Laptop GPS - more reliable and stable?

x32792

Adventurer
OK, I've had it with Garmin devices. So what's the good, the bad and the ugly on Mac or MicroSoft based laptop GPS systems?

I've been using Garmin Mac BaseCamp and a Nuvi 1490T. On paved roads, it produces acceptable results, but the minute I get off pavement onto dirt and gravel, it gets confused or shuts down.

851766714_uP6XX-L.jpg

On a recent long overland, I got what you see above and yesterday on a small loop in the Florida Ocala National Forest, my dash unit shut down and refused to display (or run) the programed route after it recalculated due to some closed roads.

I'm ready for a more reliable and stable GPS solution that works....Is a laptop system that solution?

Last edited:

eugene

Explorer
Are those Nuvi's even intended for off road use? The Garmin handhelds work find (since they are designed for off road use).

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I'm partial to windows 7 w/delorme, nat geo, overland navigator, etc...however if you don't already have a netbook/laptop, it might be worth holding off a bit and waiting for a Windows tablet - they aren't out yet, but I'm sure will be out in force come Christmas time.

I have a touchscreen netbook/tablet and it works great for offroad...I've never had issues w/regular hard drives crashing or anything - the most difficult part is designing a mount that won't rattle loose or knock the laptop around offroad - for the most part, in my opinion, regular laptops/netbooks are a great all-around replacement for a small GPS unit.

...as for software, etc...there are plenty of threads here that discuss these ad naseum...

PhulesAU

Explorer
I have no trouble with my Nuvi, but it doesn't have any worthwhile offroad info. netbook and MS streets and Delorme topo is enough for us.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
1) Don't expect to navigate on anything but major thoroughfares with the maps that came with your Nuvi. If you are going to travel the back roads you need topo maps, either the Garmin ones or others available on the internet.

2) Each model of Nuvi handles topo maps differently. I'm no expert - I haven't had personal experience with all of the various models - but from my reading some models don't do well with topos at all. Apparently many of the older model Nuvis were much better in that respect than any of the new ones. You'll have to research all that for yourself. After some research I bought a Nuvi 5000 (now discontinued) and it performs really well with topos.

3) My understanding is that laptop GPS only gives you a bigger screen but functionality is still about the same as a good handheld GPS. Don't expect to plug in some remote location into your unit and have it guide you to it using primitive back roads. Most times it ain't gonna happen. But you can draw in the route you want to take on your computer and then follow that route to your location.

x32792

Adventurer
My most recent issue with my Mac based Garmin Nuvi happened when the device had to "recalculate" my course due to a road closure. After announcing it was "recalculating," it shut itself off.

When I knew I was on my plotted course again, I used the "Where To?" function and re-initiated the course. The device shut itself down again.

For the rest of the day, the device did function as a digital map and did show the NF roads I was on, but it would not display or run the course I had plotted the night before using Mac BaseCamp.

Having now experienced multi-megenta line disorder with my 1st Nuvi and refusal to run a plotted course with my 2nd Nuvi, I would not recommend them for Mac users.

xpdishn

Adventurer
my .02

Bought a Garmin 76csx a couple of years ago and navigated with it for awhile. Then bought a laptop, built a rock solid computer mount - slaved the GPS to Nat Geo TOPO and have had no problems ever. My navigator (wife) views the screen leaving me to drive or vise versa. You can draw your proposed route and follow it though many times we find another road we want to explore and go for that. TOPO has the ability to track your route for a history of where you have been.

Not crowing about TOPO per se as I'm sure there are many other software that does the same.

Good luck,

Gary

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used a number of different laptops (Toughbook, Toshiba, Fuji) and now run an Acer Netbook and love them all.
GPS info is from a Globalsat B353 usb puck that cost $40 to your door.
Then I split the signal with GPSGate into virtual comm ports.
Mapping is done through Ozi-explorer with free USGS maps and
Delorme Topo for autorouting and POI searching.
With this combo I cover the old school cool stuff with the USGS maps and the new fangled featured with Delorme.

If I didn't already own Ozi I would only use Delorme and just download the extra maps from them.
Oh and you pretty much can pick a remote backcountry area and auto route your way there...I do it all the time.

My typical method is to play around at home with Google Earth. Save thinigs on the netbook HD, along with any pdf's, webpages (historical info and other stuff for the trip), and then I have it all with me.
I also use the netbook for music, pdf service manual, ham radio programing and info, image editing, video editing, journal/trip report writing in route and soooo much more.

I know quite a few moto guys who carry a netbook (although not forGPS) so I figure I am lucky that I can get the GPS feature going also.

x32792

Adventurer
LapTop GPS System

Even the smallest laptop has a bigger screen than any single purpose GPS device, so I'm liking this...

Next we get a $40 puck (or utilize an existing GPS device as the receiver) and run the GPS signal into a laptop loaded with navigational software and maps.

If Gary means National Geo TOPO!Explorer, this is Mac compatible...a good thing for me as I already own two Mac laptops.

http://www.topo.com/about/topo

As for mounting, the police in my area use onboard computers and these are mounted on "lazy susan" mounts in their cruisers, so somebody sells them.

1leglance, Really like your idea of researching and saving information on your laptop...This eliminates the need for real time internet access while in the bush. Kudos.

John

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I use both a garmin 60 and a 270 and never had that issue........but even in a perfect world autorouting on dirt roads rarely works whatever software you use.

A predefined route yes

Normally if your on a track not on the basemap or your installed maps the GPS will try and use the nearest "road" to join your waypoints.

Off road I pre-prepare route and waypoints along it- turn off the

"jump to road" function

and you should be fine- ie use the off road setting or for boats

Car only gps units are developed for roads.......the software to match

I can't comment on Mac software- but garmin for me to date is both reliable and has global software and support both directly and third party maps

Offroad or on small tracks simply won't ever be fully accurate as no one really GPS maps it- its just taken from existing maps as relative positions.

USGS maps for example can be 50 years old...........so what you see is not always what you get on the ground

Over here in the Middle east there is little or no GPS maps accept for the cities, and some GPS co-ordinates from the offroad guide books.

When i plan a route I check it all on Google earth, my GE settings are max on stored sat maps so even with no reception - ie anywhere outside of town I still have the info I need.

Offroad navigation won't ever be autorouting as per a city and the latest map

It will allways be amix of GPS - standard map and whatever other info you have.

Junctions routes and river crossings on dirt roads change over time, some one elses recent track is as good as you'l ever get it.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I'm in the same situation as the OP and almost pulled the trigger to buy MicroSoft S&T with dongle and all.

Been hearing that Delorme with USGS/Topo or some other offpavement feature is the way to go.

Probably sacreligious to say so, but from the demos and the little that I have seen of overland navigator, it appears that you can get all the same functionality from the other software programs and for a fraction of the price.

-Sam

BCcamp

Observer
We run Delorme Topo USA on a MacBook Pro using Bootcamp and have been very satisfied with it. For a GPS receiver, we use our PN-20 tethered to the laptop via the USB connector that comes with the unit. Very straightforward to set up and use, but be forewarned that Delorme Topo software has a steep learning curve because the software has many, many features, and the Delorme user manuals could be better.

This setup provides us with the best of both worlds. A very good GPS for hiking and biking, and a full featured software package on the laptop to do navigation, planning, route selection, and general poking around. Although I've used the laptop and Delorme for general street navigation, I prefer our nuvi255 for its ease of use.

The new PN-60 looks like a winner, especially if you want SPOT. If that isn't necessary, then the PN-40 bundled with Topo USA Version 9 would be a good choice.

x32792

Adventurer
"God Is In The Detail"

There is a parallel thread entitled, "Laptop Based GPS Software options?" in the Mapping, Navigation, GIS (Software) section:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45588

Had I seen the other thread earlier, I would not have stated this one... My apologies.

I am now subscribed to both threads and hope specific recommendations on Software, GPS Receivers, and Map Sets will be identified (and specified) for both Mac and PC users.

John

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
Thank you for contacting DeLorme Technical Support. Topo 8 will only install and operate in a Windows environment. If you have an Intel based Mac, you can use Parallels or Bootcamp to run Windows and then install our software.

You can use any GPS receiver that processes GPS signal in the NMEA 0183 standard with our Topo software.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333