long winded writeup for on-board-hot-shower system

theksmith

Explorer
i just finished my on-board-hot-shower system this evening and i've done a very complete writeup over the past couple days that i thought i'd share: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754

it's yet to be field tested, so there will be tweaks i'm sure. here's the the short version:

10 plate heat exchanger: $45
Shurflo Classic RV pump: $65
Shurflo filter: $10
Watts variable thermostatic mixing valve: $25
Initial handheld shower head and hoses: $30
Waterproof switch, wire, protective loom, inline fuse holder, fuse, connectors: $20
Brass fittings, PVC flex hose, heater hose, steel, aluminum, paint, bolts, nuts, washers: ~$125
Scepter plastic water Jerry cans: $65

P1100044.JPG

P1100062.JPG

P1100070.JPG

barlowrs

Explorer
Wow, great idea and writeup, I am definatly stealing your idea on this one (hope you dont mind) Great JOB! :snorkel:

theksmith

Explorer
thanks guys, certainly not the first to do this by any means, but wanted to document all the details for others.

xpdishn

Adventurer
K, that is THE best idea for on the trail showering ever to be posted. :Wow1:

I just received all the material and hardware to build my own custom semi-permanent water storage for my rig. I will definitely figure out what I need to do to integrate this into my system. Perused the Offroadpassport thread and its great. :wings:

I am going to use a Shurflo for a cold water outlet at the back of the rig for cooking and whatever. Do you think one Shurflo could be used for both operations - split the output lines from the pump??

Will the mods ever cease???

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
K, that is THE best idea for on the trail showering ever to be posted. :Wow1:

I just received all the material and hardware to build my own custom semi-permanent water storage for my rig. I will definitely figure out what I need to do to integrate this into my system. Perused the Offroadpassport thread and its great. :wings:

I am going to use a Shurflo for a cold water outlet at the back of the rig for cooking and whatever. Do you think one Shurflo could be used for both operations - split the output lines from the pump??

Will the mods ever cease???

i think the shurflo classic is rated for "2 fixtures"... which i'm not sure how they determine that rating... i.e. does it provide enough flow for 2 faucets on at the same time? or what? anyway, i think i't would be fine for you, i have the same plan eventually (faucet at the back of the rig).

no, the mods will never cease ;) i just finished an auxillary light on the inside of the rear hatch, worked on my carputer, put in a rearview camera, and added a rear shelf with slide-out table so far this weekend!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I use the fingers off of nitrile gloves to cover my air couplers. Tough, cheap and easy to source.

theksmith

Explorer
You might want to think about some sort of cover to keep dirt and mud out of your couplers. Just a thought :)

thanks, in my full writeup i mention that i will have a hinged door covering the whole area, but i want to test the system out some before i spend any more effort on anything. need to keep dust and bugs out, and also keep random people from playing with it in parking lots.

one day when i have a real front bumper, i'll recess the entire thing into the top of the bumper surface and have a cover over it there too.

xpdishn

Adventurer
The schematic definitely helps. I'll be on the net today tracking down the parts. I'll also look at Offroadpassport forum much more closely today. Now I've got to figure out where the shower ports are to be located on the FJ.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Ironically, I also finished the final hookups on my system as well, except I have the helton hot water exchanger, and I am using an external mixing valve until I figure out where to mount my permanent mixing valve.

Nice job though.

bandit455

Ironically, I also finished the final hookups on my system as well, except I have the helton hot water exchanger, and I am using an external mixing valve until I figure out where to mount my permanent mixing valve.

Nice job though.

Overlander, do you have a writeup of your setup?

K smith, Love the setup, your write-up is by far the clearest one I've found to date, thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__