LJ/TJ setup for towing?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
computeruser said:
Pic_1.jpg

Zombie TJ from Beyond the Grave!!!!

What can stop it's uncontrolled and unstoppable hunger for the mangled and chippered flesh of Toyotas!!!!

Sorry computeruser, I couldn't resist any longer.:shakin:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Lawrence

Adventurer
Haggis said:
Like I said I'm leaning towards the Highrock bumber; Class three hitch, decent price and no modifications necessary. Eventually the plan is to get a M101 or the like for weekend jaunts. There have been times that my truck has been MIA and I've needed to tow and if I just has the LJ ready it would have saved me some time and money.
It will be fine for towing a M101. Just make sure to get some frame tie-ins as it appears that it doesn't come with any. Rock Hard sells some for $40, but I am sure other vendors have them as well.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
Haggis said:
Zombie TJ from Beyond the Grave!!!!

What can stop it's uncontrolled and unstoppable hunger for the mangled and chippered flesh of Toyotas!!!!

Sorry computeruser, I couldn't resist any longer.:shakin:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

HAHAHAHA

Lawrence

Adventurer
robert j. yates said:
2 things....a shortened drawbar due to a short receiver tube tends to move around in the tube and that is in fact what I am dealing with. The trailer has nothing to do with it as I can move the drawbar by hand in the receiver without anything attached to it. The trailer only magnifies that issue.

The vast majority of drawbars move around in the receiver, whether shortened or not, it's not just a function of yours. I have 3 different sets of drawbars and 2 of them wiggle on my Body Armor bumper, my Hanson bumper, my factory FJ hitch, and my factory Tacoma hitch. There is no way around it since all manufacturers use the same size tubing. The only “modification” I performed on these 2 was to stick velcro on the drawbar in order to eliminate clunking noises every time I go over a pothole. The one exception is my military style pintle hook drawbar because it doesn't have rounded corners, it is perfectly square and it is a very tight fit. If you were to put an off the shelf drawbar in your Suburban receiver, I'd bet it would move around as well. ;)

robert j. yates said:
As for the Currie being up to the task...I am quite positive that the reinforcing that I did to mine make it a viable option for towing but if someone needed a towing bumper, then this one makes no sense to buy new as it needs to be modifed before being used....that is if Currie is unwilling to do it or else unwilling to do it for a reasonable sum of money.
I am sure that you are addressing your issues accordingly, and that comment wasn't direct at you. As I stated before, John Currie was more than willing to reinforce the bumper and add safety chains provisions, had I chosen to go for theirs.

Last edited:
Lawrence said:
If you were to put an off the shelf drawbar in your Suburban receiver, I'd bet it would move around as well. ;)

You would lose that bet Lawrence...the Alumistinger drawbar fits much tighter than any steel but I do understand your point. I guess my issue with the short receiver is that the clunking is amplified. I expect to move to an Alumistinger for my trailer once I have everything dialed in the way I want. Until then...I am going to keep using the steel bar along with my $65 in my pocket so I only spend it once.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
IMHO I would never use a reciever hitch on a Jeep, They hang way too low. The bumper with reciever built in is the only way to go. The only reason they don't give it a tow rating is they are trying avoid the liability of it. Most bumpers are built to pull as much or more than a hitch. Pay attention to what they are built of and how they mount. HANSON fabs stuff like I do Overkill lol. Look at 4wd.com they offer most of all the differnt types. I'd get one with a built in tire carrier too. (If you have the cash, that is.) It will take the stress off the tailgate.

Lawrence

Adventurer
robert j. yates said:
You would lose that bet Lawrence...the Alumistinger drawbar fits much tighter than any steel but I do understand your point. I guess my issue with the short receiver is that the clunking is amplified. I expect to move to an Alumistinger for my trailer once I have everything dialed in the way I want.
Not sure I would Robert. The drawbar rattling seems to be an issue others are also experiencing. Funny thing is a new thread came up about it http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12191. Check out the links Sergey and Mike posted, maybe it would help eliminating the movement.

highlandercj-7 said:
I'd get one with a built in tire carrier too. (If you have the cash, that is.) It will take the stress off the tailgate.
The problem with those is that they are excessively heavy. I was really happy to get rid of mine and going with just a bumper. The key is setting your spare correctly and having it rest on the bumper, so that there is no stress on the tailgate.

Last edited:

Steve Curren

Explorer
I am in agreement with Highlander, even if the swing along with the bumper is heavy it offers protection from a rear end collision as well as taking stress off the tailgate. Another good thing is that the receiver is a bit lower than the bumper and it acts as a skid, I have really "used" mine. Once again a plug for the one that's the 4WD brand.
Good luck and happy Jeeping.

nemesistic

Steve Curren said:
I am in agreement with Highlander, even if the swing along with the bumper is heavy it offers protection from a rear end collision as well as taking stress off the tailgate. Another good thing is that the receiver is a bit lower than the bumper and it acts as a skid, I have really "used" mine. Once again a plug for the one that's the 4WD brand.
Good luck and happy Jeeping.

How would a swing out tire carrier offer any more protection that the tub and tailgate already do? They may be many justifiable reasons to run a swing out, but I've never heard of them beeing crashproof. What is that about?

Steve Curren

Explorer
Well, the swing out tire carrier does and did block most of the blow from a vehicle that crashed into my rear. If the vehicle had hit me with the stock tire carrier and bumper it would have pushed the tailgate in and done far more damage than was done. I also never said anything about crash proof and I never would. It also takes the stress off the tailgate for those who have a bit larger tires that weigh more than stock.

Lawrence

Adventurer
Steve Curren said:
Well, the swing out tire carrier does and did block most of the blow from a vehicle that crashed into my rear. If the vehicle had hit me with the stock tire carrier and bumper it would have pushed the tailgate in and done far more damage than was done.
Using the stock bumper as a basis is not a fair comparison. I have one laying in my garage and this thing is so flimsy that a hit from a kid on a bicycle with training wheels could seriously bend it. It is pathetic. A good aftermarket bumper without a carrier would have stopped the hit in the same fashion as your carrier did.

Steve Curren said:
It also takes the stress off the tailgate for those who have a bit larger tires that weigh more than stock.
The problem most people run into is that they have an aftermarket wheel with a different backspacing than stock. This doesn't allow the tire to rest on the bumper, and coupled with a big tire, it indeed can put stress on the tailgate. However, if you modify the stock carrier a bit to allow your tire to rest on the bumper, you shouldn't have any problems and your back end is much lighter than running a carrier. I know a few people that have been running 35s on their tailgates that way for years and they don't experience any sagging or stress. It is just a matter of preference.

Steve Curren

Explorer
In my situation the stock or aftermarket bumper alone would have done nothing to protect the vehicle. The hit was on the tire and the swing took almost all of the impact. As for an oversized tire resting on the bumper, I imagine it would work but I can't see resting a tire on the bumper. I bet lots of people have different ways of setting up tires, bumpers and the likes, I was just trying to answer the man's question about the swing making it crash proof and as I said it's not but in my case it offered good protection.

nemesistic

Steve Curren said:
In my situation the stock or aftermarket bumper alone would have done nothing to protect the vehicle. The hit was on the tire and the swing took almost all of the impact. As for an oversized tire resting on the bumper, I imagine it would work but I can't see resting a tire on the bumper. I bet lots of people have different ways of setting up tires, bumpers and the likes, I was just trying to answer the man's question about the swing making it crash proof and as I said it's not but in my case it offered good protection.

What was the approximate cost to replace the swing out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design