LED Headlights

M.Bas

Adventurer
Lights shining on a wall doesn't say a lot to me.
What view do you get on the road?

A comparison like this says much more to me.

And a small tip for the next time you take photo's for light comparison. Set up your camera for full manual settings so the settings are the same with every photo. Makes a much better comparison.

Last edited:

beast1210

Adventurer
I too would like to see some beam shots, I have been curious about all these LED lights cause they dont seem to really use the reflector housing to shape the light like other lights, more that they are a diffused wash of bright light, unlike HID retros that would have crisp beam cutoff.

M.Bas

Adventurer
I too would like to see some beam shots, I have been curious about all these LED lights cause they dont seem to really use the reflector housing to shape the light like other lights, more that they are a diffused wash of bright light, unlike HID retros that would have crisp beam cutoff.
Each LED has it's own reflector ;)
That the shape is more like a wash is because it are multiple parallel light sources. It's technically possible to focus them on one spot on a wall, but when you change the distance it's going to be "blurry" again.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
One of the concerns -- well, maybe questions is a better word -- I have about LED main lighting on vehicles is the potential for ice buildup on the lens during cold, snowy driving. Many times I've needed the heat from my H4's to prevent ice buildup.

Scott, have you been able to measure any lens surface temperatures, or otherwise form any opinions about this?

Don

vdeal

Observer
4xdog,

Legitimate concern on the ice issues. I heard recently that cities are having problems with traffic lights with led's not being warm enough to melt the snow or ice off of them. Here's a news story about this issue. I can see it being a major issue where I live. If you have an ungaraged vehicle here the ice build up during our too frequent ice storms can be considerable. Not sure I would want LED's in that situation.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Seems like incorporating some type of heating element would be a simple solution to that problem (talking about the headlight mfg's).

Scott Brady

Founder
One of the concerns -- well, maybe questions is a better word -- I have about LED main lighting on vehicles is the potential for ice buildup on the lens during cold, snowy driving. Many times I've needed the heat from my H4's to prevent ice buildup.

Scott, have you been able to measure any lens surface temperatures, or otherwise form any opinions about this?

Don

Good point. Not an issue so far in Prescott, even with considerable snow and low temps. this winter. Not quite scientific, but so far, so good.

PhulesAU

Explorer
A side note, these were also intended to be Fleet replacement for trucking companies. The whole 10,000 hours of use thing. I'm still waiting to run across someone running them.

4xdog

Explorer
PhulesAU --

Keep your eyes peeled. On a thousand-mile trip on the interstates of the midwest at the start of the month, I probably noticed a dozen Class 8 trucks with LED lights, and not really looking. They're out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater