Lookin to buy a LR3 or LR2, need adivce

REDROVER

Explorer
2004 disco is the way to go if u want LAND ROVER :) but keep in mind that 10 mpg is all u gonna get , ur hummer now is over 17 mpg?

Howski

2004 disco is the way to go if u want LAND ROVER :) but keep in mind that 10 mpg is all u gonna get , ur hummer now is over 17 mpg?
This is a good point. I get about 10 mpg city and 15mpg highway going 75mph. Can get about 16-17mpg if I stick to 70 mph. You're supposed to run premium (91+) gas as well. I know some people just use 87 but I've seen an mpg improvement that makes premium worth the extra few cents.

Scott Brady

Founder
Given your goals, the 2004 Discovery II looks like a great option. We have one here at the office and it is pretty capable and easy to modify. It is the last of the coilers here in the US and had a factory center diff lock and pretty effective traction control (when it is working).

The LR3 is an incredible vehicle. The only nay-sayers I have encountered are the people that have never driven/owned one. Just know that the vehicle has limits to available modifications, but for general exploration, I would take one over the Discovery II. They are considerably more reliable as well.

If you want to drive more technical terrain, big rocks, deep mud and ruts, etc. Get the 04.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Why don't you just build up your H3?

Im going to build it up some, but hummers arent made anymore and I love my Hummer so im going to try and make it last as long as possible, plus aftermarket support for Hummer is disappearing fast, otherwise i would

Nooooooooo haha i get about 10-11 in the city and like 15 on the highway. I have a V8 in mine, plus 2 spare and a Gobi roof rack, so i dont get good mileage haha

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I tell everyone looking for a Land Rover to pay the money and have it checked over by a qualified Land Rover tech before dropping any money. There were engine issues with a certain vin range on the 03 Discos. Mine was one. Bought it cheap with a blown engine and bought a new block from AB and built it. I can't stress how important it is to do your regular oil changes! It is approaching 200,000 kms now. Every vehicle will have issues, my wife's former BMW 325xi cost way more in repairs. The LR3 is a great trail truck too. They do have issues and these can be expensive to fix. Try and buy a 2008 or newer LR3 if that's the route you are going to take. I'm happy with my D2, it's set up for trips and camping and I plan to have it for awhile. My D1 has 445,000 kms (original engine, never had to replace head gaskets) when it went to it's new owner, my P38 had 330,000 kms when it went to it's new owner. Maintain these trucks and they last forever.

spikemd

Explorer
We plan on replacing our 4Runner with an LR3 this fall for my wife. I got bit by the rover-bug after purchasing my P38. I also joined the local Rover club and have met some great people and went on some wonderful trips with the group. For an LR3, I would like to find an HD (Heavy Duty) version but they are pretty rare. They have a factory locking diff and full size spare. I will continue to drive the P38 and it will be my primary expedition vehicle. Eventually, I can see the P38 being replaced by the LR3 as our primary offroad vehicle. The LR3s perform very well on the trail with a small lift and larger tires. The electronics in the newer vehicles are much more robust. The interior in the LR3 is much more refined than the DII and there seem to be fewer overall problems.

Drive both and see which one speaks to you.

Last edited:

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Im looking to get one for exploring/overlanding/other expeditions.
It will prob have a lift on it, bumpers, and roof rack or tent.
Im not looking to do hells revenge in MOAB with it, the lift would have to keep on road stability and comfort and allow for good offroad articulation

Thats my plan for it as of right now.
I really like the looks of Land rovers, its like they are designed right for expeditions.

I just don't want to be putting a lot of miles on my Hummer, because they don't make them anymore and finding parts is going to be hard later on.

You wont necessarily need a lift for the LR3. The air suspension has the ability to raise the car 1.5 inches or so in the off road height setting, and will extend an additional 1-1.5 inches if it becomes high centered or a wheel looses traction. Also research on www.disco3.uk.co The LR2s & 3s (now LR4s) are the most reliable Land Rovers made. They just dont have the same electrical and mechanical issues as the previous models did.

I will say the LR3s dont have the same character as previous models either. But having owned 2 LR3s, 3 Discoveries (1 D1 and 2 D2s), and two Range Rovers (91 and 97 HSE) I can honestly say that I will pick reliability over character. The LR3 is exceptionally capable in stock form. The LR3s come standard with a center differential lock (though they are automatic vs D1 and 04 DII manual). Some LR3s will come with a rear locking differential too. Those LR3s have the heavy duty package. You have to hunt for those. So, just get some good tires and get used to it first. Then decide how you want to modify it. I don't know that you will need large tires, which generally require suspension rods.

Like I said, mechanically the LR3 is far more reliable than previous models. That is from my own personal experience and confirmed by LR mechanics I have spoken to. Heck, go visit LR specific bulletin boards and read through the LR3, Disco and Range Rover respective sections and you will see that there arent near as many posts about LR3 problems as there are with the other models.

You mentioned LR2 in your original post...someone else already mentioned that LR2 doesn't have a low range capability. It does have downhill descent control and pretty good traction control, but no low range. It's really a cross over SUV. Great for urban driving, especially in all weather conditions. But probably not going to do what you want off road. The LR mechanics I have spoken to have said that they are very reliable. Do not confuse the LR2 reliability with Freelander. The same LR mechanics cringe when those come in to the shop. Though again, I don't think Freelanders are relevant to your question. I was making the distinction just to be safe.

So, skip the Discos (including the 04s) and get the LR3. You will be much happier on road and just as happy off road.

disco 03

Bought my 03 DII in 2007, maintenance has been nominal, and all of the serious issues have been caused by trail abuse. I do the recomended maintenance, fix leaks etc. as they appear, and open the hood every time I gas up to eyeball the fluids, sniff for coolant, etc. LR3s and 4s are pretty nice, but I wasn't looking for a truck to go from the Opera to the Rubicon. Keep in mind that most vehicles have peculiarities and personalities, you just need to figure out if working to keep the truck maintained is something you want to do. 03 and 04 DIIs are approaching 10 years in age soon, so they will be 10 year old trucks. For me, I don't mind personalizing my DII for what I want, in my opinion, it is miles above the DI for comfort, and I will get a rock crawler if I ever want to go rock crawling.
Another thing to keep in mind is that soliciting an opinion from a non specific enthusiast board is liking asking "what is the ideal woman for me?" to a group of folks in a bar. Get out and drive some trucks, and start evaluating them. There are folks on these boards who have little to no mechanical experience working on their trucks, but have no problem dispensing advice and or direction. 'Nuff said.

khronus79

Adventurer
I have an 07 LR3, 50k+ miles and 0 problems, average so far is 15/16 mpg with about 80% city driving(it's my daily driver). Family trips are great, the LR3 is extremely comfortable, even the third row seats, space for gear is incredible, I just came back from a 5 day trip with 4 adults and 2 children, that meant I had to use one of the third row seats, and there was plenty of room for all of our stuff(I wish I had taken a picture). On the hwy the LR3 is very comfy, smooth and quiet, there were no complaints from anyone inside the truck during a 3 hour non stop drive. I've have done very mild, very easy offroading(thanks to sunny, flat Florida), and the truck is a champ, certainly much more capable than its driver, it leaves a lot of people in awe and disbelief when they see the truck gliding through mud and slippery terrain.
If you can afford the LR3 go for it, you won't be disappointed. I'm seriously considering buying a second one for the wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal