Let's discuss offroad adventure and "Gucci" vehicles

Run dog

Observer
I'll admit I am new to the "Expedition World" as defined on here. However, after competing in King of Hammers, 3 Super Crawl national Rock competitions and multiple offroad series events, I'm pretty rehearsed at extreme offroad competitions and survival. That being said, I've built, bought and sold some of the most extreme purely offroad technical rigs in the country. Recently, after retiring from the military I am down sizing and looking at various Expo type rigs. I've read a lot on Earth Roamers, Sportsmobiles etc. However, I continue to be dumbfounded on the various marketing strategies and real life usage of some of these rigs. I'll admit they are cool to look at. However, I have yet to see one really on much more than a fire road, open desert or flat terrain that a 2 WD could easily negotiate. So why would anyone drop that much $$$ on something so big, heavy sprung weight and heavy military type tires that are never going to provide real traction?
I would like to see any of the Gucci brands actually put to a real test as advertised!!! Why not try to take one thru the Rubicon trail, Fordyce Creek, run Dakar, Moab upper Helldorado etc? Instead I read about the National Expos, where they all show up, set up camp and talk about all the "Wheeling" they've done and have prepared for an off-roading Apocolypse buy outfitting their rigs with all the latest. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great adventure write ups and actually people out and pursuing adventure in extreme conditions. However, I rarely see those under built expensive rigs doing anything other than terrain that can be done by a stock Toyota. Outside of cool factor, are most of those buyers posers or are they really getting what is advertised and does anyone really believe those rigs could actually wheel in harsh terrain?
I understand the pop up market, that makes sense. However, these massive Mogs, portals, F550s and Tigers are nothing more than a 4WD RV made for snowy weather. Let's open up for discussion and opinions on EXPO marketing and offroad vehicle capabilities. I'm not wanting a vendor bashing thread, just a little insight to what everyone truelly thinks about requirements for offroad sustainment and capabilities. Thanks

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Let's open up for discussion and opinions on EXPO marketing and offroad vehicle capabilities.

You are missing a key part of the philosophy of "overland" vehicles. They are not intended to be "off road" vehicles. They are intended to be "bad road" vehicles.

Would you really want to travel for months in a full-blown rock crawler? Probably not. But if you intended to travel for months, and knew that you would be going places where the roads might be pretty bad, then you'd want a comfortable vehicle to live in, that would hopefully not get stuck nearly as much as an "RV".

4WD is a tool. You use it when you need it. Hopefully, you won't need it.
vs.
4WD is a toy. You use for the fun of it just because you can.

I've done both. Both are fun. Overlanding is not rock crawling. People have driven around the world in the vehicles that you mentioned. How many have driven around the world in a vehicle that could win a Super Crawl National Rock Competition? Racers bring their competition vehicles to the party on a trailer. They sure don't try to live in them for months at a time.

If you're out in the middle of freakin nowhere, do you really want to test out your extreme rock crawling and survival skills? No way, you want to make it from Point A to Point B without having to walk for 100 miles because you broke the truck.

Apples and oranges.

Here's one of the overlanding bibles to get an idea of the goals that overlanding vehicles are built to achieve:

http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/choosevan.htm

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Certainly not trying to be condescending or insulting here.....but this is one of those things that bother me when I hear about people talking overlanding or expo builds....

There is a big difference between "wheeling", "rock crawling",(whatever) and true overlanding. I can understand the confusion as the term "expo" gets bantered around a lot.

It is unlikely you will ever see me taking my overland vehicle through the obstacles found at Mohab....I would have to be in a pretty desperate situation to take such a route. Overland or expedition vehicles are generally designed to travel long distances over various terrain (yes, roads of some sort or another are often part of that terrain...but not always). The design is not (or should not) for tackling extreme off-road situations, but rather to maximise long range self sufficiency.

So let's change the perspective of your post a bit....I would like to see one of your extreme off road rigs travel with me across Algeria or even Morocco (in case you want to start a bit less extreme). Your rig must travel self sufficiently (i.e. no chase or support vehicles....i.e. Dakar rally) and carry all you need for yourself and "crew"....resupply while traveling is OK, but you are limited to what you encounter along the way. If you are a very good driver, you may be able to pull it off with a 2WD.....I certainly would not try.

Now. with that out of my system.... ;-) ....

I would be willing to bet that a Unicat built Terracross Unimog (kind of "Gucci" I think) could tackle much of that extreme stuff you are talking about (not all, by any means......I am sure)...but the pure technical ability is there.

One last comment, if you are not "seeing" these vehicles "out there"...then maybe you are going to the wrong places! Have you ever even been outside the US?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
They are in the US too, just not on the HARRRRRCOOOOORRREEE, rock piles. Like I said, traveling 3miles in a day on a pile of rocks is NOT off roading, its Crawling and after about an hr its BORING. Wow look at that......Yeah, we've been looking at that for the last 2 hrs. Ditch the rock crawling, buy a stock rig, pop on some traction devices, decent tires, Load it up and go for a week. Much more fulfilling. You will see more in that week, than you would in a lifetime in your rock buggys.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Ha! Good one!
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. You have the perspective of starting with driving some serious terrain. You know how to tackle certain obstacles and conditions. So, building a non-hardcore truck, you will have a good idea what will work for you and what won't, what to bring, what to bolt on or fabricate to make your vehicle work for you. On the otherhand, I have no doubt there are members here that have driven nothing more than dirt forest roads, yet espouse the virtues of lockers, winches and traction mats. Using Jedi mind tricks and finess is a staple to tackling the nastiest obstacles here sometimes. Learn to levitate your 80 series and you too can be among the enlightened!

In all seriousness though. This site is HUGE in terms of numbers. You will find all types here that are into defining things. You will also find those who DO have great experience in travelling and such. Take what you will from it, leave the rest.

libarata

Expedition Leader
This is not an offroading forum, it is about long distance exploration in relative comfort. Next question.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Having slept on it...a question...

What is MORE "Gucci":

An "ExPo" vehicle?
or
A dedicated Rock Crawler (or Sand Rail) that spends more time in the garage or on a trailer than it does being driven?

BillTex

Adventurer
There was an article here earlier this year, on a couple traveling in some far eastern region in their blue mog. They flew in to this country, drove a few hundred miles, and flew back home. They never went “off road” (at least not in this article) and they commented they had never even slept in this uber vehicle. They slept in hotels. They could have done the same trip in a prius. Their biggest adventure on this trip was a flat tire.
I think this is what the OP is referring to.
Wish I could find a link to the article.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Where is the nearest rock crawler forum I can go and complain about how slow, uncomfortable, loud, and cold/hot the rigs are? Cuz that is what I am getting from the OP.

tommudd

Explorer
I find the term "Gucci" interesting in comparing vehicles
I'd like to see real world costs on a full blown rock buggy and some of the builds on here that people take round the world.
I'm sure there is not that much difference. Which do you get the most enjoyment out of? Depends on the person and what they are wanting out of life.
While rock crawling / bouncing is fun to watch for a few minutes I'd rather be out on some back road somewhere exploring it. Do I always need 4 wheel drive?
No not at all but if I have it then chances are I'll use it somewhere along the trip to save my *** when I see whats down that next trail

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
He does have a good point though. Extreme car camping does not equal "expedition". A large number of people seem to be afflicted by what I call the Indiana Jones Syndrome or Livingstone Disease. Delusions of grandeur... wearing $400 worth of Filson gear while sipping espresso from a snow peak mug, standing in your campground at the local state park.

In general there has been a movement to group all "four wheeling" activities (save the fringes) under the "Expo" umbrella. Which I'm okay with because overall I think its a better image for all of us.

But please, dont exaggerate the profoundness of your latest car camping/four wheeling weekend trip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven