LJ De-build.

mrpotatohead

Observer
qe3uduqa.jpg

After much time wasted at work browsing forum after forum I decided on Rancho 9000XL's over the Bilstein 5100's. They're not as pretty but I had read from several people complaining about the 5100's being almost too stiff and the adjustability of the Ranchos sold me. i got a killer deal on them from 4WP. Original prices for the bilsteins were $89. Original price for the 9000's were $110 each. 4wp had them both on sale and a full set of ranchos was something like $16 more than the 5100's. They were $350 after taxes.

Edit: the old shocks are Doetsch DT3000. I got the fronts replaced no problem but the rears are going to have to soak in some pb blaster for while. Road salt sucks :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Eager to hear about your experience with the Ranchos. I did the Bilsteins on mine and am fairly satisfied, but wonder about the adjustability you have chosen. Would like to know what you set them at and if you ever change them.

Nice work on your jeep.

John

mrpotatohead

Observer
So even with just the fronts on it's an absolute night and day difference. I have them set at 5 with a bumper and winch and they soak up all the bumps in the road, 6 was nice and firm and seemed to handle body roll well but I'm loving the cushiness of 5. We live on the outskirts of town and the county road leading to my neighborhood just plain sucks but it's the closest thing I have to a trail while the canyon is shut down. No more bone jarring hits though. I gave the rears one more good bath and will tackle them tomorrow, there's one particular rut in my road that gives the rear end a jolt I'll hit with the new ones on for a good test.

This might actually change the ladys mind about wanting me to sell it.

Last edited:

mrpotatohead

Observer
Welp, broke the rear upper shock bolts. I've only got a couple hours of daylight left, I've been out all day shopping for a baby shower I'm not going to, time to run to the hardware store. Maybe I'll get a good amount of time to work on it tomorrow.

Edit: i didn't want to drive the Porsche and wifey was in a mood and refused to let me take her car so I went to the store with one bolt holding the bar pin in when suddenly
zudezube.jpg

Last edited:

mrpotatohead

Observer
Well, they're in. I'm not proud of the number cut off discs I shattered or drill bits broken but they're in. I went onto other forums and guys had just removed the body mounts and jacked up the rear of the body but I didn't have that equipment so I did it the old fashioned way. Which was probably way harder. Set the rears at 6-7 ish. (I mounted the body with the knob inward... Kinda hard to see) and my butt thanks me.o
na8apume.jpg
zy2a9ege.jpg

mrpotatohead

Observer
Between now and late march when I buy tires and brakes here is my daily carry on. I'm a minimalist by nature so when I'm not camping I don't carry much more. I seriously recommend carrying at least all of this. I've used everything at one time or another from witnessing several crashes to pulling my moms car out of a creek.

Left to right
First aid kit, collapsible shovel, green pack (Vietnam era used by my dad) carries jumper cables, tie downs, basic tools like vise grips, channel locks etc. SOG hatchet has come in handy more than I imagine. Ammo can has a tow strap, D-rings, hook for winch, winch controller and other misc recovery stuff. Fire extinguisher strapped to the roll bar up front as well
yjasena4.jpg

sgregg108

Adventurer
I tried searching for him on eBay but I couldn't find him. Do you know if he makes JK stuff?
Oh man the long arms are trash. They wouldn't work on any other application. The uppers were fabbed at a goofy angle to run from the OEM lower mounts on the frame to the oem upper mounts on the axle. I'm keeping one for a breaker bar and waiting on a co worker to pick up the rest to use in his own project.

I replaced them with home built adjustable short arms built by a guy here in Lehi,Ut. He runs an EBAY store called Core4x4. They were dirt cheap for a full set of 8 and they're beefy. I got alot of **** for not running Currie, MC, or even putting johnny joints in the arms but they do what I need them to do and I may throw jj's in them down the road. What all do you have laying around?
huzama9u.jpg

mrpotatohead

Observer
I know his brother has a JK and he had mentioned starting building JK stuff last summer. When I get home I can look up his number. HOWEVER I've
discovered that the bushings don't like to be abused much and the paint didn't stand up very well to road salt. I'm looking into throwing metal cloak or currie arms in in once we're free of the house

sgregg108

Adventurer
Good info, I was already planning on Metalcloak's intro setup, if you're having those kinds of issues might as well just stay w/what I already had planned, thanks
I know his brother has a JK and he had mentioned starting building JK stuff last summer. When I get home I can look up his number. HOWEVER I've
discovered that the bushings don't like to be abused much and the paint didn't stand up very well to road salt. I'm looking into throwing metal cloak or currie arms in in once we're free of the house

mrpotatohead

Observer
So I'm picking up some fairly new MTR's on Monday. Getting all 5 for a really good price. Getting rid of the hard top for a soft top and moab wheels this week as well. With all of that said, we're taking a trip to California to see some family soon and will be dipping down into Mexicali for a few days to visit the in laws... We're on the fence of renting a car or taking my LJ. I'm really really nervous about taking the Jeep down there with so many detachable parts. Especially since her father lost his entire A/V setup in his truck in a matter of minutes... :x

Last edited:

HavenInTheHills

Power Wheels Pilot
So I'm picking up some fairly new MTR's on Monday. Getting all 5 for a really good price. Getting rid of the hard top for a soft top and moab wheels this week as well. With all of that said, we're taking a trip to California to see some family soon and will be dipping down into Mexicali for a few days to visit the in laws... We're on the fence of renting a car or taking my LJ. I'm really really nervous about taking the Jeep down there with so many detachable parts. Especially since her father lost his entire A/V setup in his truck in a matter of minutes... :x

I've debated taking my TJ the last couple of trips to Baja and decided against it for the same reason. I took my F250 instead last time and after eating lunch at some tiny taco hut in Gonzaga Bay, I came back to a few items missing..

mrpotatohead

Observer
I've debated taking my TJ the last couple of trips to Baja and decided against it for the same reason. I took my F250 instead last time and after eating lunch at some tiny taco hut in Gonzaga Bay, I came back to a few items missing..

I know, ultimately decided we'll be taking my jeep. Leaving it at her cousins north of the border and renting a car to go to mexicali. I'm still uneasy about it.anyhoo here's the new cleats. Hopefully I can get the Moab wheels here and mounted before the trip!
asu3ezyv.jpg

mrpotatohead

Observer
4" springs finally went on today. I'm kicking myself for not realizing the rear axle was too far back after i had already left the shop. Now that I'm back home with limited equipment I'm fixing to do something really dumb with my winch to remedy the situation. The lower height rides ALOT nicer. I'm actually going to have to crank the rear shocks up a little bit. Driveline vibes are gone and it cruises butter smooth at 75mph.
y4enudeq.jpg
ryhyradu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333