Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

mkitchen

Explorer
In response to Tstege's question:

If you go to the full size you can see my build forum. The last bit covers the construction of the boxes. I am not a good builder but the boxes turned out pretty well. I want to build a removable center box that will open up to a 7' bed when needed. My goal is to have that done by the EXPO in May. I will cover that part on my build forum too.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57673-1971-F-250-4X4-is-Back-Home
Mikey

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Question regaridng running power to shell

Lots of creative designs and efficient use of space so far. I'm in the market for a new truck that will get a shell (aka topper/cap/etc.) and was wondering where you run your power from the truck into the bed area. I sold a truck/shell a few years ago that had a 12V dome light but I'm drawing a complete blank on where the wire was run. I've searched a bit and found a couple of suggestions. One is to drill a hole in the bed and fit it with a grommet (not optimal i.m.o.). The second is to run the wire through one of the stake holes but I don't see how heavy gauge wire will fit since the shell will cover those holes.

Along the same lines, for those of you using an auxillary battery, how many of you have it under the hood vs. in the shell? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Lots of creative designs and efficient use of space so far. I'm in the market for a new truck that will get a shell (aka topper/cap/etc.) and was wondering where you run your power from the truck into the bed area. I sold a truck/shell a few years ago that had a 12V dome light but I'm drawing a complete blank on where the wire was run. I've searched a bit and found a couple of suggestions. One is to drill a hole in the bed and fit it with a grommet (not optimal i.m.o.). The second is to run the wire through one of the stake holes but I don't see how heavy gauge wire will fit since the shell will cover those holes.

Along the same lines, for those of you using an auxillary battery, how many of you have it under the hood vs. in the shell? Thanks in advance.

Mike

I had a pickup with a third brake light and a dome light inside, the wiring for the dome light came up a back corner next to where the wiring for the brake light came up. The drilled into the inside of the bed next to the tailgate and used a grommet, there there was about 2-3 inches of wire inside plastic tubing so it would rub on anything and short out, then went inside the rubber gasket around the hatch and up to the lights.

Jman

OK, next question for you guys. I am in the process of setting up my truck and cap for camping. The truck has a 5.5' bed, I am 6'2", no problem I will sleep with the tailgate open and get one of those tents to go over the end from DAC. The real problem is that the truck is tall and the wife is short, what are you using for steps to make getting in/out of the back easier. I thought about a small step mounted to the hitch but with the tailgate down it isn't a useful option. Thoughts?

DaveNay

Adventurer
OK, next question for you guys. I am in the process of setting up my truck and cap for camping. The truck has a 5.5' bed, I am 6'2", no problem I will sleep with the tailgate open and get one of those tents to go over the end from DAC. The real problem is that the truck is tall and the wife is short, what are you using for steps to make getting in/out of the back easier. I thought about a small step mounted to the hitch but with the tailgate down it isn't a useful option. Thoughts?

I am faced with EXACTLY the same situation. I am contemplating a tailgate ladder.

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-10-3000-Truck-Pal-Tailgate-Ladder/dp/B00180UVGO

Jman

Have a special 12vt. cord that plugs in to my trailer wiring outlet that feeds a pair of power outlets in bed - for running lights/fan when needed.

Frank
95 Chev 4x4
Northern VA.

Anybody know where I can get one of these? Is it always live?

Thanks

Higbean

Observer
Here's my junk.
033C33CC-30A3-41D2-A84C-1EC6033816E3-12860-000018BCABFF98C6_zps9c17aff2.jpg

d4933119-c6ba-4840-b0b7-c89be498e8a7_zpsdf8307c6.jpg

d26b00c2-1.jpg

DT75FLH

Adventurer

here you go

http://electricrunningboards.com/p-1378-amp-research-bedstep.aspx?gclid=CLiapYmi3bUCFQThQgod4XcAmg

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I have a tall truck as well... and a short wife. I carry a step stool in the back. Love the ideas guys. Just starting to get mine set up. Had a nice set up in college, lived in my truck. Bed on one side, storage under, and on other side. Going to do similar to my current truck this summer.

My current set up.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362272475.721387.jpg

3/4 inch plywood 3/4 the way across the truck. Part of the design was around the Tupperware bins. 6 will fit in the center 2 slots perfectly. Works good but I am going to redesign it. I don't need 6 bins and I want to cut down the floor some. New goal is to go all way across. Lower the floor about 2 inches and notch it so it just sits down in the wheel humors. Install a center drawer that pulls out 3/4. Water tank in back of bed. Fold up portion open the driver side so I can place a fridge on slide in that area.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Anybody know where I can get one of these? Is it always live?

Thanks

i have an AUX 12v battery sitting in my bed, under my platform, wired to my lights and outlets

i have a regular 7pin trailer plug, but i only utilize the center charge wire. it is hooked to my aux battery.

i simply plug in the trailer connector when i need to charge the battery(only when engine is running, as to not kill engine bat. trailer charge wire is always hot on my truck)

the wire simply exits through the gap under my tailgate when charging, otherwise i have no other wires penetrating the bed.

Grimmbrand

camper shell

Not sure if this qualifies as a "regular" but it is a camper shell. It is a Tow-T-Low shell and the top raises like on a slide-in pop-up camper. I haven't really done anything inside of it but the back pops off and I can ride my 4-wheeler inside and still have the overhead bed clear. Picture was taken on the Dempster Highway.

Attachments

• f-350.jpg
    f-350.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 256

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad