Long Range Emergency Communications Set

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Nice writeup. I'm testing for my Technician class later this month and this is giving me some great ideas for my XTerra.

Sent via mobile.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
nice set up. I also like the magazine storage in the dash :ar15:. I am looking to go HAM very soon myself. I picked up a couple of Baofeng handhelds and I am learning how to work them. but I will be adding a vehicle based unit soon. thanks for the write up. I hope to see you around the valley, neighbor.

Mashurst

Adventurer
Very nice setup. It is uncanny how close it is to mine.
7900inAddy250px.jpg

I have a 7900 mounted to the moon roof trim piece on my 06 Commander along with a (not yet installed) 857. The speaker is up behind the rear view. I've only have the Jeep for a few months so it is a work in progress. I am planning a custom roof rack that will incorporate antenna mounts so I’m getting by with a mag mount for now.

I also have the 7900 body mounted under the passenger seat crammed in with all the electro gizmos under there. I like the way you have yours. How did you attach it to the knee bolster? Drill?

I have found a spot for the much bigger 857 body. The little storage nook/tray right under the back, driver’s side window pops out and there is a bit of space in there. I’m thinking I’ll build a mount that attaches to the bottom of the tray so the entire thing can be lifted out. There is also a bit of space above the glove box but it would not be fun to access for radio reprogramming and such. Man they sure stuffed every possible spot in these things with electronics. I have scoured every corner looking for spots to add radios and that is the best I can come up with.

As far as the power wires running to the radio, there are all kinds of opinions on this, but the theory behind what is recommended in the manual is that running both wires all the way back to the battery will yield the quietest radio. This is because any induced current picked up by one wire will be picked up by both wires to in the same degree. This keeps ignition noise out of your radio because the radio only sees the difference between the two wires so if you add or subtract from both in equal measure the radio does not see it.

If what you have works and is safe, than having installed it, I would not change it, but if you have any ignition noise creeping in you know how to fix it too. FYI there is a great grommet in the firewall right up there behind where you have the radio for running wires/Coax. I think in general, cars have been improving in terms of stray EMI. Perhaps because they have so many electronic systems of their own that they need things not to interfere.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
nice set up. I also like the magazine storage in the dash :ar15:. I am looking to go HAM very soon myself. I picked up a couple of Baofeng handhelds and I am learning how to work them. but I will be adding a vehicle based unit soon. thanks for the write up. I hope to see you around the valley, neighbor.

I have a few Baofeng handhelds. People are weird about them. There doesn't seem to be a comfortable median. It's either love or hate with most people. I'm indifferent towards the brand. They transmit and receive well enough which is their only purpose. I have no other interest in amateur radio. Sure, I wish all of my equipment was the best brand and model, but I'm not going to crap all over a product that works or the people who buy them. I've never had one fail, so I'm mostly happy with them.

Also, another option available to those not wanting to take the ham exam is GMRS. All that is required is a fee to the FCC which is considerably higher than the ham exam, but there is no testing. Most cities still have GMRS repeaters available and with the GMRS license you can legally transmit up to 50 watts.

There are a few GMRS repeaters here in Vegas. The highest one operates from the top of Mt. Potosi and reaches far south into CA and covers all of Las Vegas.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
...How did you attach it to the knee bolster? Drill?
Yeah, I just predrilled the pilot holes and used the hardware that came with the radio. The drop down panel isn't just a thin piece of plastic. It has thickness and depth. Front to back of that panel, there's probably about 3/4". I chose that spot for ease of installation, ventilation and access. If I ever need to reprogram, the unit does not need to be removed. Laptop can sit on the seat and the program cable easily connects once you drop the panel.

So far, the radio is quiet and I haven't had any power issues with it. Unless that changes, I won't be changing the wiring. I was surprised that it was just a 2-wire connection. I was expecting it to be a three wire installation. Positive to battery, negative ground, and a positive accessory to switch it on and off.

KC3AUV

Fantastic write up thanks. Nice to hear of more people with Ham set ups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vicali

Adventurer
Put in my 7900 on the weekend, found a good spot in the Tacoma;

12039971384_0d10d4da85_b.jpg

Now I need to get my local repeaters stored..

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Looks nice, Vicali. I installed it in a few other places before I decided on its final location. I needed to drive around with it a few days to get a good feel of where I wanted it. I considered that same location in my Jeep Commander, but decided against it for a couple reasons. It's safer for me to look up than to look down and that cup holder just behind it. If a lid comes off a cup, I'm potentially out a few hundred dollars.

Programming your 7900 from the control panel can be done, but it's a tedious process. If you have the programming software and cable, it's much easier done from a computer. Especially setting your hyper-memories. If you don't already have it, the radio is popular enough where local amateur radio shops will likely have it in stock.

vicali

Adventurer
My other mounting option was going to be a TeckDeck and RAM setup, but I really don't like the look of electronics and cables hanging off the dash.

I thought about the cup holder spillage, but went for it anyways because - 1)that's my spot, so if anyone spills it's going to be me. -2)I'm already pretty annoying about keeping my rig clean.. secured lids only! -3) I've managed to never spill in the years we've had the truck so far..

Looking away from the road is a concern, I find the dials fall to my hand very well there though, and once the presets are in I don't see myself doing much other than running scans while driving.

Bogie

Observer
Nice install, I didn't realize how much in common the Commander has with my Grand Cherokee although I can't use you mounting spot that's where the control head for my siren is (actually in the sunglass holder)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Yeah, that Tech Deck looks like it would clutter the dash and likely block some controls. I recently saw someone with the FT-7800 mounted directly in front of the Tacoma instrument cluster. If that was an option for me, I would have preferred that spot since it's somewhere the eyes look naturally anyway. Unfortunately, it would cover a large portion of the dash warning lights. If you like where it is, that's all that matters.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Nice install, I didn't realize how much in common the Commander has with my Grand Cherokee although I can't use you mounting spot that's where the control head for my siren is (actually in the sunglass holder)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Commander (XK) and the Grand Cherokee (WK) have a lot of common parts. There aren't many aftermarket parts available specifically for the Commander. When I figured out the XK's and WK's used the same suspension lifts, it opened up a whole new world. Stock, the Commander is kind of a dog. For some reason, the stock look reminded me of a wheelchair. With some lift and tire upgrades, it's very capable offroad.

Mashurst

Adventurer
CB, VHF, UHF, FRS, GMRS, etc, and "Long Range Emergency Communications" are mutually exclusive, LOL
I think Long Range is a relative term. In this case, I think he defined what he was referring to as long range and has achieved the standard he set.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
The subject of this thread was the radio installation, but the point was for others to expand to a more reliable form of wilderness communications. Not sure what his point was, so I didn't comment. Could have been a poorly expressed harmless statement or a joke I didn't get.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online