Leave the bed or flat bed?

taylorf16

I've got a 2002 Double Cab Tacoma.
Solid front axle, 5 speed swapped, rear e locker.
Wondering if I should rip the bed off and go round bar and flat bed or just leave the bed alone... I've got a bender and would like being able to build it how I want, but like the stock look.

The truck will soon be getting a Mercedes turbo diesel, and used as a go anywhere over landing truck. We plan on taking the wife, daughter, dog down the west coast and camping in a RTT this summer.

Do you guys have any suggestions on flat bed bar design? Any must haves you wish you'd have done?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
I'd personally leave the stock engine in it and leave the factory bed on it. If the factory bed is rusted out really bad I can see removing it but only then.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like keeping the vehicle as stock looking at as possible...doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Have an ARB bumper, and I don't even like that, wish someone made a steel bumper that looked stock.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
If your even questioning it, then you probably wouldn't be happy till you did flatbed it. You don't need any of us to reassure you of your decisions. It's your truck, do what you want.

But we really need some pictures before and WHEN you do it ;)

Just food for thought if you haven't seen this already:
http://m.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=191787&styleid=51

After seeing that, you probably really want to do it now. His flatbed makes me wanna do it to mine.

Oh and did I mention we need pictures of the truck now.

taylorf16

Of course. Sorry. Here they are

neryrave.jpg

ty7ebera.jpg

ajyhy9us.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorf16

Stock engine only gets me 240 miles per tank. Diesel would get me around 400 per tank. Plus it's a turbo diesel! I don't plan on selling it so if you're concerned about resale value, I'm not. I'm only about $2000 into the truck so anything above that, I'm happy with. The stock bed so far is painted and beat up, I've already drilled holes in the rails and am wondering how much more custom add ons it can take before it goes to ****. Maybe I'll mount the flat bed on the factory bed mounts and if I don't like it, I can put the regular bed back on..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taylorf16

Dwill. Thanks for the link. I was hoping someone would post some "check this one out" links

toyota_jon

Adventurer
If it were me I'd leave the bed alone. It doesn't look like it's in too bad of shape from the pics you posted.

That said if I WERE going with a flatbed I'd go with something like this...

02-bed.gif

Nice and light with a lot of functionality.

Gotta ask what benz motor are you going with? I keep dreaming about throwing a D4D into my '04, and making my own hilux.

taylorf16

If they're cool, post em up... Diesel motor is an OM617 out of an 84 MB 300TD. I looked at the Toyota diesels and they're 4x the $$ for the exact same power and little to non US support.

bkg

Explorer
IMHO, D-cabs look horrible with flat beds. Unless you've found a reason that the stock bed isn't suiting your needs, I'd leave it alone for now. Spend at least a few trips with the current bed config and FULLY understand what you need in a tube-bed before making a change. Anything that you do w/o that understanding will be wasted time.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
617 is a legendary motor. Make sure you post plenty of pics and details when you do it. I know there are a few of us who'd be more than a little interested!:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach