Let me see your "expedition" F250!

Bullsnake

Adventurer
I have been toying (as I have a hard time NOT doing!) with the idea of making my F250 a little more off road and excursion capable. I know I have seen some great trucks out there on the road, but am curious as to what everyone has tried and what works.

The truck I will be working with is my '08 F250 club cab short box diesel. I have had the truck since new, and it has been a fantastic truck, even in it's bone stock state. I am currently thinking about a Rough Country 4" lift, Fab Fours front and rear bumper, Warn Winch, Softopper, etc. I would like to install some sort of rack off the bed rails as well, to allow me to carry a kayak or canoe without losing bed space to put my dual sport or bikes in.

Post up and let me know what is working for you, and please post pics if you have them!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Rough Country? On a $50,000 truck? Oh #$%^ no. Rough Country rides.....well.....rough. Of course that depends on the truck type, but every RC kit I've seen on lesser vehicles was much less than inspiring. Especially Jeep kits. A nice truck like yours deserves better.

Check out BDS, Superlift, Fabtech. I like BDS the best. There are even better companies still, but I don't mention those as they're geared more towards desert driving and are quite expensive. BDS kits are easy to install on Superduties and you can opt for a 4 link front, and/or a taller rear spring so you won't have any blocks taller than stock. They have the instructions posted online, you can see how simple a BDS/Superduty combo is.

Personally I like opting for the 4 link option, but keep the stock Ford rear springs.
http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=3&mo=21&ty=1&yr=2008-2010

All my personal trucks are gone right now. I am also going to be building a new Superduty this fall. Hopefully a 2006 regular cab. I found a few with less than 60k miles at around $15k.

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
check out my website overlandxt.com Im in the process of building the exact rack you are describing. The back half is done and there will be a basket rack that goes from the back of what you see to half way over the cab without touching the cab. It will hold both of our kayaks as well.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the replies! I know there are already a few threads similar to this, but I am looking to set this up as a "drive from Iowa to Moab and back with the boys and equipment rig", and a lot of other threads focus solely on the off-road capabilities, and not how they handle road and dirt!

Regcabguy - Do you have any more info on the Carli systems? They look EPIC and I don't mind dropping the cash for a quality product, I would just love to hear from someone that has done it and that it is as good as it looks! The lift height looks perfect, as I definitely didn't want to go any higher than 4-4 1/2" max for lift height. This truck does everything from grocery duty to checking cattle and moving bale racks, so I can't sacrifice too much of it's dependability and drivability by doing a mega-lift.

cowboy4x4- I checked your site, but didn't see any pictures of the Super Duty and the rack - can you point me to a specific page or area? the stuff you are doing with the trailers looks incredible, and if you are putting together a rack system for the SD's I am DEFINITELY interested!

Definitely canning the Rough Country lift-I live in Iowa, and although I daily drive my Super Duty, my actual "Expedition" rigs are a custom built '78 FJ-40 by Proffitt's Cruisers, and a Rover Tracks modified Defender 110. This is my first foray into a domestic full size truck modification, and everyone local here has more of a "Go big or go home!" attitude about getting a truck set up for off roading. I would have never even heard of Carli had it not been for this site, and I am looking forward to any other help that is out there!

Thanks again everyone!

Halligan

Adventurer
If the Carli suspension for the Ford is half as good as their Dodge products it's a hands down winner over any other aforementioned manufacturer. I installed Carli in my Dodge and the product is superior.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Another quick question- has anyone here done a DPS delete system on their 6.4L engines? My truck only has 64K on it, but I am getting the check engine light quasi-regulary due to the DPS system. I have had it into the dealership a few times and they say that it is "normal" as sometimes the system doesn't get warm enough to clean itself out on short hops, and consequently the DPS builds up over time and throws a code. I have been able to find one guy locally that has done the full turbo back exhaust system and he absolutely loves it. he says the performance and milage gains alone were worth the change, and he isn't worried at all about any adverse effects on the engine. If I was out of warranty I wouldn't give it a second thought, but with only 60K miles and lots of warranty to go I would hate to do something to give me grief should something go kaboom...

Bullsnake

Adventurer
'Nother question (sorry!) Running the Carli system what wheels would everyone suggest using? I have used several different rims in the past, just wondering what would fit. I want to go down from the stock 20's to maybe a 17 or 18, and I will be running BFG KM2's on it, as that is what I run on everything I own and I absolutely love their on and off road performance.

Thanks again!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Being a fellow Rover addict, I found this thread interesting as I have built my PW (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62790-07-Power-Wagon-w-Ute-bed-extras-warranty) and selling it to keep my new 250. I am making it less extreme, and bit more comfortable as the realization that 99% of our excursion miles are paved or at least gravel. So, I have done a Tuff Country add a leaf in the rear and a 2.5" spacer in front allowing for 37/12.50x17 on stock 17's. I too am a KM2 fan, but found some new Goodyear GS-A with their Dura Wall sidewalks which were basically developed for the later Hummer H-1, and are an A/T. Went with the new diesel which is awesome power with an honest 20+ mpg, and the E-locker rear. Currently I have a soft tonneau but probably will run a flush cap eventually. We are pleased with our Oz-5, and have a M101 that we may equip as a chuck wagon and equipment ferry. Anyway, great truck for the long haul- best of luck with yours. Cheers

TRDFAN

Adventurer
Here is a pic for this thread. I will post more later tonight.

DSCF0152.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad