Looking for first expedition/overland rig

I don't mind the budget badge :)) Perhaps I should just drive a Montero to see how it drives.

Nothing wrong with budget SUV's. In many ways they are better than there luxury counterparts. They typically have smaller yet more fuel efficient engines, they can have older but less complex off-road systems, parts and repairs are typically cheaper, most of the time they can be had with manual transmission for those who prefer shifting and the cost a lot less.

nasko

Adventurer
I have seen the older Pajero/Montero and really liked them, but the newer ones - the 3rd Gen look a bit more car-like. (no frame other than the suspension, independent rear, etc.) Is the 3rd Gen, as capable as the previous ones, or is it geared towards luxury? I saw a few 3rd Gen Montero's that seem to do OK in the dirt, and in all honesty it is not like I will do anything extreme, the Xterra in almost stock form does everything that I ask of it off road. Would the 3rd Gen match that? Here are a few pics of my usual trails I take the X throughIMGP7527.jpgIMGP7565.jpgIMGP7594.jpg

Last edited:

nasko

Adventurer
bigmack, thanks. I like the X, but I am always looking for what is out there. Scrubber3, do you say that out of experience with either the Xterra or a Gen 3 Montero, or just an opinion? I like the looks of the Montero, but the X has over 10" ground clearance stock, which from what I see is more than a modified 3rd gen Montero. I am just asking for opinions, perhaps from people that heave driven one or the other, or preferably both. Cheers.
Nasko

The Gen III is very capable. It can take on obstacles in 2wd that other vehicles can not do in 4wd. I have seen them out perform G-wagons with front and rear lockers. Forget everything you know about unibody vehicles, because the Gen III has a unique sub frame that connects the suspension to the unibody. The Gen III also has larger components than previous Montero's. I has larger axle shafts. The independent suspension is way over built. My biggest complaint about the Gen III is the wheel openings could be larger. I would like to be able to fit 35's on a Gen III.

scrubber3

Not really here
bigmack, thanks. I like the X, but I am always looking for what is out there. Scrubber3, do you say that out of experience with either the Xterra or a Gen 3 Montero, or just an opinion? I like the looks of the Montero, but the X has over 10" ground clearance stock, which from what I see is more than a modified 3rd gen Montero. I am just asking for opinions, perhaps from people that heave driven one or the other, or preferably both. Cheers.
Nasko

I had a 2002 Xterra. I loved it! I have been around and driven a few gen 3 monteros. While they are fully independent suspension, they are very capable offroad/over landing vehicles. Based on my on hand experience, I can tell you that the 3rd gen montero is equally capable to any stock Xterra.

nasko

Adventurer
Cheers guys, i will take a look at the 2003 mentioned above and hopefully own one Mitsubishi soon. My first car back in the day was 1984 Colt, loved it.

mrdnmz

wish to be on the way...
Cheers guys, i will take a look at the 2003 mentioned above and hopefully own one Mitsubishi soon. My first car back in the day was 1984 Colt, loved it.

y2ebesav.jpg

I've got 2001 Rodeo/Frontera. I recommend 3.2 V6 fuel. Whenever you need power just push the pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nasko

Adventurer
While I looked at a couple of Montero's I ended up getting a 1999 4runner which I enjoyed for a few months but got a very good offer and ended up selling. For almost the same money that I sold the 99 4runner I got a 2005 manual Xterra with close to 100K km less than the Toyota that I had. It had 129K km when I bought it. It is the base model, with the manual transmission. I ended up putting my home made aluminum roof basket in, ordered some custom made skid plates and welded a hitch receiver to the front so I can bring my winch when needed. I am happy so far. I gotta say the 4L engine is absolutely great. The truck over all is not as luxurious as a Montero but for my use it has been good. Not sure why I did not buy the Montero, they are definitely nice trucks, and if they were available with the diesel motor that Mitsubishi sells elsewhere I would probably be driving one. Cheers

SoCalMonty

Explorer
While I looked at a couple of Montero's I ended up getting a 1999 4runner which I enjoyed for a few months but got a very good offer and ended up selling. For almost the same money that I sold the 99 4runner I got a 2005 manual Xterra with close to 100K km less than the Toyota that I had. It had 129K km when I bought it. It is the base model, with the manual transmission. I ended up putting my home made aluminum roof basket in, ordered some custom made skid plates and welded a hitch receiver to the front so I can bring my winch when needed. I am happy so far. I gotta say the 4L engine is absolutely great. The truck over all is not as luxurious as a Montero but for my use it has been good. Not sure why I did not buy the Montero, they are definitely nice trucks, and if they were available with the diesel motor that Mitsubishi sells elsewhere I would probably be driving one. Cheers

Congrats on the Xterra, they're definitely well liked by owners and they seem to have great durability/reliability...on par with anything else out of Japan for sure! I dug them a LOT when they came out, but back then I couldn't afford them, and my tastes changed by the time I had money in my pocket. Still, they are good looking, capable trucks - kudos to you sir!

Yes, it's such a bummer Americans don't get all those wonderful little diesel powerplants found in Europe and Asia. Both for cars, and for trucks. I would LOVE a little 1.3L turbo diesel commuter that's actually peppy and fun to drive, while returning 35+ mpg averages in the real world. But 'Mericans still want their big, inefficient monsters. The tide is turning, but slowly. Had the 2.5TD been available here, that's what my Montero would have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven