Leaving Annex Attached to RTT?

OregonLC

Observer
For the life of me I can't find a video I watched the other day. It was a smaller vehicle (Subaru?) that had a RTT with annex. The video was of them deploying the tent. In the video, the annex was already attached (minus the bottom floor?).

The few times I've used mine (because it's a royal PITA to set up) I've removed it before folding the tent back down.

Does anyone leave theirs attached full time? If so, any problems with stowage? Does the top still fit properly? Does the ladder close up correctly?

dcg141

Adventurer
Since they usually use the same rail as the cover it would not practical or even possible that I can imagine. Now I have though about storing it inside the tent with the floor attached.

OregonLC

Observer
Since they usually use the same rail as the cover it would not practical or even possible that I can imagine. Now I have though about storing it inside the tent with the floor attached.

Good point. It's been a while since I've deployed mine and I had forgotten the imperative to remove the cover.

I wonder if it would be possible to have an upholstery shop fashion as strip that has the insertion bead with a strip of 2" Velcro. Then modify both the cover and the annex with Velcro, un-attaching the one side of the annex for storage. Just trying to think of an easier way to accomplish the mission. It's a nice feature but mostly unused for me because of the PITA factor.

Last edited:

Basil.

That's the one! So how do you recon they did that? I see that they removed the cover, but don't see any install time on the annex.

Maybe they just don't put the rear of the annex on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonLC

Observer
That might be it. As long as bugs aren't a factor it should work pretty well with just three sides. It would take a lot of blowing rain to make it in from that side.

dcg141

Adventurer
Good point. It's been a while since I've deployed mine and I had forgotten the imperative to remove the cover.

I wonder if it would be possible to have an upholstery shop fashion as strip that has the insertion bead with a strip of 2" Velcro. Then modify both the cover and the annex with Velcro, un-attaching the one side of the annex for storage. Just trying to think of an easier way to accomplish the mission. It's a nice feature but mostly unused for me because of the PITA factor.

You might be on to something there. I always put out mine up for if nothing else the storage. My rig is my dirt bike riding trailer so I have alot of gear.

dcg141

Adventurer
My deal is more having to attach the floor as well as the annex and then having to stuff it all the the carry bag after takedown. If you could store it in the tent and just pull it out to attach that would save me time.

dcg141

Adventurer
That's the one! So how do you recon they did that? I see that they removed the cover, but don't see any install time on the annex.
Look closely. That's not the annex with the extended side of the tent. That whole annex is under the floor. Possibly it connects different?

Last edited:

1MK

ExploreDesert
I was able to store mine under the cover and attached (minus where it slides into the shared slot with the cover). What worked for us was to neatly fold the annex to the sides of the ladder so we didn't increase the height.

Tepui Kukenam Annex by The Adventure Continues, on Flickr

Last edited:

OregonLC

Observer
My deal is more having to attach the floor as well as the annex and then having to stuff it all the the carry bag after takedown. If you could store it in the tent and just pull it out to attach that would save me time.

With mine, the ladder is inside the annex so I'd need to leave the floor off (at least partially) to extend the ladder to open the tent. But perhaps with smaller tents that would work?

OregonLC

Observer

I have the Mr. Ranier (2nd one) and the principle would be the same, it's just that the ladder is on the inside. The bar supporting the overhang slides back into that side of the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater