Like A Moth To The Flame- My New LR3

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Have a friend that had a set of Discovery I wheels that are not available in the US. He had imported 5 of these wheels from the UK. He didn't use them, and wanted the wolf wheels I had for a project for his son.
While these aren't exact matches to the 18" wheels and are not the same size tires as on the LR3, they are the closest 16" land rover wheels I have seen that are similar to the 18" LR3 wheels. So the trailer is getting new shoes:

IMG_1735_zpsb83e4e00.jpg

IMG_1736_zps5a9d8e6d.jpg

And here the LR3 Wheel:

IMG_5567_zps4ce2e8d0.jpg

achampagne

Explorer
Thanks Dendy!, That's where I have my roof lights switch mounted from the factory. I appreciate the effort. I think I will try and mount it in the rear of disco somewhere.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Tire cover from Ebay. Arrived in 2 days. Covering a BF Goodrich All Terrain 265/65 18
Thanks
Dendy

draaronr

Adventurer
So what's the new consensus, The IId tool for a lift? or the johnson rods? or both? I know control arms wear will increase with either, but would like to get a slightly larger tire than stock but be able to raise the truck for off road applications.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Aaron: Love the Truck! Perfect fit!
Doesn't even know the trailer is behind it!

I prefer the 265/65 18 BFG All Terrains. For me ... they are not too tall and not too small. As mentioned on the other thread about the EXPO LR4, even the tires I have at extreme angle have worn through the inner fender liners. I cannot imagine a larger diameter tire because this wear was when the tires were pitched at an angle. I do like the aesthetics of the way the 33 inch fills the tire well, but I see an even bigger challenge if it "pulls" a rock up in the wheel well, as there is NO room for that rock to go anywhere but become lodged.

D

PS: Will def. get the IId tool.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Do both Doc- gives the most options.
You bringing yours to Safari? I think I am, and I went very mild 33" Michelin A/T, but plan to run chains for mud/snow/ice off road. Keeps the DD attributes, aka nice quiet and smooth...

draaronr

Adventurer
Do both Doc- gives the most options.
You bringing yours to Safari? I think I am, and I went very mild 33" Michelin A/T, but plan to run chains for mud/snow/ice off road. Keeps the DD attributes, aka nice quiet and smooth...
i am going to go with the tires Dendy has I believe, Yes Uwharrie is the plan, then Utah in May so kinda working through the list, going to order a bunch of goodies from Justin this week. I have the rods but haven't installed, prefer as stock as possible.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Added rear lamp guards today. Decided to go with aftermarket verses the OEM LR ones. Those are aluminum and these are steel. The others are coated with something that LR declares as powder-coat, but it is actually a plasticote of some type and will crack after about a year and a half and start flaking off.
These are also less than a third the cost of the OEM. ($69.99 shipped)!!
After Rovertrader (Dale) gave these a thumbs up on his, I ordered some, and am really pleased with the quality.

IMG_5583_zps4d998bb4.jpg

IMG_5582_zpsc3ab5988.jpg

Close Up:
IMG_5584_zpsd1aa881a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal