Larry's 1978 K10

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
I'm a little lost which exact fittings you are looking for and don't know their thread pitch, but Fragola and Russell have pretty much everything under the sun. Not sure if they have the correct steel ones, which are preferred for the high pressure side of PS systems, but converting to AN fittings can greatly simplify everything IMO. plus, they are field serviceable unlike most crimp end hi-pressure hoses. If you're putting all your stopping and steering eggs into one basket, I prefer to make it as simple and easy to fix as possible. I just used the Russell adapters to convert a P pump into my Ford (80+ metric pressure fitting at pump, 70s SAE inverted flare at box).

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/adapter-fittings/power-steering.shtml
http://fragolaperformancesystems.com/catalog/fragola-performance-catalog.pdf

toddz69

Explorer
I'm a little lost which exact fittings you are looking for and don't know their thread pitch, but Fragola and Russell have pretty much everything under the sun. Not sure if they have the correct steel ones, which are preferred for the high pressure side of PS systems, but converting to AN fittings can greatly simplify everything IMO. plus, they are field serviceable unlike most crimp end hi-pressure hoses. If you're putting all your stopping and steering eggs into one basket, I prefer to make it as simple and easy to fix as possible. I just used the Russell adapters to convert a P pump into my Ford (80+ metric pressure fitting at pump, 70s SAE inverted flare at box).

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/adapter-fittings/power-steering.shtml
http://fragolaperformancesystems.com/catalog/fragola-performance-catalog.pdf

The info I provided was in reference to the posts preceding mine where the intent was to use OEM hoses as much as possible. I certainly understand the reasoning for wanting to do it that way.

I'm in the same boat as you - I prefer to convert everything to AN and then make my own hoses with re-useable fittings. It's particularly useful in my situation where I'm building hydroboost/power steering combinations in a vehicle (Early Bronco) that never had them originally. My engineer/racecar prep/sano fetish side really likes making hoses exactly the length I want with the ends clocked perfectly for my application.

OK - back to Larry's truck :)

Todd Z.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Exactly what Todd said. Although, I don’t mind AN lines and fittings. I’ve only done two projects with AN goods and haven’t become one of those guys that is good at spec’ing the right AN bits and pieces the on the first 3 orders
histerical.gif

Errrr, last project I did with AN stuff I sent more wrong stuff back to Summit than I actually bought and I was only making simple trans lines for a 4L60E swap into a 2wd truck. Once you become well experienced with spec’ing AN fittings and what not, it looks like decent stuff.

Okay, fitting discussion off....:ylsmoke:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for your pics and info Larry. It seems like the hunt will be on this summer to find a good donor truck, but I really think my chances are slim at best. All the junk yards have got rid of their old GM stuff so there is really nothing left to find. I wonder if LMC has anything at a reasonable price or if there are aftermarket stuff that can be had without breaking the bank. If anyone has some ideas then I hope its ok for you to add your info here. I dont want to jack your thread Larry, but I am really at a loss as to find a good place to get the pedal assembly and the other bits and pieces that you said a re necessary. If you can find anything around your way (Colorado) I would be more than happy to pay for it plus your time to remove it as I really dont think I can find anything in my neck of the woods.
Cheers, Chilli..:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks for your pics and info Larry. It seems like the hunt will be on this summer to find a good donor truck, but I really think my chances are slim at best. All the junk yards have got rid of their old GM stuff so there is really nothing left to find. I wonder if LMC has anything at a reasonable price or if there are aftermarket stuff that can be had without breaking the bank. If anyone has some ideas then I hope its ok for you to add your info here. I dont want to jack your thread Larry, but I am really at a loss as to find a good place to get the pedal assembly and the other bits and pieces that you said a re necessary. If you can find anything around your way (Colorado) I would be more than happy to pay for it plus your time to remove it as I really dont think I can find anything in my neck of the woods.
Cheers, Chilli..:)

You bet Chili! We lost the best salvage yard in Southern Colorado last year due one of the owners dying. They had acres and acres of old and new trucks of all makes and models. With them being closed it is hard to find anything for any truck these days but I’ll keep my eyes peeled for an automatic hydroboost pedal for you. Seems everybody is looking for square body style hydro clutch pedals and hydroboost brake pedals. I also need a hydroboost brake pedal for the Polar Bear as I have everything else for hydroboost except a pedal. I imagine it won’t take much to figure out how to make a vacuum brake pedal work for hydroboost. I think the pivot pin just needs to be moved a little bit. If I figure it out I’ll post up the details. That would probably be easier than taking the pedal box apart to replace just the brake pedal anyway.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
You bet Chili! We lost the best salvage yard in Southern Colorado last year due one of the owners dying. They had acres and acres of old and new trucks of all makes and models. With them being closed it is hard to find anything for any truck these days but I'll keep my eyes peeled for an automatic hydroboost pedal for you. Seems everybody is looking for square body style hydro clutch pedals and hydroboost brake pedals. I also need a hydroboost brake pedal for the Polar Bear as I have everything else for hydroboost except a pedal. I imagine it won't take much to figure out how to make a vacuum brake pedal work for hydroboost. I think the pivot pin just needs to be moved a little bit. If I figure it out I'll post up the details. That would probably be easier than taking the pedal box apart to replace just the brake pedal anyway.

Thanks Larry. Anything you can do to help me find a pedal assembly and such to make this work will be the best. Any other members are always welcome to help out. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks Larry. Anything you can do to help me find a pedal assembly and such to make this work will be the best. Any other members are always welcome to help out. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

I see hydroboost square nose trucks from time to time in the yards here in Phoenix but they are becoming more rare. I'll put it on my mental list of things to look for!

Todd Z.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
Thanks Larry. Anything you can do to help me find a pedal assembly...

I posted a WTB on a few other truck forums. The '68-72 forum proved most helpful, despite the focus on earlier trucks. Here's my WTB with good photos of the differences between the pedals. Feel free to use them in your own WTB.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=584523

Looking for a GMC-Chevy Squarebody pedal set for a hydraulic clutch master AND hydroboost brakes. This is for my '76 K25.

Not sure what you've got? The easiest way to check is if there are two studs pressed into the pedal bracket that go through the firewall.

Columnandpedalbracket.jpg

Pedaldifferences.jpg

Looking for the pedals on the left (Hydro/Hydro). The pedals on the right are vacuum/mechanical.

hydropedals.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I posted a WTB on a few other truck forums. The '68-72 forum proved most helpful, despite the focus on earlier trucks. Here's my WTB with good photos of the differences between the pedals. Feel free to use them in your own WTB.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=584523

Wow:Wow1:this info is of great use. Thanks for posting. Has anyone ever re drilled a stock vacuum boost pedal so that is has the same dimensions as a hydro boost pedal? Now that would make things a lot easier...:wings:

SlowJoe

I have a 77 K20 with the manual transmission. I recently converted it to hydroboost with a unit that I got from Vanco ( http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/66.htm ) The bracket he made to mount it to the firewall required slotting the holes to match up to the studs and I also had to open up the hole in the firewall a bit. I told him about these issues and he seemed surprised, so maybe I got the wrong bracket somehow. My brake pedal already had a hole from the factory above the pin that the master cylinder hooks to. Apparently the pin got installed in the upper hole for hydroboost and in the lower hole for vacuum boost. I ground off the riveted portion of the pin and knocked it out of the hole. I then installed it in the upper hole and back welded it to make it permanent. Good luck!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have a 77 K20 with the manual transmission. I recently converted it to hydroboost with a unit that I got from Vanco ( http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/66.htm ) The bracket he made to mount it to the firewall required slotting the holes to match up to the studs and I also had to open up the hole in the firewall a bit. I told him about these issues and he seemed surprised, so maybe I got the wrong bracket somehow. My brake pedal already had a hole from the factory above the pin that the master cylinder hooks to. Apparently the pin got installed in the upper hole for hydroboost and in the lower hole for vacuum boost. I ground off the riveted portion of the pin and knocked it out of the hole. I then installed it in the upper hole and back welded it to make it permanent. Good luck!

Looks like a cool link Joe. The only problem is that this kit, as far as I can see, has no pedal linkage. It only has the cylinder and booster plus lines. If I am right you would still have to go out and find a pedal assembly to make the whole thing work. The kit also talks about a special power steering pump to handle the load of both the power steering and the hydro boost. That is of course an added cost and it does not specify which pump you should get...:Wow1:

Dratwagon

Adventurer
I might have a couple hydro brake pedals, I'll have to check in the day light, is there any difference between the two buckets?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I am running an auto transmission so the clutch pedal assembly is not important. The pedal for the hydro boost is though. I believe the whole pedal assembly with both brake and clutch pedal is one unit, is it not? I will probably need the rods that attach the cylinder to the pedal assembly and the push rod and housing too:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3