Looking for first expedition/overland rig

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I get the negativity on the exploder...never drove one I liked. Seen some with a bunch of work do well, but not something I would ever consider. Sometimes certain rigs just wont work for a person even if they have positive attributes.

Raven Rider

Rev. Jerry
I'm sold so 2 quick questions what is the difference in the LS and the Sport? What year Montero should I consider? Can you please IM me here. Thanks

bloodycape

Observer
I do like the idea of the 2dr Montero/Raider, but it seems like it would be hard to find one within budget, not to mention most of the models I see lack the back seat, which I would prefer to have. Anyone care to comment how they(first gen Montero/Raider that is) ride and handle(on & off the road)?

I also noticed there was a 2dr Trooper, did those ever make it to the US, and would they be close to the 2dr Cherokee, Montero, or 2dr Tahoe/Yukon in size?

I'm sold so 2 quick questions what is the difference in the LS and the Sport? What year Montero should I consider? Can you please IM me here. Thanks

The two types of Montero are the Fullsize (1989-2006) and the Montero Sport (1997-2004). Which Montero is best for you all depends on your needs, budget and mechanical ability. For instance a 2004 Montero will cost more up front, but it will require fewer repairs than a 1989 Montero. The Fullsize Montero came with seating for 7 , a locking rear differential, a heavier frame etc. I really like the fullsize Montero. It seems that the suspension is more refined on the fullsize Montero. The Sport is also an excellent vehicle but only seats 5 passengers. Midway through its lifespan it switched from a leaf sprung rear to a coil sprung rear end. Personally I prefer the 1992-2000 fullsize Montero with the 3.5 and lock rear diff which can be found on the SR model (1995-1996) and the those Monteros equipt with the winter package (1997-1999) Here is a vehicle rundown of both vehicles and a list of the year to year changes. Personally if I had it all to do all over again I would get a 2003+ Gen III Montero, but I will stick with my 2000 Gen II.5 Montero for a few more years because it only has 31K miles on it

VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS FOR GEN II (1992-1997) and GEN II.5 (1998-2000) MONTERO
Redesigned for 1992, Montero retained the 4-door body and 3.0-liter V6 of the prior generation, adding eight horsepower (now 151). Base, RS, and luxury LS models had 5-speed manual shift or optional 4-speed automatic; the sportier SR was automatic only. The 4x4 wagon had a side-hinged, swing-open rear door. The SR edition had fender flares and a 31-inch wheel/tire package. All models got new "Active-Trac" on-demand, full-time 4-wheel drive with shift-on-the-fly between 2WD and 4WD. Automatic-locking front hubs permitted use of 4WD on dry pavement. Also standard were 4-wheel disc brakes, with antilocking optional for the SR, and standard on LS.

YEAR TO YEAR CHANGES

1993 Mitsubishi Montero: Availability of antilock braking expanded this year, now standard on the SR as well as the LS, and optional on the RS. A leather/wood cabin trim package became available, including hide trimmed seats, steering wheel, and door panels; plus burled-wood dashboard accents.
1994 Mitsubishi Montero: A driver-side airbag went into 1994 Monteros, which could get a larger dual-cam V6 rated at 215-horsepower, 225-torque (standard in SR). The rear differential ratio on all 3.5L Montero's was 4.63. All models now had 7-passenger seating, with the addition of a 2-person, third-row bench. Base and RS Monteros were gone.
1995 Mitsubishi Montero: For '95, a more powerful (177-horsepower) engine with four valves per cylinder entered base LS models. California vehicles got a 168-horsepower engine. The SR again used a dual-cam 3.5-liter engine with 215 horsepower. A rear locker was standard equipment on all SR Montero's.
1996 Mitsubishi Montero: Dual airbags came in 1996 on both the base LS and upscale SR Monteros. The folding 3-place middle bench seat added a split backrest for greater hauling versatility.
1997 Mitsubishi Montero: All '97s got a single-cam, 200-horsepower 228-torque 3.5-liter V6. The LS lost its 5-speed manual transmission. Rear Locker was only offered with the winter package. The differential ratio was changed to 4.27 on all 3.5 Montero's.
1998 Mitsubishi Montero: Just one regular Montero model remained for '98, wearing a "safari-style" facelift which included the blister fenders. Also, antilock brakes are now standard. The leather also seams to be a much higher quality
1999 Mitsubishi Montero: Other than declining sales, nothing was new for the Montero.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero: An upscale Endeavor edition joined this year, featuring wood interior trim, heated leather seats, a power driver's seat, heated mirrors, and power sunroof. Base models gained a security system with keyless entry, a CD player, and a roof rack. The rear locker was no longer offered as an option.

97808081990316-480.jpg

97808081990412-480.jpg

Here is some info on the Montero Sport.

VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS FOR MONTERO SPORT
Mitsubishi entered the midsize sport-utility market during the 1997 model year, adding the new Montero Sport as a smaller-size companion to the long-lived regular Montero. Built on the same chassis as Mitsubishi Triton Pickup, the Sport had a shorter, lighter, and much lower body. Models included an entry-level ES with 2-wheel drive, an LS with either 2- or 4-wheel drive, and an XLS offered only with 4-wheel drive. All Sports carried Mitsubishi's veteran 3.0-liter V6 engine, with the exception of the ES, which used a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder. The ES and 4WD LS had a standard 5-speed manual transmission, while other models got a 4-speed automatic.

YEAR TO YEAR CHANGES

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A 2-wheel-drive model joined for 1998, in top XLS trim. Formerly optional, antilock brakes became standard on the LS 4x4 as well as XLS models. The 4-wheel-drive XLS added heated seats and door mirrors, plus a locking rear differential that would be useful in tough off-road situations.
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A new luxury Limited model joined the Montero Sport lineup, equipped with the bigger Montero's 3.5-liter V6 engine. Available with either 2- or 4-wheel drive, the Limited model featured a unique chrome grille with fog lamps, leather seats, power moonroof, and other amenities.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A mild facelift included a fresh front-end look and black tailgate trim. The LImited got a new monochrome exterior. Interiors were revised with 2-tone color schemes and larger front cupholders in a revised console. Rear coil springs replaced leaf springs, and all but the price-leader ES got larger front brakes and 16-inch wheels. The ES dropped its 4-cylinder engine in favor of the 3.0-liter V6, and lost its manual transmission. The automatic gained electronic shift control that adapts to driving style. An antitheft engine immobilizer was integrated with the ignition key. A limited-slip differential was included on Limited and available for XLS, replacing the previous lock-rear-differential option.
2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A new 3.5XS sport-trimmed model joined the lineup in 2001. All models added rear child-seat anchors, driver's-seatbelt pretensioner, front-seatbelt load-force limiters, and structural strengthening. All models also qualified as Low Emissions Vehicles in all 50 states this year.
2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A more-sophisticated 4WD system, called All4-wheel drive, replaced a 4WD system that had to be disengaged on dry pavement for 2002. Among other additions this year: a color-keyed grille for the Limited, tube-type side steps standard on LS and XLS and optional on ES, and platinum-finish gauges on all but the ES.
2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A .08-inch higher roof is the only significant change to the Montero Sport for '03.
2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: A 3.5-liter V6 is now standard on both the LS and XLS, instead of just the XLS, this year.

0386-046-front-angle-480.jpg

0386-048-rear-3-4-480.jpg

VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS FOR GEN III MONTERO
Mitsubishi's full-size sport utility vehicle got a major redesign for 2001. Longer, lower and wider than the 1992-2000 generation, the SUV gained a new independent rear suspension. Unlike most full-size SUVs, the Montero had unibody construction instead of a body-on-frame design. While the vehicle was a unibody design, it retained a separate and unique sub-frame for the suspension. It also had a right-hinged cargo door instead of a liftgate or tailgate, but lacked the V8 engine that powered most big SUVs. The previous version's 3.5-liter V6 engine returned, but delivering slightly more torque. A four-speed automatic transmission and part-time four-wheel drive went into the base XLS model. Mitsubishi's upscale Montero Limited featured a five-speed automatic with a separate manual-shifting gate, plus ActiveTrac four-wheel drive that could be used on dry pavement. Both models included low-range gearing and rode on 16-inch alloy wheels. Antilock all-disc braking and front side airbags were standard. The Limited came with leather upholstery, heated power front seats, and a sunroof. Seven-passenger seating included a two-place third-row bench that could be removed or folded into the rear cargo floor. Competitors included the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon, Ford Expedition, and Toyota Land Cruiser.

YEAR TO YEAR CHANGES

2002 Mitsubishi Montero: Available suedelike upholstery and revised exterior trim highlighted 2002 changes to the larger of Mitsubishi's two SUVs. New XLS options included rear air conditioning, a power front passenger seat, and a Touring Package that added ultrasuede seat trim and a sunroof. The XLS gained chrome grille accents this year, while the Limited's grille and trim were now color-keyed.
2003 Mitsubishi Montero: Upgraded powertrains and an antiskid system were new for 2003, along with cosmetic revisions. The new, bigger 3.8-liter V6 engine produced 215 horsepower (up 15) and yielded 13 additional pounds-feet of torque. This year, the XLS adopted the Limited's five-speed automatic transmission with its manual shift gate. The XLS also upgraded to the Limited's ActiveTrac four-wheel-drive system, which can be used on dry pavement. Mitsubishi's new antiskid system included traction control, and was included in both models. Body cladding was revised, and a new grille flaunted the Mitsubishi logo. The split second-row bench seat gained a center headrest and three-point seatbelt. Integrated running boards were lighted on the Limited, which added a tire-pressure monitor. Rear air conditioning was optional for both models.
2004 Mitsubishi Montero: Front side airbags are optional instead of standard on the 2004 Montero. Mitsubishi did, however, add a tire-pressure monitor to the list of Montero's standard equipment this year.
2005 Mitsubishi Montero: Mitsubishi's Montero exchanges standard 16-inch wheels for 17s in its only change for 2005.
2006 Mitsubishi Montero: There were no significant changes for the 2006 Montero.

0249-046-front-angle-480.jpg

bigmack

Observer
It is a great post, but he is missing some info about 2dr variant, which the OP has some interest in.

How are the prices on the gen 1 and 2 models(non-sport).

It is a great post, but he is missing some info about 2dr variant, which the OP has some interest in.

How are the prices on the gen 1 and 2 models(non-sport).

I did leave out the gen I info, I will see what I can find out on the gen I 2 door and 4 door models. I will then try to get it posted as a sticky in the Mitsubishi section so it is more accessible.

bloodycape

Observer
I guess right now the models I will be looking at a few different models and see what I like the best, that fits my budget the best. Thank you.

bloodycape

Observer
I think MPG would be similar on both seeing as the Montero comes in at around 400-600lbs more vs the Xterra S/C. The Xterra models with supercharged & 4x4 make 18mpg freeway(goes up to 20mpg in the non-s/c V6 models), and 14-15mpg city out of a ~19 gallon tank. I think some of that has to do with the fact the Montero comes with a 5-speed auto vs the 4-speed auto of the Xterra; plus the VG33 V6 in the Xterra is a bit of an older design so that may be a factor also. That gen Montero you are looking at also makes 18mpg highway, while city is a lower 13mpg out of a ~23 gallon tank. Not a real different in mpg, but the Montero is a bit larger, so that may or may not be a plus for you.

I personally like the Xterra more vs that gen Montero as it is a smaller suv, and comes with the sort of unique(at least to me) roof-rack that offers extra bit of storage. Plus I think you have some cheaper power upgrade on the Xterra, if needed, since your particular model comes with a supercharger, which is never really a bad thing.

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
The problem with supercharged engines in the real world is that they require premium gas and in truck applications very rarely provide the addition fuel economy per dollar-litre that the manufacturer promises.

As a general rule don't believe any manufacturer's claims for fuel economy for their trucks. They are mostly all "cooked" results via rolling road tests without real world aero drag applied. They apply a formula after the fact that doesn't cut it.

IME the best rule of thumb for finding cruise mpg accuracy is comparing cruising RPM and torque at that engine speed across a bunch of different vehicles. Build a spreadsheet; if one vehicle has really good mpg numbers and has a mountain of torque at those speeds then the mpg numbers might be in the realm of real world attainment.

There are web sites with real world data out there. Not hard to find via google.

nasko

Adventurer
I am very familiar with what they are rated for, I was looking out for real world user info. Checked Fuelly.com but there is not enough empirical data for the Montero. I definitely do not want to add power to the X, if I had known more back then when I got the X, I would have waited longer to find one with the NA engine. Live and learn, the X has been fairly reliable, happy with it, was just seeing what is out there and the Montero looks good.

bloodycape

Observer
I got my info from a mix of fueleconomy.gov site and forums via google search. The S/C VG33 max tq starts at 2,800 rpm and 4,800 rpm for hp vs the 3.8 in the Montero at 3,250 rpm for tq, and 5,500 rpm for hp. That maybe a good place to start, and then see from there where your crusing rpm would be when you are on your normal route and see if you can compare that with what the Montero makes based on user reviews.

Apples to Oranges

Comparing the Montero to the xterra is like comparing apples to oranges. The Montero is in a whole different class. The Montero is a flagship SUV like the Land Cruiser and the Nissan Patrol. The xterra is a budget SUV and it's in the same class as the Montero Sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven