Looking at a new Dodge, help me decide!!! (Power Wagon vs Cummins)

2500 Power Wagon or 3500 Cummins

• Power Wagon

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Cummins

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • buy several tons of bacon!!!!

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cc93cruiser

Observer
I have a cummins 08 3500 that I absolutely love...... It is true that these rigs come with all the emissions crap- egr and dpf system will eventually fail/need cleaning.. If you were to get a cummins, do yourself a favor and delete all that crap. You will gain mileage and your rig will perform a lot better, realiability goes way back up like the older 5.9's are known to be.. while deleting, you do have to purchase a tuner... Don't believe all the horror stories about tuners, H & S performance makes top notch products with built in guages for just about all drivetrain vitals. There are different power modes too, mine stays in no power mode so I should have no problems with tranny (don't drive rig like a mustang). Not sure about 2013 models, but cummins rigs had an option for a limited slip 11.5 inch rear while the power wagon only came with a 10.5 rear, with the locker options though. If I was in the market for a new Ram, I would get a cummins and do the deletes and get the ARB'S...... You sir, would have the ultimate full size rig.....

Last edited:

Booner

Observer
I've had both. I still have the 5.9 CR Cummins. I do 90% of my driving on paved surfaces, and the diesel shines there. It gets over 20 mpg without babying it, great for an 8000 pound truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I agree on the extra maintenance costs on the diesel, and buying new is a way to avoid those costs to a point. After warranty goes, then you have to deal with it. But, warranty on the Cummins is 100,000 away. On the gas engines it is 60? I'm in the market for a dually now, and am having a huge gas vs diesel debate with myself. Cummins is winning, but mainly because people want the same money for duallies whether they are gas or diesel. Gas models are rare too.

bfdiesel

Explorer
To clear up a missed concept urea injection does nothing for mileage. It is just a NOX emission reducing fluid. The DPF is for soot and is an independent system and the main reason newer diesels get low mpg numbers.

Some one said they never saw a poser drive a power wagon, well there are a couple I know and I laugh every time I see them. Theirs are for cool not use just like most the jeep rubicons around here with street tires. There are people that use them and that's all good.

And I still say better off with bacon.

oldestof11

Observer
To clear up a missed concept urea injection does nothing for mileage. It is just a NOX emission reducing fluid. The DPF is for soot and is an independent system and the main reason newer diesels get low mpg numbers.

Urea does help. It allows more timing and hotter burns (great for power and mileage) which creates the NOX emission. Then urea cools the exhaust and the molecules help break the NOX apart into nitrogen and water. Also, with a hotter burn is less soot.

I did see where it vaporizes and becomes ammonia and CO2. Since they get a mileage increase but now can emit CO2, they will ban that next...

shellriv

I have both and 04 3500 diesel and 07 wagon If i had to choose and be down to one truck I would keep the diesel !!!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Any emissions equipped diesel regardless of urea or not should have the DPF and EGR systems removed for the longevity of the motor. Plus there are large gains in fuel mileage associated with doing these mods. I picked up a solid 3mpg when I did mine. That is a $16,000 savings in fuel over my projected 300k mile life of the truck. In my mind if you don't feel comfortable deleting it, then just get the gas motor.

racerjb

Observer
I think it comes down one question would you rather tow or go off road? Like everyone says the diesel is great for power, towing and longevity. However, if you don't plan on towing a lot or putting on lots of miles and want more off road then the Power Wagon for sure. I have 2010 Cummins and love it but I tow a lot and do about 35k miles a year. If I didn't tow that much or do that many miles I would get the Wagon. I like the fact the Wagon has the lockers, sway, level, winch all factory. I know you can add all that to the cummins but it's expensive and its still a big heavy truck.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the look of that Power Wagon and have only heard good things about them. As you have mentioned before you only have a budget for a new rig, and no add-ons like a winch and other goodies. Sure the Cummins is a great motor but a stock truck alone without a few off-road accessories will probably not cut it for you. I really think you have answered your own question by stating your needs and your budget. Also, be warned, some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wife.....:Wow1:

Dixie27

A CTD outfitted with proper basic recovery gear and a driver who knows what they are doing can go justa about anywhere .....Will some types of terrain be tougher than others (MUD) yes, but most are not competing in a mud bog 100 percent of the time. Its size alone will limit certain trails as would the powerwagon's..One thing for sure, it will haul your gear 3 others if need be and get u alot further on a tank with alot less fuel ,,,find an 06 and spend the extra on a solid suspension setup.....maintained it will out live u.....

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Any emissions equipped diesel regardless of urea or not should have the DPF and EGR systems removed for the longevity of the motor. Plus there are large gains in fuel mileage associated with doing these mods. I picked up a solid 3mpg when I did mine. That is a $16,000 savings in fuel over my projected 300k mile life of the truck. In my mind if you don't feel comfortable deleting it, then just get the gas motor.
Are you reinstalling the emission equipment every two yrs or is it registered in a non-smog county?
A year ago,a shop I use had a Mexican 2010 CTD in. Mads Electronics were able to get a Smarty to work on it. This truck did not have a DPF but did have an EGR due to sketchy availability of ULSD down in the mainland. The shop deleted the EGR and the Smarty fooled the ECM into thinking the emissions equipment was still on. Nice truck when they got done along with the Thuren suspension.

Spencinator

Adventurer
First off I love both these trucks. The power wagons look awesome, get cool options and are stout rigs for sure. The Cummins is a beast of an engine with its upsides and downsides. Its hard because they both have there advantages and disadvantages. I will tell you my experience.

I bought my standard cab cummins to tow my off road rig at the time. Fast forward to now, my truck is now my off road, camper, daily driver, do it all machine. I have spent money on service and more on fuel but I love it. It does everything I need it to do and more. 17-20mpg average is a plus over the 12-17mpg out of the gas but I probably pay more in services on mine. As far as the cummins being 500# heavier and that having an effect off road, I'm not worried about it. As we all know there are Unimogs, MAN, Unicats, etc currently traveling the world and those trucks have to be thousands of pounds heavier then my Dodge. I also wont be following any jeep down a trail, I've accepted that. I chose my Dodge for fuel economy, towing capabilities, I wanted a diesel for lifetime of engine, and I knew I would have it for a very long time. Just about to hit 200,000 miles on mine.

When it comes down to it, My Dodge will get a pop top camper, gear, fuel, water, dirt bike, gear, food, along with my family. That weight would exceed the gvwr of a gas version of my era of Dodge.

Think about what you will do with the truck, drive both, and decide from there.

Fun fact- My '98 Single cab Cummins weighs the same as a 2012 Power Wagon. Just looked it up.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I vote Power Wagon, but then again it's a biased decision cause I own one.:victory:

That's a sexy looking truck right there!!!! is it an Power Wagon ST or a mid level Power Wagon? it has the ST lack of two tone (looks better to me) and the ST black grille but the mid level hood badges and rear fender badges. Which is it? Looks great either way! I want white but, it's too far away! I like your wheels, what kind are they?

Well, I am going to get a Power Wagon tomorrow! Mineral Gray metallic 2012! It just came off the truck from Ram! (weird not to say Dodge, LOL!) Cummins won the poll here BUT, Power Wagon won the poll in my household- at the dealership today, my wife said "no, you are NOT getting a diesel truck!" so, Power Wagon it is! LOL! Woulda gotten it tonight but, we weren't 100% in agreement by the time the dealer closed. On the plus side, other than the two (one gray, one black) at the dealer, I haven't seen any Power Wagons around here so, I am going to have a unique vehicle!!!

Last edited:

AZ POWER WAGON

That's a sexy looking truck right there!!!! is it an Power Wagon ST or a mid level Power Wagon? it has the ST lack of two tone (looks better to me) and the ST black grille but the mid level hood badges and rear fender badges. Which is it? Looks great either way! I want white but, it's too far away! I like your wheels, what kind are they?

Well, I am going to get a Power Wagon tomorrow! Mineral Gray metallic 2012! It just came off the truck from Ram! (weird not to say Dodge, LOL!) Cummins won the poll here BUT, Power Wagon won the poll in my household- at the dealership today, my wife said "no, you are NOT getting a diesel truck!" so, Power Wagon it is! LOL! Woulda gotten it tonight but, we weren't 100% in agreement by the time the dealer closed. On the plus side, other than the two (one gray, one black) at the dealer, I haven't seen any Power Wagons around here so, I am going to have a unique vehicle!!!

Thanks! It's a ST. I had the dealer throw in the stickers as part of the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach