lexus GX470 vs land rover LR3,LR4

cirquare

hi all
anyone drive GX470? is it good for offroad use?(just some death valley trail nothing too crazy)

I am going to get a new car next couple weeks but I have a hard time to decide between LR3 and GX470. both car are about same price but in the long run I feel gx470 may save me some money for repair. any thought?

thanks

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Both are fine vehicles. If you want more specifics about the lexus you'd be better off posting in the 'yota section.

muskyman

Explorer
the front diffs on the sexy lexy have been a problem spot but the LR3's suffer from none stop hard faults that leave them on the bump stops.

I would pic the lexus if I were picking between the two.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
the front diffs on the sexy lexy have been a problem spot but the LR3's suffer from none stop hard faults that leave them on the bump stops.

I would pic the lexus if I were picking between the two.

I'd highly recommend getting behind the wheel of all of them. You never know what quirks with any of them might rub you the wrong way. :ylsmoke:

GX470 diff should be exactly the same as the 4th Gen 4Runners and the FJ Cruisers. No real problems that I've ever heard of. Maybe the LX470 had diff problems?

Anyhow, can be discussed in another area....

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Well, you pick the one you like and fits your needs better and go with it. I test drove both before making my choice and favored the LR3 but I may be partial to Land Rover. I've previously owner 4Runners though...Oh, and no issues with my LR3 over the past couple of years.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
You never know what quirks with any of them might rub you the wrong way.
One of those quirks is that all pre-2010 GXs had a single side opening rear door, not a hatch. The door is a big thing, so it's rare, for example, that you can open the GX door completely when parked in a home garage with the ovverhead door down. It's also a pain to walk around. My salesperson tells me many GX sales were lost because of the door configuration. It will be changed to a hatch for the new 2010 model, so if you like the vehicle but don't like the door, a short wait is in order.

Beyond that, GXs are 4Runners, so they're quite competent and reliable. I think that your hypothesis that the GX may cost less in the long run is correct. And Lexus service at most dealerships is very good.

I've had many vehicles, and the outstanding thing about my Lexuses has been how good they age. I just passed 60K on an LS430 that still looks and drives like new, and have had them be tight and reliable into the 170-200K mile range.

Alacrity

Owned a GX for 4 Years - 80k on it. it gets some light offroad use in WVA most summers. Its done fine - but its not Moab ;)

GX470 isnt as capable as the LR3 off road - its competent for moderate off roading, if not confidence inspiring, that's all. It will handle easy two-track, traction issues, reasonable clearance and ok angles - if it gets rocky, more dicey.

Land Rover has improved to the third worst reliability. LR3s have arrested the plunging resale value tho - but the GX470 still tend to have better residuals.

Three common issues GX470 has had -

(1) Ride Height Sensors - same as those used on the LX/Amazon - they tend to collect water on the top and corrode. There is a TSB on them in 05ish ?- I believe they changed the design. They can be relocated for "lift " tho. No issues with our GX (I eliminated the problem) - but the LX dumped on us and was replaced under warranty - I required all be replaced with the 'new' style.

(2) Brakes - they tend to "warp" - appears to be uneven friction material deposition. Common complaint. Not much that can be done except use top flight parts - I would not go OEM - purely due to cost. The normal recommendation is Akebone ProAct Ceramics and either Brembos or Power Slot Cryo-Treated Rotors. Not sure about the latter - spendy and likely uneeded.

I was going with Beck-Arnley/ProActs - but my Local NAPA had Brembos cheaper - so Brembos it was. No issue after 30k - after much issue in the previous 50K - with about 1/3 pad wear. Think this has as much to do with proper use/break in/bedding as anyhting. But the above was cheaper than Lexus Genuine or OEM.

I did change the wheels - which may have improved airflow - speculative. Regardless, I havnt had any issues since the brake system change.

(3) Driveline "Clunk" - Hardly an issue. Sometimes under braking, oftern when driving off from a light - the slip joint "clunks". Again, theres a TSB. Reported that proper greasing (all 3 zerts) takes care of the issue - I've never experienced it, likely because its.

The engine is extremely under-stressed and very durable. The rest of the driveline is stout - not like people wheel these much, but I've never heard of any issues from those that have. The ride is comfortable and I prefer the dynamics to either the LC or the LX (having had both) - cant comment on the LR3/4

LR3 wasnt considered when we bought - so I'd drive both and see. They seem to have improved reliability - if you like the LR3/LR4, I wouldn't shy away - tho I would ensure a warranty is in place while I intended to own the Rover (Lexus is up to (72/70k drivetrain). Currently similarly equipped, the LR4 is significantly more expensive but more powerful - the difference is mostly electronic do-dads that dont do much for me - and leather. I wouldnt option a LR4 up. That may entail ordering.

We likely have one of the few non-optioned GX470's around - the dealer had to trade for it.

Bought the GX based on our previous experience with Toyota. Had various Trucks, 4Runner (sold), I've owned a LC since '99 - 145k and nothing but normal maint - barring some seat belt issues. I've surely jinxed myself. Had a Explorer previous that I sold with 141k that had few issues as well - so maybe Im lucky or easy on vehicles.

Last edited:

cirquare

thanks everyone

I am new to here and offroad so my option are open for any car, but I would like get a car which is smooth on highway and also capable off road.

I test drive LR3 and gx470 yesterday, they feel very similar to me.a load 2009 gx470 cost around 48500 and 2009 LR3 HSE about 48000.so the inintail cost about same.
I got a feeling I may go for 2008 LR3 se (if I can find one) and save the money for new tire and repair .....

I will let you guys know which one I pick.

tacomadave

Adventurer
Personally I like the LR3 or is it called the LR4 now? Anyways, my father owns a 2007 LR3 and it has been solid, it gets driven almost daily on a poorly maintained gravel road commute and its incredibly comfortable....

If your in the market for a lexus GX you might want to wait the 2010 model is very different looking (looks more like the LX) from the current model and it should be out pretty soon....
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/291947-2010-landcruiser-prado.html

Grover

I agree with Alacrity, both vehicles are capable on or offroad. I bleed LR, previously owned DII, currently own 91 RR GDE and 65 Series IIA and a 2003 GX470. I have been very satisfied with the offroad capability of the GX equipped with BFG MT's. This vehicle has taken me anywhere I wanted to go including Imogene's Pass in Colorado, mud or snow. And a Lexus on top with all the rented Rubi's got a few looks.

I have had 2 problems since I have had it, 2 dead batteries (currently on the third), probably because it continues to adjust EVERYTHING after its shut off, steering wheel, headlights, mirrors etc. I turned it all off so I don't expect any additional battery issues. And I had the rear drive shaft replaced because of the dreaded clunk. All under the 70K warranty.

OK so my only complaints, VERY little direct aftermarket support. The vehicle shares platforms with the 4runner, a few FJ pieces and the Prado in other markets. Out of all these the Prado is the most off road capable and has pretty good accessory support BUT due to Lexus's adjustable suspension system and 4.7L gas motor option, ONLY available as options in the US make most of the Prado stuff not useful. ARB bumpers made for Prado or 4runner are not direct compatable due to the Lexus only front fender design and various manufacturers make compatable springs but require you to remove the electronic damping shocks and rear airbags, (this presents a few challenges and from what I have been told will likely yield a nice bright shiny light illuminated in the dash, maybe VSC, TCS or ABS light.

What is available, to the best of my knowledge, 4 runner skid plates, various manufacturer spacer lifts designed for the 4 runner (I purchased the Daystar 2.5" just saving to get it installed), the Slee offroad roof rack is awesome and is designed for the Prado (GX470) better than fitting it to the 4runner and 4 runner rock sliders. (I am sure there is more to this list but these items I have personally researched)

Final word, if I could do it again I would would get a LR3, better aftermarket support, available rear diff lock and forget the resale value I am losing. Well its a LR and I bleed LR green even though I have been cheating and driving a Lexus.

Erik

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
If you go with the GX, then get one with KDSS. I love my truck and it has taken me everywhere I have asked it too. It was not named 4X4 of the year two or three years straight because it is not capable. One of the mags did an article were they took a GX on the Rubicon and it did great. They did change a few things: Rear locker, slight lift, tires and body protection. They said that the locker was not needed. The service at Lexus is top notch. When I had 5000 miles on my GX, I told the service guy that I just did not like the ride of my Dunlaps. He took the truck to the back and came back with 4 brand new CrossTerrains. I am starting to play with the GX now. I am looking at a Baja rack, BFG's and sliders. Those few things would allow the GX to keep up with most trucks. This link talks about my last trip:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30412

I do not have much experience with the LR3.

TexGX

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
I would pick the Lexus over the LR3. Doesn't the Lexus have an optional rear locker also? I know it lack aftermarket but in these newer vehicles I would rather have something made by toyota.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
GX no question... Or actually, neither, Either wait for the 2010 4Runner or buy a 4th Gen 4Runner and use the money saved on the basic mods... Plus you can still get a V8 in the 4th Gen... THe 4th Gen 4 Runner with a few monor mods (or stock for that matter) will run circles around the LR3...Or 4 or whatever they call those things.

Whoever said the LR3 is a more capable rig is flat out wrong.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk