Living Space Gas Cans

holeinthehand

Looking for some advice here. I'm going to be doing some off-road travel in Baja Mexico where, as you know, gas stations can be few and far between. I am looking for some extra gas cans that can be in the bed of my truck (where I will be sleeping). Anyone know of any gas cans that don't let out any fumes and can be stored in a living area?

outback97

Adventurer
I recently bought a 4GL Rotopax, filled it and kept it for a day in the back of my SUV. This was just temporary until I made a roof rack for it. I could smell no fumes at all, though the can definitely expanded and swelled as the interior heated up.

Rotopax are made in Utah, and so far I'm impressed with the product, although they're expensive.

This is not a recommendation to store fuel inside your sleeping area, just something I observed when I briefly transported some in mine. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in as well.

taco_tay

Adventurer
I'm giving the 5 gallon harbor freight jerry cans a test. Went wheeling last weekend not a drop spilled. Last night I twisted the cap and quite a bit of pressure had built up, which means it had no air leaks. For $40 I'm kinda impressed.

holeinthehand

I'm giving the 5 gallon harbor freight jerry cans a test. Went wheeling last weekend not a drop spilled. Last night I twisted the cap and quite a bit of pressure had built up, which means it had no air leaks. For $40 I'm kinda impressed.

I initially had Harbor Frieght Jerry Cans but I returned them yesterday. I didn't like the tops, thought they'd release a lot of fumes and/or spill. Lost my receipt too so now I have store credit :/

holeinthehand

I recently bought a 4GL Rotopax, filled it and kept it for a day in the back of my SUV. This was just temporary until I made a roof rack for it. I could smell no fumes at all, though the can definitely expanded and swelled as the interior heated up.

Rotopax are made in Utah, and so far I'm impressed with the product, although they're expensive.

This is not a recommendation to store fuel inside your sleeping area, just something I observed when I briefly transported some in mine. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in as well.

Yeah, I initially wanted Rotopax but ended up shying away because of price. I think I'll look into them again, I just need to find a good place to mount them without dropping a lot of money on an aftermarket bumper/tire swing. My roof space is being taken up with surfboards and a kayak so I'm kind of at a loss for where to put the Rotopax.

amo292

Adventurer
I'm also interested to see what options come up. I'm in the same boat with my tundra. I'm not trying to throw a bunch of cans on my bumper or roof where they seem really vulnerable to accidents and theft.

jklewer

+1 for jerry cans. I've had one in the back of my rig for months, never a fume. Wheeled hard all last weekend, even managing to levitate the can out of its straps and have it clatter freely in the back (twice) with no issues or fumes.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
20131228_141559-1.jpgPC231140.jpgPA267738.jpgimage.jpgRotopax all the way.... you can mount them just about anywhere. the mounts are lockable. I drove the entire El Camino del Diablo with 2 of them mounted right behind my seats in my Jeep (back when I still owned it) and not a whiff of fumes or a drop leaked. If pressure builds up just remove it and crack the cap as needed. Mildly expensive but you get what you pay for IMHO. I use them currently on my Land Cruiser, too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven