Long distance off-road capable moto hauler…

neduro

Well, that escalated quickly!

i-VhD44gh-X4.jpg

After a bunch of research, I decided to build my own flatbed. All the commercial bed options I looked at raise the bed by a minimum of 5” above the frame, and some as much as 7”. Since the interior dimension of my box is fixed at 52” to fit a bike, a taller bed translates to more height, more restrictions at places like airports, and presumably, worse fuel economy. So off I go on a project, and it started with a buying spree.

The first step was a trip to the steel shop, where I bought a load of stuff I thought might come in useful for the project.

i-nwBs5QL-X4.jpg

i-FpSvzZW-X4.jpg

Amazon sent a ton of stuff as well (nice of them)- goal was to have everything here before I need it, so I got L-track and bedliner and interior lighting and other odds and ends on their way.

I haven’t decided if I will put a box under the bed, behind the rear wheel. I’ll get into the project and decide whether the space looks useful. In front of the wheel it looks like it would be too shallow to be worth the trouble.

My idea for the outer structure was to use a piece of pipe cut lengthwise into quarters, so that I can lap all my sheet material underneath and minimize outside edges (as well as looking nice). To that end, I bought a piece of 8” pipe and set to work with the plasma cutter:

i-R26K2FL-X4.jpg

i-gp4hxVW-X4.jpg

But after quartering it, the resulting quarter round just isn’t as rigid as I want. So, I think I will build an interior structure and skin it, which might be simpler. I’ve been debating if I want the box to taper toward the top, but that makes fab more complicated and the widest part of a motorcycle is also the highest part (handlebars), so I am inclined to make it square.

The doors will have a piano hinge welded to the steel structure at the top, and to the steel structure behind the door. I debated going with a beefier hinge but don’t think (hope?) it is necessary for the application. I’ll put a gas shock on both sides to support the doors in the up position. If that doesn’t work well, I can always replace them with some sort of mechanical approach.

The doors will latch down with two paddles latches each. The side doors will each have interior latches that, when closed, mean the doors can’t be opened from the outside. I’m picturing a two levers that engage the steel door frame, one at the front of the door and one at the rear, which can be left open when security is not an issue and locked when it might be. You’d have to be inside the box to lock or unlock them.

However, I want the rear door to use the stock locking mechanism.

i-xVQCBbr-X4.jpg

This way, when I walk away from the truck, I can lock it with a push of the button. That’s going to take some figuring, but it seems possible to accomplish, and like it would make me happy every single time. Along these lines, another item I want to relocate are the Parksense sensors. The flatbed shops I’ve talked to claim it is a pain, but I don’t know if they just aren’t used to it, or they require some sort of calibration? I’m hoping to reuse the door and structure for DEF and Fuel. That will take a little fab but looks doable.

Last night I thought I’d pull the bumper as a starting point, but that went well and pretty soon the bed was off too.

i-kFPLDgt-X4.jpg

I’m a bit terrified by how much I’m biting off here. This feels like the kind of project that could creep into weeks of work (and no truck to use!), but I’m not impressed enough with anything I’ve seen commercially available to go that route. My operational philosophy is “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”.

Continuing with the banal nautical themed platitudes, I am taking the Cortez approach: when he reached the new world, he burned his ships, so his men would be motivated. In my case, with the bed off, I can’t drive the truck, so it is time to get to work!

Kingsize24

Hell yea! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Are you thinking custom springs in the rear once you get it all built and have full weight on the vehicle?

neduro

Hell yea! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Are you thinking custom springs in the rear once you get it all built and have full weight on the vehicle?

We'll see.

I weighed the truck before disassembly (8100 lbs with ~400 lbs of people and ~75 lbs of tools), I'll weigh it after I finish and see how different it is. I am not convinced I will add all that much net weight, I'm not building the flatbed as heavy as some of the commercial ones since my use isn't that HD. If I'm within a few hundred pounds, I can't imagine I need to respring given the capabilities of the truck.

Last edited:

Kingsize24

Good deal, and possibly not. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

We'll see.

I weighed the truck before disassembly (8100 lbs with ~400 lbs of people and ~75 lbs of tools), I'll weigh it after I finish and see how different it is. I am not convinced I will add all that much net weight, I'm not building the flatbed as heavy as some of the commercial ones since my use isn't that HD. If I'm within a few hundred pounds, I can't imagine I need to respring given the capabilities of the truck.

GoinBoardin

Observer
For what its worth, I built my flatbed out of 14ga 1.5 square tube with 14ga sheet deck. Came out to 440lbs for 90"x90". Pretty light for steel, had a few people claim it wouldn't last 6 months. I've had a ton on it several times, regularly haul 1200 lbs. Pushed it into trees on tight trails, and hauled a lot of firewood. Going on 4 years now, no issues except frame flex starting to tear the front two mounts. I'm about to pull it to build a pivot mount for that issue, but otherwise no regrets.

neduro

Well, it's been a busy few days.

I had a couple of friends coming through town camping, which turned out well since the first job was figuring out the plane of the bed and how we might be able to fit with that.

i-vgxKxW2-X4.jpg

Calculations were made for how high the wheel arches need to be, what was the lowest level that would clear the 5th wheel frame, and so on. Huge help to have buddies to cipher that out with (and hold the other end of a chalk line).

I want the bed to come on and off like stock, so I welded nuts into the 6 stock locations:

i-ftFCCcj-X4.jpg

Took some work to get the wheel arches to fit somewhat consistently. Compared to everything else, they are like noodles, so every time you try to square to them, they are different. Especially after we decided to open them up a little.

i-b5bJDkf-X4.jpg

Starting to look like a bed:

i-ZzpCXP4-X4.jpg

(never mind my buddies sense of humor)

I suck at sheet metal work, but I wanted to close off the inside of the wheel arches and leave plenty of room for articulation, even with 35" tires.

Screwing around with these took the better part of an afternoon:

i-cGddKvW-X4.jpg

i-j4Q2vnt-X4.jpg

I'm almost done with everything I need to do before I cut and fit the deck. I had wrist surgery a few weeks ago, and I'm trying hard not to overdo it, so tempting to just dig in with both hands but I need to be patient. Obviously, nothing in the bed required lifting more than 10 lbs, I think we can all agree? ;)

I was describing my vision to a friend, and he ran across this project, which I found inspiring:

i-WsLkzJB-XL.jpg

Some key differences (rear open, height of bed, etc) but some similarities too.

Next up will be laying the bed and then figuring out what my vertical structure will look like. Oh yeah, and mounting license plates and lights.

I haven't managed to find the pigtails that connect the main wiring harness with the bulbs in the taillights yet- Dodge says you have to buy the whole taillight, and a bunch of internet searching hasn't rewarded me yet. I'd rather not cut up anything stock- any leads on this?

HayStax

Hey I just ran across this thread, big fan of your work over on ADVRider and your success at Dakar! Congrats on another ambitious project, it looks like you are off to a great start.

I am lusting after a Aussie style flatbed and canopy for a Ford Raptor, like you I am not very happy with available offerings and the imports are stupid expensive and not very well fitted.

As a lifelong farmer and full-size diesel truck and flatbed owner I’m a little concerned about the rub rail and fender joint on your flatbed, looks like a lot of weight hanging out in thin air. Are you going to address this with under side boxes where you could triangulate the transition somewhat? The diagonals up front should help. Washboard roads are very unforgiving! Vertical butt welds tend to crack and lead to failure on some of our trucks and equipment. I see you are fairly far along but I might suggest some gussets at the butt welds on your crossmembers, I’d hate to see a crack propagate at any of those welds. I do commend you on trying to keep the frame low, that’s not a priority for commercial vendors

What are the dimensions of your canopy? Steel or aluminum? I’m trying to make the jump to an all aluminum flatbed and canopy structure but have very little experience working with aluminum compared to steel. The Outback Customs stuff has been a big inspiration for me. Maybe I should just jump in over my head as well!

I’m sure you can talk to any commercial truck service body builder and they can help out with wiring suggestions, I’m a Ford guy so I can’t comment on newer Ram wiring.

neduro

I've been meaning to do an update on this thread, but keep getting distracted by fabricating instead of posting.

@HayStax Great comments, and your experience is much appreciated. I've added some more structure since the shots that I posted, but I share your fear of repeated minor trauma (aka washboard). Since the skin is on now, I'm sorta done. Next step will be fixing whatever fails.

Box structure is steel, skin is aluminum. The box is 80" wide at the base, 52" tall, and 52" wide at the peak.

i-THXdgrG-X4.jpg

As for the project itself, the details take forever, but I am making headway. Backup cam is in and working. Wiring is sorted. Parksense is sorted. Locking mechanism is sorted out, which took some doing. Missing from the shot below is the spring I added that overcenters to each side and maintains whichever position the lock is in. So great is my faith in this, that I added another manual lock up through the deck as well.

i-T46TkDj-X4.jpg

All in all, I am closing in on the part of the project I fear the most: the aluminum skin. I've never done that before and I'm nervous about how it will go. I'm planning to use Sikaflex 252 with as few fasteners as possible, to allow for some movement in heat. I'm told this works well, guess I'll find out!

After that, it is the other part of the project I fear the most: lots and lots of painting. I hate paint.

neduro

Again, keep getting wound up in fabricating. I'm not sure what my budget on time was for this, but I've gone way beyond it. At least I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out.

I got to where I was pretty happy with the structure, so I pulled it off to work on without the truck:

i-ZRJMK5R-X4.jpg

Then we fabbed doors. At every step, we've been putting a lot of effort into minimizing error- we've been worried about tolerances stacking up when we got to sheet, so lots of squaring and resquaring and that has paid off.

We marked up the aluminum skin and cut it with a jigsaw, before taking it to a sheet metal shop for bends:

i-5QZ948P-X4.jpg

And here are the first 4 panels installed. The Sikaflex is neat stuff, we used their whole system of activators and primers to ensure good bonding.

i-gWn853R-X4.jpg

Now we have some new tricks to learn for the front and roof, each of which have bends along the edges.

I'd like to do a little guide on what we learned from using the Sikaflex, but no time today for that. Seems like information on using it is pretty minimal. I am really impressed- the panels sound totally dead when you hit them, absolutely no tinniness that you would expect from sheet.

jtcym1149

Awesome build. I currently have a longbed with a 3' tall work cap and I have the same idea of the perfect "go away truck" The moto and mtb are cable locked inside and and then the doors are all locked up too. I still keep a watchful eye on the truck when I can but I feel better knowing that the bikes are out of sight. I have a shortbed of the same truck below and use it as my daily. Unfortunately the bed is rotting out on the shortbed and I've been thinking of building it into something similar to what your doing and using the longbed as the daily driver.

20171003_185908.jpg20170927_142441.jpg
Here is some inspiration from the JGR Toyota moto challenge truck. I drew inspiration from the JGR build and being unhappy with a truck camper setup. There's some more pix of the truck on the web if you do some google searching.

LetsGoMoto_Tundra_11-600x400.jpg
toyota-dream-build-tundra-jgr-mx46.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues