Adventurer
2004 Suburban Z71 w/all options. 171k on the clock and still going strong:

sculpture_garden.jpg

I just install 33" Cooper ATPs yesterday and love them:

IMG_7636.JPG

Follow along here!

rayra

Expedition Leader
As you may or may not know the 03 - 06 GMT-800's have problems with stepper motors on the gauges. It's such a common issue that there a number of places that will rebuild your cluster. You just take it out (pop off the trim ring on the dashboard, remove 4 screws and one electrical connector and it's out) and ship it to them. A week later you get it back with all new stepper motors and (if you pay extra), LED backlighting and a trans temp gauge.

I had mine done by these guys:

http://www.circuitboardmedics.com

but there are others out there. For a fully pimped out 'sclade cluster you can go to

http://www.fixmygauges.com

... and you can do much of it yourself, if you want to and have a small bit of experience working a soldering pencil -
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Vortec-Guys!-Sierra-pickup-Suburban-Yukon-etc

same stepper motors on the 00-02, although the cluster light bulbs are different. There are LED solutions for both groups of model years.

justcuz

Explorer
That sounds like it may be a bad ground.

Not sure on your year model, wiring diagrams are online. I would check all body grounds and interior grounds. One body ground strap should be on the drivers side of the firewall under the hood and I believe one may be behind the dash in the vicinity of the parking brake mechanism. Check the wiring diagram for your application though.

LostChord

Observer
Not sure on your year model, wiring diagrams are online. I would check all body grounds and interior grounds. One body ground strap should be on the drivers side of the firewall under the hood and I believe one may be behind the dash in the vicinity of the parking brake mechanism. Check the wiring diagram for your application though.

Thanks! That's a good start. 2005 Z71 Suburban.

HuskerTrev

Observer
aec4ad862e541a31a5dace42a4e648d1.jpg

Here's my 01 tahoe from last spring. Long list of mods but some of the most obvious are: raptor liner exterior, custom built roof rack and under the 2500hd hood is a LQ9 6.0L pushing a rock crusher 4l60e tranny.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
aec4ad862e541a31a5dace42a4e648d1.jpg

Here's my 01 tahoe from last spring. Long list of mods but some of the most obvious are: raptor liner exterior, custom built roof rack and under the 2500hd hood is a LQ9 6.0L pushing a rock crusher 4l60e tranny.

Love the color. Very "OGA" looking. :sombrero:

You probably get this a lot but - when you were swapping out the 5.3 for the 6.0 why didn't you just go with a 4l80E? I mean, unless the 6.0 was stock but I didn't think the 6.0 was ever an option on the 'Hoe.

One more question: Is that plasti-dip on your wheels? I have the same wheels but I don't like the way they look. I'm not sure I have the committment to do a matte finish (though it WOULD conveniently cover up my body rust...) but those wheels in black look pretty decent.

HuskerTrev

Observer
Love the color. Very "OGA" looking. :sombrero:

You probably get this a lot but - when you were swapping out the 5.3 for the 6.0 why didn't you just go with a 4l80E? I mean, unless the 6.0 was stock but I didn't think the 6.0 was ever an option on the 'Hoe.

One more question: Is that plasti-dip on your wheels? I have the same wheels but I don't like the way they look. I'm not sure I have the committment to do a matte finish (though it WOULD conveniently cover up my body rust...) but those wheels in black look pretty decent.
Well, the tranny was fine when the 5.3 cracked a head, but after installing the 6.0 the stock transfer took a crap on me being that I lived in Omaha at the time and worked for a big GM dealer, I was able to source a rock crusher 2 4L60e transmission from certified transmission (they are based out of Omaha) for about a third of the price of converting it to a 4l80. If I had know that the tranny was going to only last a week after swapping the engine, I would have just sourced the 4l80 with lq9 but I had no way of knowing.

It is plasti-dip on the wheels, I am not a fan of the stock hurricane wheels that it came with, so instead of sinking any money into making them look nice, I just sprayed them all so that they were black instead of silver. They are getting replaced this week with these:

d6fe307873c2d6dd2016224286b0cec5.jpg

And another set of general grabber at2s only in 285 70 17. The stock 16s and at2s on it now have a little over 61000 on them and it is time to replace them, so steelies and bigger tires!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, the tranny was fine when the 5.3 cracked a head, but after installing the 6.0 the stock transfer took a crap on me being that I lived in Omaha at the time and worked for a big GM dealer, I was able to source a rock crusher 2 4L60e transmission from certified transmission (they are based out of Omaha) for about a third of the price of converting it to a 4l80. If I had know that the tranny was going to only last a week after swapping the engine, I would have just sourced the 4l80 with lq9 but I had no way of knowing.
Ah, makes perfect sense!
It is plasti-dip on the wheels, I am not a fan of the stock hurricane wheels that it came with, so instead of sinking any money into making them look nice, I just sprayed them all so that they were black instead of silver. They are getting replaced this week with these:
d6fe307873c2d6dd2016224286b0cec5.jpg

And another set of general grabber at2s only in 285 70 17. The stock 16s and at2s on it now have a little over 61000 on them and it is time to replace them, so steelies and bigger tires!
Are those the PPV steelies? Where did you get them? I had a similar set of steelies (obviously not Chevy but Toyota) on my 4runner and I loved the rugged "no frills" look of the plain steelies. Since my 4runner was maroon I painted mine a medium gray:
2014-11-15115607_zps7ada61d8.jpg

HuskerTrev

Observer
They are actually reconditioned spare wheels off of 2010 and up Silverado's and Sierras.

I also like the no frills look. Maybe I can convince my wife to swap her alloys out for steelies on her 4runner!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Love the black steelies.

You said they were reconditioned spares - where did you get them?

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Love the Olive Drab look there HuskerTrev. :ylsmoke: Now you just need to get rid of the chrome bumpers and coat them black and it will look like US Army surplus ( which is a good thing IMHO ). Also digging the new steelies that you put on. Way better looking than the plasti dip wheels. Good work.

HuskerTrev

Observer
Thanks! Plan is to build my own bumpers in the next couple of months, I own a body and fab shop so I have all of the fun toys!

HuskerTrev

Observer
Love the black steelies.

You said they were reconditioned spares - where did you get them?
I sourced them through a company called Keystone Autotmotive. They are owned by LKQ Corp. Most major metro areas are going to have a Keystone supplier. They manufacturer and sell aftermarket body parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal