Lone Peak Overland

1titanfan

I was thinking about doing the same thing but way more important things to do once I get my camper. I wanted to go to overland expo in flagstaff in May but with the production schedule that looks sort of a tight time frame.

V1GiLaNtE

Oh yea, that looks great. I think it helps make the camper a bit more "cozy" and less utilitarian. I'm hoping adding carpet to the ceiling will help with condensation. Even with the fan running it still builds up. The handful of times haven't used the fan my sleeping bag/sheets have been very wet from condensation drips.

I've debated doing the side panels to be able to throw my patch collection on.

EDIT: I may also do the underside of the bed.

BudLoomis

Oh yea, that looks great. I think it helps make the camper a bit more "cozy" and less utilitarian. I'm hoping adding carpet to the ceiling will help with condensation. Even with the fan running it still builds up. The handful of times haven't used the fan my sleeping bag/sheets have been very wet from condensation drips.

I've debated doing the side panels to be able to throw my patch collection on.

EDIT: I may also do the underside of the bed.
I agree, the look is definitely a nice bonus. I noticed a huge difference in condensation before and after adding the carpet. We slept in Moab, 20-30Ā°s and raining, we ran our diesel heater with interior temps at 60Ā°. No condensation with the carpet installed.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I also have the roof vent on my build. I was planning on doing the low bars and then mounting solar panels on them. Probably with a drop bracket so that the panels are flush with the top of the load bars.

Would that work? Is there enough room at the front of the camper To fit panels?

Thanks

I just got around to measuring the panel and roof today. Will try to get it mounted up this weekend. Iā€™ve got a 200W panel that is 54ā€ long and 30.5ā€ wide. The roof with fan at the back leaves well more than enough room for 2 x 200W panels. I could almost fit a 3rd panel.

1titanfan

What brand of panels did you get? Are you going to mount them on the roof directly or on a rack? after checking with Kecia about the measurements I ended up buying 3-100 watt flexible panels that Iā€™m going to mount to clear 5/16ā€ thick polycarbonate panels to allow air flow underneath to keep them cooler. If I ever have an issue with the panels I can very easily replace them.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Theyā€™ll be mounted directly to the roof. I went with the AllPowers 200W flexible panel. Iā€™m going to order a second now that I know I have enough room to fit 2.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Be aware, I pretty much hear nothing but bad about people at adhering flexible solar panels directly to the roof. It seems that they need airflow underneath them to function properly and last.
Guess I need to figure something out. Whatā€™s the recommended mounting solution?

Dave in AZ

Guess I need to figure something out. Whatā€™s the recommended mounting solution?
I have seen folks mount them on an aluminum sheet, but then report they cracked because the aluminum expansion in the heat. This is at DIYsolarForum.com

I'd like to use them too for weight, but all reports I see are 1 to 2 years then delamination or cracking, too expensive to replace constantly. Putting on that corrugated platic that signs are made from, plasticor, then putting an aluminum frame around it to stiffen just ends up being a suuuper expensive rigid panel that us less efficient.

1titanfan

Check my earlier post. I got the idea from a YouTube video that was posted and then he did a one year follow up with detailed videoā€™s and it looked rock solid with no signs of separation or panel issues. I got mine on Amazon and I plan on putting mine across the roof instead of parallel to the roof line. Iā€™m going to use VHB tape to mount the polycarbonate to the roof, you canā€™t do a solid line of tape on the perimeter because you need an area where any water could escape and that heat can escape so the panel wonā€™t swell. I got some 1/4ā€ bolts with a head about the size and shape of a penny and I will epoxy those to the top of the polycarbonate panels. There are continuous clips that can connect the panels to offer more strength by tying them together. Then I will use the 6 holes in the panels to secure them. I would show pics but I donā€™t have my camper yet. By using replaceable attachments I will be able to easily replace a panel if I have to. The only extra weight is the polycarbonate panels and they are lighter than the solar panels. My polycarbonate panels are 5/16ā€ or 8mm, I donā€™t think 1/4ā€ would be enough air flow.

Dave in AZ

Check my earlier post. I got the idea from a YouTube video that was posted and then he did a one year follow up with detailed videoā€™s and it looked rock solid with no signs of separation or panel issues. I got mine on Amazon and I plan on putting mine across the roof instead of parallel to the roof line. Iā€™m going to use VHB tape to mount the polycarbonate to the roof, you canā€™t do a solid line of tape on the perimeter because you need an area where any water could escape and that heat can escape so the panel wonā€™t swell. I got some 1/4ā€ bolts with a head about the size and shape of a penny and I will epoxy those to the top of the polycarbonate panels. There are continuous clips that can connect the panels to offer more strength by tying them together. Then I will use the 6 holes in the panels to secure them. I would show pics but I donā€™t have my camper yet. By using replaceable attachments I will be able to easily replace a panel if I have to. The only extra weight is the polycarbonate panels and they are lighter than the solar panels. My polycarbonate panels are 5/16ā€ or 8mm, I donā€™t think 1/4ā€ would be enough air flow.
Can you tell what type of polycarbonate panels, where you get them?
Also, I'm confused, does air go UNDER the polycarbonate panel, between it and the roof? Or between the solar panel and the polycarbonate, so they can flap all around? What exactly are you doing to keep the solar panels from flapping or vibrating in the wind? I can't pucture your solution from your description, thx!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl