Locker / Gear setup...

For me if it is a DD, than selectable is the only way to go. There is not a lot worse sound than listening to your tires scrub off in every parking lot you go into. The nice urf...urf...urf sound as good tires are wasted on pavement, that and icey roads with a automatic locker is not my idea of fun.

x2

4.56 gears with 33'' tires. As for locker.... I DEFINITELY notice it in the rear.

If I had the cash, I'd do selectable rear and auto front.

.02c

x2

I have an open front since I can't afford a selectable locker and I really don't like the Auto locker in the rear. I also have 4.56's on 33's and the power is good around town and just a little weak when towing the pop-up over the big passes here in Colorado. If I didn't have to deal with big passes, power would never be an issue for me.

In a perfect world, I'd have dual non-clutch type LSD's or selectable lockers front & rear.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
A picture from yesterday... 03-09-2010

IMG_1569.CR2.jpg

That winch just paid for itself because you didn't have to call one of these to come and pull you out.:wings:

mrchips

Adventurer
Aussie locker or Lockrite are called lunchbox lockers, or limited slips and they do not have the strength of a true locker, being Detroit or ARB, ECTED( electric locker) that being said, selectable lockers are more expensive, but having the ability to apply it on demand as needed, making your rig more drivable on and off the trail allot easier. Spend the money once and do it right, that way you will be happy with result.
As for gears, I tow a AT Chaser with 33's and went to 4.88 gears on my LJ and my gas mileage and power both increased.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Aussie locker or Lockrite are called lunchbox lockers, or limited slips and they do not have the strength of a true locker, ...

I'm not sure if you meant to write it the way it came out but a lunch box locker is not a limited slip. It is a true locker.

Examples of limited slip differentials: TruTrac (Torsen), Powr-Lok (clutch pack), Posi-Lock (clutch), Quaife (torsen), etc.

mrchips

Adventurer
A lunchbox locker is installed in place of the spider gears, and you use the same carrier, and ring gear, no changing of the ring & pinion tooth pattern ,,, yes it is a locker but it does not have the strength like a true locker.

A true locker assy comes complete with a hardened carrier assembly plus the locking mechanism installed as a unit, so there is a huge difference, as you need to switch the ring gear to the new carrier, and re-setup of your contact pattern on the ring and pinion, and change the bearings.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I think we are having a diction problem. For someone else reading this thread...

The action of the device is what defines it as a locker, not the nature of how the device is constructed.

A lunch box locker is a true locker. There is no variability of speed from side to side when in action. There is no limited slip action.

A full case locker is well, a true locker as well (of course).

Nikson

Explorer
I'm running 33 inch tires with 4:56 gears and if I could do it over I would have went with the 4:88s. Especially if you are pulling a trailer all the time.

The guys I know running 4:88s and 33s are actually getting better mileage. The 4.0L makes more power and is more efficient under a load at higher RPM.

Definitely something to consider... torque is a plus...
and I dont plan to drive it 100 mph... :)

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
FWIW - with 33's and 4.56 gears, you also need to change your speedo gear! I got the one AdvanceAdapters recommended, but I'm indicating 5mph faster than actual speed...so that's another expense.

Before speedo gear - indicated 90mph on freeway when going about 60-65

Nikson

Explorer
I think we are having a diction problem. For someone else reading this thread...

The action of the device is what defines it as a locker, not the nature of how the device is constructed.

A lunch box locker is a true locker. There is no variability of speed from side to side when in action. There is no limited slip action.

A full case locker is well, a true locker as well (of course).

A lot of times it is a bit confusing, so reading up on what/why/when...

Nikson

Explorer
Aussie locker or Lockrite are called lunchbox lockers, or limited slips and they do not have the strength of a true locker, being Detroit or ARB, ECTED( electric locker) that being said, selectable lockers are more expensive, but having the ability to apply it on demand as needed, making your rig more drivable on and off the trail allot easier. Spend the money once and do it right, that way you will be happy with result.
As for gears, I tow a AT Chaser with 33's and went to 4.88 gears on my LJ and my gas mileage and power both increased.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Is your AUTO or MANUAL Transmission? I heard that makes difference...

Nikson

Explorer
For reference; with 4.56's & 33's, at 75mph, I'm turning about 2800 rpm's. As I recall, stock was more like 2400 rpm. YMMV

I am guessing you have an AUTO...
so with 4.88s I would be even higher on RPMs... :)

I have to say that currently running 3.55 ration in my axles, I am pulling a trailer (2 snowmobiles) at about 2000lbs total weight, without any MAJOR issues... yeah, my fuel efficiency is out with the exhaust pipe, but 4.56 gears will probably be quiet an improvement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk