Looking for a Tripod

seth_js

Explorer
I am looking for an ultra light and very compact tripod (smallest I can find that still reaches at least 40"). Any recommendations?

photoleif

Observer
seth_js said:
I am looking for an ultra light and very compact tripod (smallest I can find that still reaches at least 40"). Any recommendations?
does it need to be a tripod? you could fit a 1/4-20 to the end of your trekking pole and be done with it. if it has to be a tripod, then either carbon-fiber or titanium. i buy exclusively from B&H, and have never been disappointed. like the other good NYC shop, adorama, they have full specs on everything they sell. you can find weight and composition data in the spec sheets.

seth_js

Explorer
Welp, I don't know much about them or my options for that matter. I just know I have missed a lot of cool photos by not having someone to hold the camera or something to put the camera on (especially since I explore alone most of the time).

I am looking for something that will fit in a standard size backpack. I like the trekking pole idea, but I don't use poles while hiking.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
There are a lot of tripods that fit what you are looking for, it all comes down to $$$ and you may be surprised what a good tripod can run. Gitzo has several models that fit your criteria depending on whether weight or strength is more important. I have heard many glowing reports of the Feisol 3401 triopd (www.feisol.com) and they have an American distributor now who is very friendly and helpful. I recently checked out a carbon Velbon at a local camera store and was extremely impressed with it, especially for the price. They have come a long way in all areas with their new 500 series and the 540 should fit your needs well.

As far as a head, there are many options. In the world of ball heads, Acratech, Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Markins and Bogen/Manfrotto all have nice offerings, it just comes down to what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. I think for me, in your same situation, with a hefty but not unlimited budget, I would check out a Velbon 540 or Feisol 3401 with a RRS BH-25 head.

Thom Hogan has an excellent article on choosing the right tripod here that is well worth a read. Also, Galen Rowell has a great article on his two-pound tripod that is unfortunately out of date, but talks about the importance of having a tripod that is so light and small -- at the expense of almost every other consideration -- that you never leave home without it.

Last edited:

photoleif

Observer
seth_js said:
Welp, I don't know much about them or my options for that matter. I just know I have missed a lot of cool photos by not having someone to hold the camera or something to put the camera on (especially since I explore alone most of the time).

I am looking for something that will fit in a standard size backpack. I like the trekking pole idea, but I don't use poles while hiking.
aha, well then a compact tripod it is, for you. here is a 3.5-lb titanium tripod at b&h, per their search. if the link fails, search for 784040 (the item number) in the search field. it's a bushnell, not exactly the best brand around.

if cost is no object (for argument's sake, of course), then go with a 2.2-lb gitzo. similarly if that link doesn't work, it's item G1155T. there's a raft of other tripods in between, and i also think their search doesn't properly return products by weight -- it missed the gitzo for instance. i just searched gitzo individually...

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
photoleif said:
aha, well then a compact tripod it is, for you. here is a 3.5-lb titanium tripod at b&h, per their search. if the link fails, search for 784040 (the item number) in the search field. it's a bushnell, not exactly the best brand around.

photoleif indavertantly brings up a good point, you need to figure out exactly what will and will not fit in your backpack. I'm not sure that one will.

seth_js

Explorer
photoleif said:
if your camera is light, it shouldn't be a big deal. if you have a big camera, or an 80-200 zoom, i'd think twice.

I think my camera weighs about 6 ounces.

http://www.h20camera.com/camera

photoleif said:
see if you can find one locally to try out

Yeah, I called two places and stopped by a place on the way home (all Slik distributors) and none of them even had the part number in their system. I think it's a discontinued model.

photoleif

Observer
seth_js said:
I think my camera weighs about 6 ounces.
http://www.h20camera.com/camera

OH, well heck. hahaha. that changes everything. just get the lightest most compact tripod you can find, and you're done. stay away from strong winds and you'll have nothing to be too concerned about. you might want to suspend a small weight (ie a bag with a rock in it, for instance) below the camera for some MORE weight.

my setup, tripod plus camera plus lenses is just a bit heavier than this. i've since abandoned the 3265 head in favor of an acratech.

mamiya+zoom2.jpg

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Oh, try one of these!

I saw a similar model at Denver Pro Photo yesterday. Overall impression was the legs are great but the head was a bit of a let down. I may buy one and replace the head with a Leica Large ball head or a RRS BH-25. I think this combination would be good enough for (but totally maxed out by) a DSLR with a 180/2.8, which is the largest/heaviest lens I would be carrying when minimal weight is top priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk