lexus GX470 vs land rover LR3,LR4

Alacrity

Wondering what the basis is for all the LR3-has-crappy-reliability comments? How many of you posting this information have first-hand knowledge?

Several years ago I did a little more digging into some of the customer appreciation ratings by various services. I found that many of the surveys were based more on likes/dislikes than actual mechanical/electrical breakdowns. The interior layout and methods of interacting with the vehicle are a bit different for a Land Rover when compared to other manufacturers, which was seemingly the basis for many of the negative ratings. I'm the reverse - being accustomed to LR ergonomics, I find other manufacturer's vehicles to be irritating since they aren't what I'm accustomed to! :coffeedrink:

In my experience of nearly 3 years of LR3 ownership, the vehicle has been as reliable as the Honda and Jeep I owned in years past, and seemingly more reliable than the Nissan Pathfinder my wife owned before her D2. But I'm just one data point, hence my question regarding the basis for the 'unreliable' comments.

What appreciation rating are you talking about? APEAL? Consumer Reports? Those have some serious psycho-metric issues. But they tend to effect all brands realtively equally - expectation and brand loyalty are the exceptions.

Mfg Qulity ratings, such as JDP VDS (IQS very much less so), SVTQA , etc are much more valuable. The real measure is resale value - if the market finds them to be desirable and reliable (people dont buy used cars with bad reps) price are better. Rovers depreciate more than any. Their quality issues are well known, self-acknowledged and have been so over time and differing measures and rating bodies.

Rover itself has noted they have had issue. They are improving, but not as fast as others - nor is it being noticed by the public. From Kammerer - DPD, Jag/Rover

The real evidence of Land Rover quality comes from warranty cost outlays, Kammerer said. While he would not disclose warranty cost per vehicle—that being a highly guarded secret at most automakers—Kammerer said costs are down by "well beyond 20 percent" since last year.

Article here: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20060810/free/60807017

If you are able to improve WC/V by 20% - you had a quality problem. Better - yes; bad now was pretty good a decade ago. As good as they should be as a top dollar prestige brand? Not even close.

uzj100

Adventurer
Supposedly the issue (reliability) was so bad they changed the name from Discovery to LR3 and now again to LR4. They will not admit that is why however that is what some are speculating.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Some intereseting discussion now, and I agree with SMD. The psycho-metric issues with CR do not affect all brands equally. People who buy CR read them and buy Toyotas, they thing they did their homework. Then CR sends them a survey about their Toyota, and subconsciously they are saying "I did my homework, I bought the most reliable car. It's been perfect except for... oh that was nothing, it is perfect."

Interesting that in the 2009 JDP VDS, JAGUAR is actually top of the heap! Now, who's talking about that little factoid? Nobody. Why? Because it doesn't fit in with people's preconcieved notions, so they dismiss it as being a mistake.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Has anyone seen the news about the big Toyota recall? I've always said, Toyota dealers have a parts and service department for a reason, just like all other dealers. Not that they don't build a good vehicle but they have been very successful in selling the image of quality just as Rover has been successful in selling the rugged back woods vehicle image.
This seems to be turning into the same debate that comes up over and over and it degenerates into opinion rather than facts.

SMD

Adventurer
Has anyone seen the news about the big Toyota recall? I've always said, Toyota dealers have a parts and service department for a reason, just like all other dealers. Not that they don't build a good vehicle but they have been very successful in selling the image of quality just as Rover has been successful in selling the rugged back woods vehicle image.
This seems to be turning into the same debate that comes up over and over and it degenerates into opinion rather than facts.

Exactly, which is why I was curious about the sources and noted that I'm only a single data point.

Alacrity provided a few resources to support his remarks. Excellent. I won't argue that LR has a perception issue. Such issues take time and owner experiences to change.

I don't remember the source (CR maybe?), but I seem to recall seeing that Toyota has dropped in the ratings. Does that mean that Toyotas are less reliable? Perhaps, perhaps not. All it really says is that amongst those persons willing/able to provide information, more people (as a percentage) perceived/reported dislikes with their Toy than did those persons who were willing/able to provided information about other manufacturers.

Do these reports contain some grain of truth in varying amounts? Probably, but the methodology and survey specifics always need to be taken into account.

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Some intereseting discussion now, and I agree with SMD. The psycho-metric issues with CR do not affect all brands equally. People who buy CR read them and buy Toyotas, they thing they did their homework. Then CR sends them a survey about their Toyota, and subconsciously they are saying "I did my homework, I bought the most reliable car. It's been perfect except for... oh that was nothing, it is perfect."

Interesting that in the 2009 JDP VDS, JAGUAR is actually top of the heap! Now, who's talking about that little factoid? Nobody. Why? Because it doesn't fit in with people's preconcieved notions, so they dismiss it as being a mistake.

Good point...Oh, and my LR3 has been to the dealer as many times as my Hondas but maybe a couple more times and just as many times as my previous Toyota...then again I put my LR3 through a much greater beating than the Hondas and Toyota...LR's are probably less forgiving to those who think maintenance is magic and done by itself however

ShottsCruisers

Explorer

The floor mats? Floor mats?

Yes, every vehicle manufacturer needs to recall their floor mats 100% and replace them with a non-removable one. This way the floor matt will be in it's correct place and secured unlike now where every time you leave the car wash it's not in it's place.

Folks should check their driver's floor mat BEFORE leaving the car wash to make sure it's secured on it's holder. Tragic crashes at 120MP wouldn't occur. Driver training would help too. Turn the key off and kill the motor = You live

Alacrity

huh, I thought I had some fact in here. I'll add a few more. ALL mfgs and processes in general have defects - including the quality ratings themselve.:coffeedrink:.

R_Lefebvre, you're not disagreeing with me, as I readily note (and the article I posted supports) some areas of ALL the quality measures are subjective - not merely CR. Then again, buyers are subjective. I also point out JLR has improved - a great deal from the last decade - but have not kept up with their competitors. Theres no doubt some mfgs benefit and others do not dependent on the specific methodologies. Doesn't render them useless - as long as you realize how these studies/surveys are useful, and how they are not.

The CR self fulfilling prophecy explation would make sense - if it were just CR. I'll stress again, over long periods of times, gauged by various methodologies and organizations, Land Rover is always in the bottom decile - quite often bringing up the rear. There have been both tacit and explicit, public (by Kammerer, Reitzle, etc) and internal admissions of systemic quality issues - as well as PR driven "explanations" of why they continue to fair poorly in various measures. In '96, '01 and '06 it was changes in platforms and owners. Unlike Mercedes - who fully acknowledged and overhauled - Rover has not. Most probably due to lack of resources and organizational turmoil from multiple sales. Regardless of causes and explanations, they have consistently remained at the bottom. Re: Quality - They suck- just less than they used to.

Quentin Wilson BBC Top Gear had the best explanation a number of years ago.-
Solihull has for far too long sat back and sat on its laurels. People just seem to shrug their shoulders about the quality problem.

Its culture. That's difficult to change - and I doubt Tata will succeed where Ford and BMW has failed.

Funny thing, the claim that Rover is unfairly penalized by bias/expectation/customer demographics in these quality marks doesnt make sense when the Range Rove received...

In the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout Study (APEAL), the Land Rover Range Rover was the highest ranking Large Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle, receiving an Overall Performance and Design Power Circle Rating of 5 out of 5.

APEAL measures buyers "happiness" - which is extremely subjective - an area where Rover does very well, despite the fact that in both IQS:rolleyes: and VDS:smilies27 they receive some of the lowest measures. Rovers continue to sell - which is a testament to the marque, period.

As far as Jag - they've done very well in one VDS - tho improving over time. Buicks been in the top decile for the last 15 years and they still get little credit. Jags there for 3 years running, I'm sold. At present, merely pleasantly optimistic. Not so much because I enjoy Jags (I dont) but I certainly love to see underdog comeback. Currently I'm pulling for Whitacre at GM and Marchionne at Fiat/Chrysler. Tata .... well, good luck Ratan, we'll see.

Bottom line - if you would have happily bought a Lexus 10 years ago, buy a LR4 today knowing its as good as Lexus was then. In that light, LR doesn't seem a bad bet - but I'd still hedge (a long and comprehensive warranty).

ETA - Does that mean Toyota is becoming less reliable - yep, to a small degree. But more important, everyone else is catching up.

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
My LR3 Experience

Three year ownership of a LR3 was less then what I would have expected or desired.

When the warrantee was up so was the car. Numerious error codes on the suspension, a half dozen visits to the dealer for repairs. Most (not all) of the problems seem to be electrical in nature.

We only put on about 23,000 miles on the vehicle. I have other off-road vehicles ( Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Tacoma, Ford Sportsmobile, and single and 2 seater ATV's) I own and was able to compare use and ability on the same stretch of trails.

1. The LR-3 weighs in at about 5,800 lbs, that's on the heavy side from my point of view. It needs all 300 hp from it's jag V-8 to make it up steep sandy climbs. Its traction control system is excellent on loose surfaces. In crawl mode it locks up all 4 wheels and is able to transverse more difficult loose rocks with a sense of ease.

2. Fuel economy is and around town and in slower off-road situations is single digits, highway if one stays in the slow lane may be in the mid teens range at best. It is supposed to also run on premium fuel.

3. The LR3 HSE comes with 19 inch rims and there are only a few tires made for this vehicle and no off-road more agressive ones.

4. The LR3 is an excellent towing vehicle and handles the additional weight without sacrificing street manners or ride.

5. Comfort is excellent in all seats and it can truly be said it is a 7 ADULT passanger vehicle.

6. Resale was less than 1/2 purchase price after 3 years.

7. If your into gagets and amenities, the LR3 HSE is full of them. Including voice controled navigation and other controls.

8. When looking into an extended warrantee with a private insurance company one can get an idea of the expected mechanical track record of a given vehicle by comparing the cost of a 100,000 mile 84 month extended warrantee. The Lexus is $635.00, They won't even write coverage for the Land Rover. :Wow1:

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Bhos

Adventurer
To the OP, get in both, and then think about what you'll want to carry in daily life and off roading. I think the layout of the LR3 is better than the GX for rear cargo and 3rd row seating.

I am looking at LR3s, the GX and the 2010 4Runner. The 05 LR3s and several 06s had a TON of problems, but talking with 07 and 08 owners, the problems have dropped dramatically.

Several people have states biases on here or have little knowledge of the platforms. I am learning and that's what you should do too. There are several land rover forums out there.

But let's face it, any of these rigs will get you to a slew of places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk