won't work for me because I've never seen a tough trail I didn't want to take. Hard on mantles though because of shock and vibration due to the trail surfaces. True even with the lantern in the case and relatively well padded with the camping gear. The mantles still shatter.

Sparky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob