Liberty Expedition Rig

Bowzer5

I moved to the panhandle of Nebraska nine months ago. It didn't take long for me to realize a more well rounded rig is the way to go and my rock crawlers don't cut it in the cold. Not to mention the wind and hills out here whip their butt even with steep gears.

So I picked up a super cheap 2002 Liberty with the idea of having a budget expedition vehicle. This way I can spend days, nights or weekends in the black hills, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and anywhere else I can stand driving to.
335930_10100879843054384_1406547796_o.jpg

Today completes my sixth day of ownership. I can tell you that already I'm excited and can't wait to get this out on an adventure. Many upgrades already complete but much in the build is still left. As it sits now:
289995_10100883657480244_2023458277_o.jpg

I'll try and keep this updated with upgrades and trips as I go allong.

Hopefull upgrades:
Sleeping platform that extends out for added length (canvas top over tailgate portion that it extends from)
Fridge
Additional power (additional deep cycle battery with UV charger maybe?)
Tire carrier, tow points, and a good freshening up of wear items and fluids

Last edited:

Bowzer5

So last weekend I started with a 2" daystar budget boost, spidertrax wheel spacer adapters, and JK Rubicon Wheels and tires. Since it is a 2002 model a larger lift is difficult with this year being unique for the front suspension. I can tell you a 255X75R17 is Tight but it does clear with a little help from the saw/grinder. I cleaned up the pinch weld and clearanced the bumper and all is good!

288467_10100883033845014_69003536_o.jpg

Three and a half hours in the shop (three hours with a spring compressor for the front and twenty minutes for the rear/wheel spacers). It was nice installing a budget boost and forgot how simple some of these kits really are!!
562266_10100883293993674_367125425_n.jpg

Tonight I was able to remove all the badges, stickers, and finished with a claybar/wax job. Clean inside and out!!

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Pretty good start, but I will warn you the stock shocks and springs won't like that set up terribly long. You did however get a 2002 which was equipped with taller springs, a stronger transmission and seems to be less effected by the bean counters of the following years. When taking it off road try to keep front wheel spin to a minimum. Seen a few of those Dana 30As pop when a wheel suddenly gets traction, including my wife's. I'll have to find pics of my wife's rear seat delete and post them.

Last edited:

Bowzer5

Thanks for the advice!!

The rear seat delete is exactly what I'm looking into now. Was planning on getting it out of there this weekend and pics would be great!

phxtoad

Adventurer
Congrats! If a higher mileage rig, check your radiator often. They will eventually leak (I'm on my third). Expect to replace your upper A-arms too, since the ball joints are not replaceable. There are aftermarket choices that compensate for the lift. And given the ground clearance definitely get skids! Enjoy!

Todd

Harmgrissom

Observer
Right on man - I've been thinking about a Liberty as a gray-man commuting offroader. Certainly cool seeing someone else having this same idea. I'll keep my eyes on this one.

tommudd

Explorer
Too bad you've already installed that Daystar lift
something that is 10 years old its not going to last long on the old springs
and shocks

I did the rear seat delete at one time, and built a flat platform back there to sleep on, worked great

Oh and you can lift the KJ higher than 2 inches, mines at 4.25 inches with OME springs and some tricks, ride is 1000 times better than it was with 100 miles on it, its now at 172,000 . This is the second OME lift first one made it 100,000 miles and this one has over 50,000 .
Check out jeepinbyal for lift parts etc
also rocklizardfabrications for rock rails/roof rack etc
some inspiration for ya
Easter014.jpg

25096_10150151163940052_851890051_1.jpg

fall-Tanzania028-1.jpg

Last edited:

irish1371

Adventurer
awww those things are sooo cute, Do they get any bigger when they hit puberty ?(Just kidding ya, looks like fun)

iMTB

Adventurer
More pics? Not many people have gone the JK Moab route. I'd like to see pics from different angles please!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Actually those are TJ rims. The JKs use a 5x5 lug pattern where the KJ and TJ are both 5x4.5. TJ Moabs are quite popular amongst KJ owners.

Bowzer5

Thanks for the tips guys. I have checked out Jeeping by Al and a few other kits. Honestly I want to keep this project on a "budget" since my other projects are beyond financial advisement. I guess I'll wait for these springs to squat out and then put some new springs on. Are the fronts the culprit or do both front and rear go bad?

They're JK not TJ rims. It's a 17" wheel and TJ only used a 16. And you're correct they're 5x5 (I used a wheel spacer adapter). Plus this tire was only used for the JK wrangler.

Flushed the trans/new filter and I changed the diff fluid/t-case fluid so not much left in general maintenance. I got lucky and the radiator, it was replaced right before I purchased the vehicle so one less thing to worry about. I however think the front balljoint are original so I'll look into replacing that whole upper assembly now.

I started looking for a place for a dual battery setup. I think I'm going to delete the front airbox and do a makeshift filter (similar to what rusty has for sale). I know the rusty one is a good price but I dislike the shipping cost!!

I'll go snap some photos for you and post them up.

Last edited:

Bowzer5

photobucket was being lame so I'll just uploaded these for now.
IMAG0454.jpg
IMAG0474.jpg
IMAG0475.jpg
IMAG0476.jpg
IMAG0477.jpg
IMAG0478.jpg

The tires fit better than I thought they would. Rub on the front bumper but no problems on the rear portion as long as you fold the pinch weld. Even with the spacer adapters they don't stick out too far past the flare. Tire coverage won't be an issue with the local law!

Last edited:

Bowzer5

The JK tires and wheels are definitely the way to go. I picked up five almost new ones, with wheels, for $500 and I have another $200 in wheel spacer adapters. If I were to buy new tires alone, I would have $750 minimum into a set.

Not my first time using JK tires and wheels either. I built a WJ two years ago with JK tires wheels and a 2" lift:
lake-lift.jpg
Wish I would have kept this before moving west. . .would have worked well and would have had more room in the back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal