LongMontEro

Got a hitch installed and my bike rack attached, the hitch sits really low, anyone do any mods or have a solution for a higher hitch spot?

Rig goes in for lift install and driving light install

Ordered a hidden winch mount from ISFR, anyone used that winch mount on a Gen3?

Any options for bumpers aside from ARB?

Cheers,

Chad

erie-1.png

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Heyo,

The rig is looking killer!

Hitch - Yes, all the aftermarket hitches available now hang too long and WARNING - cannot be used for kinetic "snatch" recoveries, they'll rip right out of the sheet metal body. You want to try and find either a now long since discontinued UHAUL made hitch or the original OEM ones. They sit as high up as possible and the difference is that the UHAUL one, while sitting nice and high, is still not snatch proof but the OEM one is. More details:
ASFIR hidden winch mount - I've only heard good things about that item though very few ppl in the USA have it.

Bumpers - there are 3 main options currently - ARB or TRE4x4/China ebay ones or ASFIR.

The ARB one weighs 110lbs by itself so would necessitate HD springs (and then with the winch and skids and sliders you'll probably need top hat spacers too and extended length bump stops).

The TRE4x4 one weighs 70ish lbs but if you add a winch you're in HD territory there too. The TRE4x4 doesn't fit that great though near the edges, it has kind of a big gap and also requires the frame horns to be cut so personally, I wouldn't run it.

ASFIR would probably be the best option for you since you already have the hidden winch mount designed for it and it is also the lightest (around 35lbs I believe) and the cleanest looking (color kinda matches the lower gray trim too). I only know of one person in the USA who has it, guy named Mark in Phoenix, and I've heard he really likes it. I don't have any pics of his rig but here's one from google. Only thing is it is pretty pricey.

2240_600-600.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
ASFIR makes an excellent variety of parts for the Gen 3 Montero.
The only issue that I've noticed is the shipping. The cost of shipping (to the USA) made getting parts from them out of the question IMHO.

The rig is looking good!
Cheers

Heyo,

The rig is looking killer!

Hitch - Yes, all the aftermarket hitches available now hang too long and WARNING - cannot be used for kinetic "snatch" recoveries, they'll rip right out of the sheet metal body. You want to try and find either a now long since discontinued UHAUL made hitch or the original OEM ones. They sit as high up as possible and the difference is that the UHAUL one, while sitting nice and high, is still not snatch proof but the OEM one is. More details:
ASFIR hidden winch mount - I've only heard good things about that item though very few ppl in the USA have it.

Bumpers - there are 3 main options currently - ARB or TRE4x4/China ebay ones or ASFIR.

The ARB one weighs 110lbs by itself so would necessitate HD springs (and then with the winch and skids and sliders you'll probably need top hat spacers too and extended length bump stops).

The TRE4x4 one weighs 70ish lbs but if you add a winch you're in HD territory there too. The TRE4x4 doesn't fit that great though near the edges, it has kind of a big gap and also requires the frame horns to be cut so personally, I wouldn't run it.

ASFIR would probably be the best option for you since you already have the hidden winch mount designed for it and it is also the lightest (around 35lbs I believe) and the cleanest looking (color kinda matches the lower gray trim too). I only know of one person in the USA who has it, guy named Mark in Phoenix, and I've heard he really likes it. I don't have any pics of his rig but here's one from google. Only thing is it is pretty pricey.

View attachment 756910
Thanks man, great info here. Good to know on the hitch, I guess the OEM is pretty tough to locate. I will keep looking. I also considered getting one fabricated, will see.

I do like that aftermarket bumper but might just stick with the stock look and do the hidden winch, could be cool and look rad. One thing I love about the Monty is the front end look. Looks so unique.

ASFIR makes an excellent variety of parts for the Gen 3 Montero.
The only issue that I've noticed is the shipping. The cost of shipping (to the USA) made getting parts from them out of the question IMHO.

The rig is looking good!
Cheers
Yea, I saw they are charging a lot to ship stuff, will see.

keilefson

Yea, I saw they are charging a lot to ship stuff, will see.
Just in case you didn't click all the way through, they do discount the shipping by 50%. I have purchased through them before and they had great customer service as well when I had some questions. Quick shipping too!

Just in case you didn't click all the way through, they do discount the shipping by 50%. I have purchased through them before and they had great customer service as well when I had some questions. Quick shipping too!
I actually bought the hidden winch mount and the compressor skid from them and the shipping was like 120.00 expensive for sure… I was on the fence on the front bumper. I love the look of the front end, so will hold off for now.

On the hunt for the OEM trailer hitch, weird how a holy grail part for these is that. Haha,,..

I have a 73 Porsche 914 and there are holy grail parts but most basic stuff is very available.

Got the lift installed.

Bought it from Luso - Lovell Springs and Koni shocks.

The damn trailer hitch is still bugging me,
Question: I found a UHAUL version and a OEM off a Sport, Is that the same for all models? Should I grab the Uhaul model?

Cheers mates!

DSC01360-small.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven