Lewis and Clark, et. al - 2 months and 8,000 miles in a FJ40.

poriggity

Explorer
Loving it so far!!! Something I would LOVE to do one day.. a long trip, like this. Can't wait to read more.
Scott

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
Great adventure & thanks for sharing - I'm subscribed!

Quick question: If I wanted to make a similar trip & cover the same type of ground, would pulling an Adventure Trailer (Horizon or Teardrop) be a problem? Terrain & location wise?

Thanks again & look forward to reading more!

Cheers!
~CLK

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Nice to read about an American treating the locals well w/ respect. good on you and good on them. Can't wait to read more.:coffeedrink:

John_Arenz

Brings back memories...

Used to travel Baja quite a bit when I was a young man (early 70's). Sounds like it hasn't changed much when it comes to the locals. Makes me want a return visit!

Good to hear the family still has Meling Ranch. Used to base out of there with some buddies from San Diego Mountain Rescue. Climbed Picacho del Diablo a few times, once in a rippin' snowstorm.

Danny Warden closed his shop in Placerville maybe five years ago or more. Was tired of the regulation, workers comp, and dealing with employees. I still see him on occasion, mostly on the Rubicon when we cross paths. Good dude.

Nice report...I'll definitely check back.

sourdough

Adventurer
I dig your ride. I use to run a '68. thanks for the report, I'm enjoying it and appreciate your taking the time to share.
68fj40.jpg

musty40

Observer
Fun trip report.

Also very adventurous to head out in the 40. Haven't done that in a long time, used to do a yearly trip to the SW from MN in one. Lots of good memories.

Alan

tglaser

Observer
Eh, not as adventurous as you might think. The old girl functioned quite nicely actually. Legitimate problems were few and far between. A fuel pump in Oregon, a thermostat near Lassen Nat'l Park and the rest was gravy. As I'm sure you know, even though that thing lives in the slow lane, it's king when it comes to reliability. That was a large part of the draw, as was the fact that while driving a 40 some-odd-year-old vehicle through the countryside, you're actually forced to slow down and breathe and soak in what's around you. When your mind gets to racing and all the worries and struggles and etc of everyday life catches back up to you, the 40 just keeps putting along and puts it all back into perspective. Nothing to worry about, we'll get there, we may be late, but we'll get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater